Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    you guys are all hilarious...phone companies have benn doing this for years especially sprint...Have you heard any complaints?
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Hey! I just noticed that PreCentral is keeping track of my post counts! Date and time of all of my posts too! And, what's this???...if you click on my user name it's got every post I've ever made here!

If those bastards don't stop this very minute, I'm leaving and never coming back!
    Don't forget your IP address, which figured in with IP tracing will lead Big Brother directly to your doorstep!
    You do realize that (1) these terms and conditions are in Palm's privacy statement, and (2) you agree to that privacy statement when you set up the device, right?
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I keep seeing people freak out about this. As noted above you agreed to it by setting up the phone. Secondly most of the people freaking out are probably the ones who selected "I Agree" on the question to send anonymous usage data to google when setting up the phone, which is the whole reason the phone sends so much data back. Disable the feature in Location Services if you don't want them to get that data.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamboy View Post
    you guys are all hilarious...phone companies have benn doing this for years especially sprint...Have you heard any complaints?
    Having worked with a cell service provider I won't mention by name, where I had direct access to certain data, I can say some data is collected by them. HOWEVER, it is handled under certain FCC mandates, that cell providers are bound to. Palm is not bound by such federal laws.

Yea Palm has a privacy statement, if you trust Palm collecting data they really don't need, well now you know they're doing it.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hnharrison24 View Post
    Don't forget your IP address, which figured in with IP tracing will lead Big Brother directly to your doorstep!
    and how so?
    and how so?
    It was sarcasm. Your IP only leads to your ISP. Your ISP will only give out your info in a case of serious criminal activity, and not without a court order.
    Is it at all possible that you people aren't as important and/or interesting as you think you are?
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    wow thats some sick stuff...i never in my wildest dreams imagined that privacy was interfered with so frequently
    wow thats some sick stuff...i never in my wildest dreams imagined that privacy was interfered with so frequently
    Most people don't. The reality is that all of our PC and phone usage can be traced. In reality, the average user isn't important enough (as mentioned by GMoney749) to bother tracing. If Palm is logging our usage, it's for no other reason than future marketing/trends and product improvement. They aren't interested in what YOU SPECIFICALLY are doing at a specific time, in a specific place.

Don't be paranoid people.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hnharrison24 View Post
    Most people don't. The reality is that all of our PC and phone usage can be traced. In reality, the average user isn't important enough (as mentioned by GMoney749) to bother tracing. If Palm is logging our usage, it's for no other reason than future marketing/trends and product improvement. They aren't interested in what YOU SPECIFICALLY are doing at a specific time, in a specific place.

Don't be paranoid people.
    good point the chances are very slim that palm is actually monitoring each phone individually
    It is great to disagree but this thread seems to be heading in a bad direction.

Please take a moment to review the Forum Guidelines.

In particular, please note this:

Respect others - Be courteous to other forum members regardless of their age/race/sexual preference/etc. Be tolerant of those who disagree with your opinion and discuss differences in a constructive manner. Personal attacks or name calling will not be tolerated.

No name calling. No personal attacks. This is your warning.

- Craig
  13. msb
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superduperpre View Post
    Obviously you didn't the whole story... Not to belabor the point that you are all blatantly missing, but the MUCH greater concern is the manner in which palm is monitoring the apps (including third party... Got mytether?) that you installed and the times and amounts that you use these apps.

If that doesnlt seem unreasonably intrusive, you are just the type of sheeple that encourages even further privacy abuses.

Has everyone forgotten how the telecoms bent over for the bush administration and willingly participated in warrantless and ILLEGAL wiretapping?!? Do you want your app usage and info potentially conveyed to criminally acting government entities.

Sheesh.
    "Illegal" you say? Well, that's certainly debatable and most definitely not worthy of scary ALL CAPS. No judge or jury has ever declared the anti-terrorist program illegal... and just to be sure, the Congress explicitly passed laws to certify that it was legal. It's even satisfied the great "O", whose administration supports the program.

But, that's all beside the point... what exactly are you doing that you're worried about Sprint/Palm knowing?
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    So you folks don't think that Palm will pass on to Sprint if you have the "Tethering" app installed and when and for how long you used it? That could be a real reason for concern in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGeek View Post
    So you folks don't think that Palm will pass on to Sprint if you have the "Tethering" app installed and when and for how long you used it? That could be a real reason for concern in my opinion.
    No. What would Palm gain by doing this? It has a far greater potential to blow up in their faces and they'd lose the trust of ALL their customers for zero profit.
  16. msb
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Yea, maybe. But it is Sprint's network you are using, right? Terms and Conditions, etc, etc... you read all that, right?

Look, I'm all for the cat-and-mouse game between hackers and "the man", but you can't begrudge their attempts to know what's going on on their network.

Be concerned, sure... but about things like tethering being nixed. Not about Palm and Sprint "violating" your privacy, or some such rubbish.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Just look at how Apple removed all Google Voice apps from the App Store. A source revealed that it was done at AT&Ts request. Palm's user agreement was pretty open saying they can essentially give the information to anyone they want.

I am still within my 30 days and up until now was going to stay with the Pre but I am not sure now.
    I don't know that they will or what would motivate them to do so but no, I don't care.
    Palm Pre phone secretly used GPS to report user's location to company
    August 13, 2009 | 2:48 pm

It knows where you are, and it's telling. Credit: Palm Inc.The Palm Pre phone knows where you are, and it's secretly giving out that information. On a daily basis, according to a software developer.

Joey Hess, who lives on the East Coast and works on a Linux-based operating system, noticed something odd about his Palm Pre phone. He was checking over computer logs he created to track the phone's system and he discovered that the Pre was uploading its GPS location to Palm Inc. once a day.

Almost all cellphones have GPS chips, partly so that they can be used for functions like car navigation, and more importantly so they can locate the user in case of emergency.

But Hess was not having an emergency every day. And he was not being notified that his location was being transmitted to the company. Also, Palm was uploading a record of many of the applications, such as messaging, he was using.

Palm didn't deny it was getting the information. In a brief, vague press statement, the company said its privacy policy "includes very detailed language about potential scenarios in which we might use a customer's information, all toward a goal of offering a great user experience."

The company's privacy policy runs to 1,675 words, and it's not clear if GPS monitoring was considered part of "a great user experience."

Possibly that experience includes some sort of advertising or promotional venture.

In any case, Palm also said in the statement, "We appreciate the trust that users give us with their information, and have no intention to violate that trust."

Hess was not so trusting. He found a way to program the phone to stop uploading the info.

-- David Colker
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast