Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    As long as they don’t give my location information to my girlfriend I can care less.
    who gives a ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by ray1b View Post
    As long as they donít give my location information to my girlfriend I can care less.
    Haha
    Location based advertising is nothing new and exactly what that article hints at.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    From Palm's statement .. "Palm takes privacy very seriously, and offers users ways to turn data collecting services on and off."

Other than the ability to turn off location data sent to Google what other mechanisms does Palm provide to turn off data collection?
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Yea Palm has a privacy statement, if you trust Palm collecting data they really don't need, well now you know they're doing it.
    They don't "need" this data? Are you sure? You know enough about the Pre, a device you don't own, enough about the data that's being collected, and enough about Palm to know that the data is something for which they have no need? I'm impressed...
    Quote Originally Posted by hnharrison24 View Post
    No. What would Palm gain by doing this? It has a far greater potential to blow up in their faces and they'd lose the trust of ALL their customers for zero profit.
    How do you know Palm does not get a cut from Sprint's tethering fees? And even if not, the relationship with Sprint and Palm is very strong, I would not be surprised if Palm did report something like this to Sprint. Regarding "trust" you broke that trust if you tether without paying, since it goes against your agreement with Sprint.

Palm knowing what you have installed could also result in efforts by Palm to crack down on anyone running most anything Palm does not want to see you running.

Quote Originally Posted by hnharrison24 View Post
    Location based advertising is nothing new and exactly what that article hints at.
    Well the way Palm is doing it is rather new since it involves hand held devices and proves this all goes beyond everyone here being (paraphrasing) "too little for Palm to care about your personal data". Palm's going to use your data for their profit. All of you may even get your own personal ad profile with Palm. This will make the junk mail in your mailbox look like child's play.

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    They don't "need" this data? Are you sure? You know enough about the Pre, a device you don't own, enough about the data that's being collected, and enough about Palm to know that the data is something for which they have no need? I'm impressed...
    Well you go right ahead and explain why they "need" the data. Don't give me any guesses, I want hard facts.

They don't need it, but the door is open for you to prove me wrong.

They don't need it, but they're going to use it, for their own profit. The funny thing is, they actually SELL a device that they're going to use as an advertising tool . They should have given you the things for free.
    Well you go right ahead and explain why they "need" the data. Don't give me any guesses, I want hard facts.

They don't need it, but the door is open for you to prove me wrong.

They don't need it, but they're going to use it, for their own profit. The funny thing is, they actually SELL a device that they're going to use as an advertising tool . They should have given you the things for free.
    Why would I "give you facts"? You gave us none. You stated something that you don't know about. I simply asked. You know they don't need this, how?

I can't tell you what they need it for; however, I can offer up enough possibilites to make a reasonable case that they do need it.

My point and yours are basically the same. You're saying I don't know whether or not they need it. I'm saying the same thing about you.

The difference is, I haven't said they do or don't, only that it's a possiblity.

Yes, it's a possibility that they are gong to sell the information. It's also a possibility that they are going to use the information to guage how stable their brand new, first time tested in the public WebOS operates, how well the HTML/CSS/Javascript based programs function on it, etc.

But since we're talking possibilities and suppositions rather than facts, here's another possibility for you, the same company may also be doing the same thing with your phone. Of course, with WinMo and a ROM based system, it would be a bit more difficult to track it down.
    ^ That spin is too funny. ROTFL!!!
    ^ That spin is too funny. ROTFL!!!
    What spin? I said I don't know (I realize that may be totally foreign to you...), and speculated.

Yours is also speculation. You don't know that they don't need the information. You don't even know that they're not doing the same thing with your device. Sadly, it's just one more opportunity to pile on to a device that youd don't own, simply because you prefer something else.

The real truth is that this is a bunch of hubdub over nothing. As I've seen this discussed on in other "arenas" I've found it interesting that it appears that the more a person is technically oriented, the less this concerns them. Probably because the more technically oriented realize just exactly how much information all of us have floating around "out there".
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    ...I've found it interesting that it appears that the more a person is technically oriented, the less this concerns them. Probably because the more technically oriented realize just exactly how much information all of us have floating around "out there".
    Well in my regard you are very wrong in that statement.

For someone who is trying to take an angle of not knowing, you now take this personal attack angle. Where you speculate that my desire to not share data with Palm is a measure of my technical experience.

I guess Hess is a newbie fear monger for saying:
    ...My approach to disable this, which may not stick across WebOS upgrades, was to comment out the 'exec' line in /etc/event.d/uploadd and reboot. However, then I noticed a contextupload process running. This is started by dbus, so the best way to disable it seems to be: rm /usr/bin/contextupload

BTW, since Palm has lawyers, they have a privacy policy, which covers their *** fairly well regarding all this, without going into details or making clear that the above data is being uploaded.
    Oh well, Hess gave the warning. Thanks Joey.

So freakin' what?? How, exactly, is any of this data that they're collecting going to have any negative impact on you? Do you have a specific issue, or are you just complaing about invasion of your privacy on general principle? If it's the latter, either give your phone back or get over it.

Like I said earlier, this very site is collecting and keeping data about your usage. Why doesn't that (on principle) bug you?
    Yeah, right. I said every one that feels that way is a "newbie fear-monger". You don't read very well, do you?

Since Joey Hess was able to go to his open device, and you are not able to do the same on your closed Palm Treo Pro, what are you doing to find out how secure (or insecure) your device is?
    Last edited by hparsons; 08/14/2009 at 04:12 PM.
    Well in my regard you are very wrong in that statement.

For someone who is trying to take an angle of not knowing, you now take this personal attack angle. Where you speculate that my desire to not share data with Palm is a measure of my technical experience.

No personal attack was meant twoards you at all. I know nothing about your technical abilites. However, as I said (in the part that you cut out) I've noticed this trend in multiple arenas. There are several non-phone specific IT forums I'm on where this has been brought up (I don't think you're on any of them), and consensus among most of them are that it's a non-issue.
    Here's the proof, that Palm is planning to use the GPS data they receive for advertising.

The US Patent Application:
    United States Patent Application 20090197619
    Kind Code A1
    Colligan; Edward T. ; et al. August 6, 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SYSTEM AND METHOD FOR PROVIDING ADVERTISEMENT DATA TO A MOBILE COMPUTING DEVICE

Abstract
    A mobile device includes a processor and a memory coupled to the processor and configured to store user-specific data. The processor is configured to access data indicating a position of the mobile device and provide advertisement data based upon the position of the mobile device and the user-specific data.

Inventors: Colligan; Edward T.; (San Jose, CA) ; Kansal; Sachin S.; (Sunnyvale, CA) ; Daetz; David D.; (Cupertino, CA) ; Creemer; David Z.; (Palo Alto, CA) ; Vadasz; David; (Los Altos, CA) ; Cousineau; Bernard P.; (Burlingame, CA) ; Duarte; Matias; (Sunnyvale, CA)
    Correspondence Name and Address: FOLEY & LARDNER LLP
    777 EAST WISCONSIN AVENUE
    MILWAUKEE
    WI
    53202-5306
    US

Assignee Name and Adress: Palm, Inc.

Serial No.: 324694
    Series Code: 12
    Filed: November 26, 2008
    From an innovation standpoint, it makes me want to buy shares of PALM, but from a personal privacy and just tired of ad bombardment standpoint it makes me want to avoid everything Palm ever makes.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Like I said earlier, this very site is collecting and keeping data about your usage. Why doesn't that (on principle) bug you?
    I don't pay this site, so for what they provide in information services. I have no problem with them knowing the few things they gather. It does not come close to what your Pre is telling Palm about you. This web site would need a court order to get my exact location via the IP address they obtained, but Palm knows your location, no court order needed.

This web site knows my e-mail address, because that was an openly requested piece of data I agreed to give them. You didn't really "know" Palm was gathering what they gather from you. I have yet to see someone who says they read Palms statements all in full and really knew before Hess announced it, that Palm was getting the data they get from your Pre.

This web site knows the browser I use, although I could mask it (just like I could mask my IP and use a throw away e-mail account), but I know all web sites gather this. Among other things, I build web sites, so it does not bother me. I know everything this site gathers, I gather the same at my own.

Now given I know what this site gathers and my own experience in doing the exact same type of work, I know what Palm gathers from your Pre goes beyond what happens at this web site. And, you paid Palm to do it.
    Spoke with Palm today and was directed by Level 3 support to their Legal Department. Haven't heard back from them yet, but I'll keep y'all posted.

To the apologists: you're worse than the apple fan boys.

Anyone know if a class-action suit has been started yet?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast