Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My replacement Pre is scheduled for delivery today, I'll check and compare the Pre and battery compared to my original (Pre and battery) I purchased on June 6th.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I wonder what data Palm collected from your Pre that got you on their call list?? Hmmm. I doubt it was a random selection of registered users.
  3.    #23  
    Wanted to update battery life. It's been over two weeks with the new battery. I would be what you would call a heavy user of the Pre. Emails/Web/Text etc.

Current battery life after 5 hours today = 86%

So far, new battery has been great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    New battery after 5 hours of heavy use = 79%. That's better, but nothing to get too excited about. I am suprised that more people haven't had this happen. Meaning the call from Palm.
    "Nothing to get too excited about"??? Wow, you're a hard guy to please. I'm thrilled if I have 40% after 8 hours.
    If you're using 21% every 5 hours that means you should be able to go a full day without charging at all. That sounds more than acceptable to me.
    I would love to have a battery test application that would subject the battery to a more objective set of tests so we have real data. I am skeptical of people who call themselves heavy users.
    Consider: the rated talk time on the Pre is 5 hours. Since these are generally ideal conditions, no way is anyone ever going to get better than that. Web browsing on the Pre seems to consume about as much battery as talking on the phone (in my experience). So I doubt anyone is using their phone for 5 hours of web browsing and is still left with 79% battery.

PogeyPetey, I'm not trying to pick on you--I'm glad you're getting better battery life! I just have no idea how to compare your experience to mine in any sort of objective manner. And I wish that I did so that I knew whether I had a problem or not.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    sorry, double posted
    Last edited by jbg7474; 08/31/2009 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Double post for some reason
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    New battery after 5 hours of heavy use = 79%. That's better, but nothing to get too excited about. I am suprised that more people haven't had this happen. Meaning the call from Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollbandit View Post
    5 hours of heavy use and only 21 percent drain? id say thats pretty awesome, extrapolated thats 25 hours of heavy use, that sounds amazing to me
    I'm late to the party but yeah... Dunno why you WOULDN'T get excited if heavy usage only drains a little over 4% per hour. Your standards are too high, PP.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    "Nothing to get too excited about"??? Wow, you're a hard guy to please. I'm thrilled if I have 40% after 8 hours.
    If you're using 21% every 5 hours that means you should be able to go a full day without charging at all. That sounds more than acceptable to me.
    I tend to get between 8-12 hours use on my phone as well with stock battery. In fact.. I was having a hard time killing it so that I could re-charge it again. I had to let it play music for like 3 hours, have about 6 applications open along with a web site, etc. bluetooth on. In standby it hardly drains at all. Maybe 10 percent overnight. I got the Canadian one from Bell last week. let me tell you, that battery is in there tight. Thought I was gonna break the phone getting it out. I do have a 1400mah Mugen one coming.. they emailed me that they will ship it tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted on how that compares to the stock one. So far though i'm happy with the stock battery.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I would love to have a battery test application that would subject the battery to a more objective set of tests so we have real data. I am skeptical of people who call themselves heavy users.
    Consider: the rated talk time on the Pre is 5 hours. Since these are generally ideal conditions, no way is anyone ever going to get better than that. Web browsing on the Pre seems to consume about as much battery as talking on the phone (in my experience). So I doubt anyone is using their phone for 5 hours of web browsing and is still left with 79% battery.

PogeyPetey, I'm not trying to pick on you--I'm glad you're getting better battery life! I just have no idea how to compare your experience to mine in any sort of objective manner. And I wish that I did so that I knew whether I had a problem or not.
    You are absolutely correct. I have posted something to this effect as well. Since there are no actual tests that have been created, most of this stuff is circumstantial at best. However, the more evidence you have, the better chance you have of coming to a conclusion. We shall see if this holds true for more users than just me.
  10.    #30  
    At first, I wasn't too excited because it was only one day. Would have felt stupid getting excited about battery life only to have it crap out after a week or so. That has not been the case, thankfully.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    I tend to get between 8-12 hours use on my phone as well with stock battery. In fact.. I was having a hard time killing it so that I could re-charge it again. I had to let it play music for like 3 hours, have about 6 applications open along with a web site, etc. bluetooth on. In standby it hardly drains at all. Maybe 10 percent overnight. I got the Canadian one from Bell last week. let me tell you, that battery is in there tight. Thought I was gonna break the phone getting it out. I do have a 1400mah Mugen one coming.. they emailed me that they will ship it tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted on how that compares to the stock one. So far though i'm happy with the stock battery.
    8-12 hours of doing what, though?

Mine lost 2% per hour while idle, this weekend, which pleases me. But it's the Pandora, email, and voice usage that worries me sometimes. I stream like mad (and listen via Bluetooth, at that).
  12.    #32  
    I would say on average that I end the day with 45% or better battery life. Off the charger at 6:30, and then back on again at 10:30 or so. One exception was when I used Orb for a couple hours while waiting for my computer to run a couple tests. That day I ended with 19%.
  13.    #33  
    As further proof, last week I left the phone off the charger over night and when I woke up it still had 40 percent left.
    At first, I wasn't too excited because it was only one day. Would have felt stupid getting excited about battery life only to have it crap out after a week or so. That has not been the case, thankfully.
    Awesome. Congrats!
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I've yet to experience any battery issues with my Pre. To be fair, I'm not a heavy user at all: I make 5-6 calls a day (5-10 mins a call), send/recieve 15-20 texts throughout the day, maybe 1.5 hours total of intermittent internet useage, little email usage (Gmail and one personal acct, both set to get email every 15 minutes) etc... I pulled my phone off the charger at 7:00am this morning, it's now 2:43pm here, so not quite 8 hours of usage. My battery is at 91%.

I'm sure it would be much less if I was doing more with the phone, but there have been days where I've been using the phone quite a bit. I've had the phone for 3 weeks now and only once have I checked the phone when the battery was below 50%. I'm happy with my battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Then add to that the fact that being in a poor cell reception area cause the Pre to "look" for a better signal more, and that compounds the issue even more.
    Then add to that the fact that being in a poor cell reception area cause the Pre to "look" for a better signal more, and that compounds the issue even more.
    Yep, good point.
  18.    #38  
    So I did a little research. Average use for the past 2 weeks:

Emails (sent and received per day): 38.

Text (Per Day) - 52

Web (total usage for two weeks.) - 1.12 GB
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12