Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Palm quietly improving Pre build quality, tweaking hardware

It's not the most comprehensive survey, nor is there any official confirmation, but the crew at PreThinking has checked in with a number of new Pre owners and discovered that Palm's apparently building its webOS handset better lately -- and what's more, it's even made some minor improvements. The biggest change appears to be a fix for that nasty bug that caused the Pre to reset or turn off when the keyboard was closed -- that bit of grey foam pictured was added to the battery compartment to tighten up the battery connection. There's a also word that the screen cracking and unintended rotation issues have been addressed, although time will tell on those, and the trackball color has changed from pearl to silver. As for improvements, well, there's a new battery model, and the Palm logo is now embossed on the carrying case. Yep, just little stuff, but it's good to see Palm addressing the build issues on the Pre, which are by far the most common complaint about the device. Let us know if you've spotted anything else, would you?

Source: Palm quietly improving Pre build quality, tweaking hardware

See more pictures from PreThinking Here: http://www.prethinking.com/home/2009...-fixes-re.html
    Last edited by NM08SRT8; 08/12/2009 at 05:55 PM.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Glad they are improving the hardware, although I guess I was lucky to get a good unit on day one. No hardware problems at all so far (knock on wood!)

I sure hope they are hard at work on the software because there is a LOT of room for improvement, especially with calendar and email.
    This is good news, if it's true.
    Last edited by glomgold; 08/12/2009 at 11:41 PM.
    I swear, that in some of the thread, people have build quality dates within the range cited on the article (after 7/1) and still were reporting the oreo effect and slider problems.

Can anyone confirm?
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    how do you see the build date of phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by samrozzi View Post
    how do you see the build date of phone?
    I'm sure there are other ways, but you can type ##786# into the dialer (I think ).

Anyone have experience with both Pre's (pearl button & silver button)? Notice any difference between them?
    Quote Originally Posted by glomgold View Post
    Anyone have experience with both Pre's (pearl button & silver button)? Notice any difference between them?
    I'd love to see a picture of the pearl vs. silver button. Anybody got one?

Edit: I saw the pictures on the preThinking website, but they're not side-by-side, so it's a little difficult to tell whether there really is a difference or not.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    idk if mines the new silver button, i dont have the little foam on mine, but my pouch is embossed. whats the diff on old pouch, anyonehave pics of old case?
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    and also i dont see a manufactured date when I type it in. my reconddate is --/--/-- so its new. I have a activate date but that wont tell much
    Quote Originally Posted by samrozzi View Post
    and also i dont see a manufactured date when I type it in. my reconddate is --/--/-- so its new. I have a activate date but that wont tell much
    Does it not have a build date on the box? Isn't there an information section in the settings?
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    didnt check box. where on box would it be?
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    that bit of grey foam pictured was added to the battery compartment to tighten up the battery connection. There's a also word that the screen cracking and unintended rotation issues have been addressed, although time will tell on those, and the trackball color has changed from pearl to silver. As for improvements, well, there's a new battery model, and the Palm logo is now embossed on the carrying case.
    Slapping on an unmatched piece of foam tape, arbitrarily changing the trackball color, embossing a $2 carrying case and starting unsubstantiated rumors about reduced screen cracks and unintended rotation now qualify as "quietly improving Pre build quality?" That's like saying new fender skirts on your mobile home improves your trailer's build quality.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    I just got a newer Pre yesterday, build date is 7/25/09 and it is fantastic! It is super tight with no oreo effect or wobble at all. The build quality feels much better and everything feels alot stronger. The lock button is a little more pronounced and the keys feel firmer as well. My original pre was good but had a little bit of oreo, not enough to bother you but I was having issue about it not charging.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    ok i feel so stupid, I cannot fund build date anywhere in or on phone, and nowhere on box
    Quote Originally Posted by badchad View Post
    I swear, that in some of the thread, people have build quality dates within the range cited on the article (after 7/1) and still were reporting the oreo effect and slider problems.

Can anyone confirm?
    Yes, I got a new 7/25 warranty date phone from Asurion which had a really bad oreo slider.
    Well, I guess that's great for people who are just now buying one or that are still within the 30 day return period. For people like me on the other hand who got one on launch day and are now having hardware issues, this just feels like salt in the wound.
    Does anyone know how to spot a new unit like has the box changed. I am not leaving the store this time till I know my pre is 100%. I have to say though that so called fix to the battery really looks cheap. I could do that myself.
    So I have a new build pre don't know the build date can't find it but screen wooble is their but minimal I think this is because my son got his grubby hands on my phone. When I picked it up at the store it was tight. But I'm in my 30 day window if it gets worse I'll be getting a replacement
    And its more than just the foam piece they also changed the battery
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast