Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I just fired up the Sprint Navigation app and was surprised to see someone else's e-mail address and contact information already loaded up. Anyone else encountering this? I had to go through the new phone setup, so I'm guessing the device wipe doesn't clear out all the data... Any way to tell if I got a returned phone that was resold as new? No big deal, I'm just curious... phone seems great
    The phone was prob a refurbished one.
    A wipe / format does NOT wipe out activation data. When you click on the voicemail icon, do you get taken to your voicemail or their voicemail?
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    ##786# will tell you. There will be a refurb date on there if it is refurb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaki View Post
    Thanks for the info! Do we dial ##786# in the phone dial or in the "universal search" (ie just type)?
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superduperpre View Post
    Thanks for the info! Do we dial ##786# in the phone dial or in the "universal search" (ie just type)?
    the dialer and look for reconddate and recondstatus
    where did you buy it? there have been scattered reports of 3rd parties reselling phones that have been returned for being defective!!!!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaki View Post
    I don't think this is going to answer the real question. If it's a refurb, I think it's save to say that Palm knows enough about what they're doing that the device would be totally wiped.

I suspect it's a return, and the store returned it to stock. If so, it wouldn't show up as a refurb using the code.
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    Are they allowed to sell a returned phone as new?
    Quote Originally Posted by ray1b View Post
    Are they allowed to sell a returned phone as new?
    Corporate stores can't, it is against policy. Third party stores however are an entirely different story since they have their own policies. They are just playing Sprint to be able to sell the products and services to customers. This is also why they tend to have lower prices and more sales on devices, that is how they survive and get business, lower prices.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by halcyoncmdr View Post
    Corporate stores can't, it is against policy. Third party stores however are an entirely different story since they have their own policies. They are just playing Sprint to be able to sell the products and services to customers. This is also why they tend to have lower prices and more sales on devices, that is how they survive and get business, lower prices.
    This was a corporate Sprint store... I had them bring out a bunch of boxes so that I could look through them and find one that didn't have much of the Oreo twist - this one was a solid build and was packaged and sold to me as new.

Recondition status is 'no' and the recondition date is null.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    How about emailing the person and see when and if they had a PRE?
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strudeau View Post
    How about emailing the person and see when and if they had a PRE?
    Good call - email sent
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    D'oh... Invalid e-mail address, no luck
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    did you see them remove the protective film from the box? did you see them cut open the box, did you inquire with the store to see if it was refure?..and again the ##786# doesnt mean it wasnt previously owned that isnt a verifiable way because the stores are wiping the phones and not resetting the phones as refurbs...but I forgot check the ACTDATE if it isnt the same day you were there then it was prev used..mines says 8.7.09 which was the day I originally activated my phone...when I exchanged the 1st time..it had a actdate off 6/26/09..and I got it on 7/30 I beleive..so Im certain you got a used phone
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bipoler View Post
    did you see them remove the protective film from the box? did you see them cut open the box, did you inquire with the store to see if it was refure?..and again the ##786# doesnt mean it wasnt previously owned that isnt a verifiable way because the stores are wiping the phones and not resetting the phones as refurbs...but I forgot check the ACTDATE if it isnt the same day you were there then it was prev used..mines says 8.7.09 which was the day I originally activated my phone...when I exchanged the 1st time..it had a actdate off 6/26/09..and I got it on 7/30 I beleive..so Im certain you got a used phone
    My activation date matches up with the day I purchased it. All of the boxes that the Sprint guy brought out were easy to open by just lifting the tape up - none required cutting. I wish Palm just had better quality control so I didn't have to look through a bunch of boxes to find a decent build.
    I forgot if Telenav attaches an email address to the phone number. Is this a brand new number to you, or are you keeping/porting a phone number?
    Pandora keeps the person's account on there after it get's "wiped out" as well.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    I forgot if Telenav attaches an email address to the phone number. Is this a brand new number to you, or are you keeping/porting a phone number?
    That's a great point - this was a brand new number to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by skibbs View Post
    That's a great point - this was a brand new number to me.
    Yeah so it seems like what happened was that number was from another Sprint customer who had activated Telenav on their phone. So it probably saw your number was like "oh i'll just download that for the customer" and came up with the other person's info.