Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Hi all,

I wish I knew how to access the gps coordinates of my palm pre info remotely in real time ...
    In a post at slashdot, a user mentions that palm secretly has been recording and uploading your phones coordinates... (Slashdot Your Rights Online Story | Palm Pre Reports Your Location and Usage To Palm)

I had my palm pre, credit card, ID, and keys stolen this weekend, and since have been attempting to track the thief in the hopes of either A) Getting my property back or B) Busting this punk

So last Sunday, I began the process of canceling credit cards, changing locks, and checking my Sprint Pre account.

(Some other things I did right away, was change my yahoo email password since my Pre is set to auto fetch my emails, and set my VM to require a password every time its checked by calling my own phone number and accessing settings through the automation thing.)

When I logged into sprint.com, I first checked my phone usage, and was able to identify a window when the theft took place based on the last call I made and the first call the thief made.

This was between 2:45 am and 5:45 am 8/9/09.
    From that time the thief made several calls throughout the early morning and afternoon.

From the usage page on sprint.com, I navigated to the Online Tools page, where I found a few interesting links regarding Mobile Location Services, Family Location Services, and GPS Privacy.

I went ahead and called the sprint rep, who didn't know anything about these mobile phone locating services.

He eventually found the option to add the Family Location Service to my account. But before adding anything to my account, the rep had a great idea of first suspending my text messaging to my phone as to not tip off the thief via text notification that a tracking service has been added to the phone.
    At this point, I was thinking I might actually locate my stolen phone back!!!

After suspending the texts, we went through with the Family Location link where I had to first accept some sort of mobile privacy thing online.

I was also able to indicate that I wanted to send emails to my inbox upon locating the phone, which I did. There are some other settings like how often the phone is auto-texted regarding the service, so I set that to the least often.

Once I was directed to the location page (Welcome to Sprint Family Locator : Sign In) I was taken to a preview of the greater Denver area and a button to the right "LOCATE"

When the locate button is pressed, it uses triangulation to hone in on the phones location but it will only work when the phone is physically turned on.
    It doesn't have to be making a call, but service must be active and phone on to triangulate its position.

After like 30 minutes of trying to locate this guy, to my surprise, the map panned over to a new area of Colorado and displayed an icon with a large blue area circle around the icon of the estimated zone where the phone could be. It actually said "within 700 yards" .... not quite pin point accuracy.

SCREENSHOT OF STOLEN PALM PRE LOCATED VIA TRIANGULATION NOT GPS

It did also offer an address, but again, this is a complete estimation, and presumably could not be used as fact.

This guy has been using my phone for roughly three days now on and off, and I am constantly tracking him. I save the locations to "My Places" in the Family Locator website, and I am getting all this info together, along with all the phone numbers this guy has been calling and receiving to provide to the cops for the report or some Old Country Italian BOys!!

BUT, I'm trying to find anyway I can either somehow use palms GPS coordinates, or any advanced tracking mechanism to really have a case.
    However, I'm sure I had my GPS location service turned off in the phones settings because I always turned that draining miserable feature off.

I heard about backing up my phone data online at sprint... I suppose I need to do that as my next step....
    Also, I may as well go ahead and remotely wipe all the data as well at this point...

Any recommendations in regard to anything from above??

Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    I thought once a phone was lost or stolen and sprint is notified the ESN is then bad and the phone is no longer in use? unless you didnt have them do this and your allowing him access to your phone?
    Why not just report the phone as stolen and get a replacement? I'm not sure I'd like a phone back that has been mishandled by some low life theif.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I am actually allowing him to use my phone as of now, in hopes that by allowing him to use my phone, (which I have a massive amount of minutes, and I'm monitoring the usage as to avoid any crazy international calls or anything) that I may actually recover the phone or catch him..

Banning the ESN should be the next step via Sprint customer service, if I determine that there is no chance of catching the kid or getting my property back, but I would love to come out of this with at least a suspect ya know....
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    If I did catch him, I could potentially get all of my property back, besides my phone

Car and Home keys, ID, nice customized business card holder, iPod, garage door opener.....

But its just principle more than anything.
    At this point, I don't count on getting anything back, but to see this through to a conviction of theft would just make my year.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    My guess is that if the GPS is off then the information that is uploaded to Palm everyday is just as generalized as what you have there on Sprint.

I'm wondering if you can do a reverse lookup on any of the numbers he is calling and if one of them is a business, see if they will give you a name of the person calling them. Of course you'd have to call the business almost immediately after he did to see. Like for instance if he orders a pizza and leaves his name and address...etc.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Just go to the place, pull out another cell phone and call the number. If you hear your Power Rangers ringtone go off, you'll know you've got your man. If he answers and you don't see him, just act like a telemarketer to keep him on the phone for a min while you look around. Matter fact, if you call from a business that has an 800 # or just an out of town area code, you can try to fool him into giving you his info for some prize or something. Just be careful. Good luck. Stay safe.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    Just go to the place, pull out another cell phone and call the number. If you hear your Power Rangers ringtone go off, you'll know you've got your man. If he answers and you don't see him, just act like a telemarketer to keep him on the phone for a min while you look around. Matter fact, if you call from a business that has an 800 # or just an out of town area code, you can try to fool him into giving you his info for some prize or something. Just be careful. Good luck. Stay safe.
    Along those same lines, call and say you are with "such-n-such radio station", and tell him if he answers "some stupid question" correctly he wins a gift certificate to Best Buy. Then ask for the address of where to send the gift certificate and see if it matches the area the area you are getting on your GPS. If so, you've got your man.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by precntrl View Post
    If I did catch him, I could potentially get all of my property back, besides my phone

Car and Home keys, ID, nice customized business card holder, iPod, garage door opener.....

But its just principle more than anything.
    At this point, I don't count on getting anything back, but to see this through to a conviction of theft would just make my year.

I see now and I feel where your comming from, I had dropped my phone my old phone at a party and tried looking for it and it was a nextel and I keep trying to call and find it...WHY not even 5min after realizing it was lost they put there sim card in it and my phone went straight to voicemail...SAD I know people are not honest these days and if I ever found out who stole my phone id well..nuff said
    But I feel for ya hope it works out..but for the life of me I cant understand why they would use the phone KNOWING calls are kept via log and it isnt there phone # like there not to bright if you ask me lol
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    See I thought of doing some crazy stuff like this.

Tricking him into giving something up, and although he's obviously retarded, I don't think anyone is going to be THAT dumb.

But then again, I thought about maybe doing something like this:

Posting a bunch of large signs in his neighborhood saying like:

WE GIVE TOP CASH FOR YOUR PALM PRES, IPHONES, AND G1S!!

And then possibly try to trick the retard into selling me my own phone.
    Have a cop on board or something, and then just royally screw the *******

hahahah, that plan makes me laugh...

Also, I have done plenty of reverse lookups on these numbers. Most of those services actually get you to pay before seeing anything, then when you do pay, if its a cellular number and not a landline, voila, no info available....
    But this one, called People Search | Background Check | Reverse Cell Phone Lookup - Intelius.com does have potential.....

My guess is that all these numbers are his loser drug dealing buddies or something, so most of them would be cellies from what I've seen.

Does anyone here work for any of the major cell carriers and could *wink*wink* get some names and addresses if I provided some numbers??
    I'm assuming you haven't gotten root access to your Pre. For your future device, and as advice to others, I'd recommend doing so. Then you could remotely access the Pre and do whatever you wanted.

Main Page - WebOS Internals has information on how to get root access, and how to use the GPS to "report location" to you if this happens in the future.

FWIW, my Pre sends me an email every 20 minutes, telling me where it's at.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I hope you get the slime ball! Keep us posted.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Main Page - WebOS Internals has information on how to get root access, and how to use the GPS to "report location" to you if this happens in the future.
    FTW - awesome, I'll certainly be doing this for my replacement...
    Was that process pretty difficult?
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    To do a phone number reverse lookup you can just use Yellow Pages Local Directory - YELLOWPAGES.COM and there is the phone number option. Might take awhile to find one that's a business, but it's an option that's free and works.
    Hey, this is what I would do for fun. Call a local radio station and tell them your story. Indicate that you would like to call and leave a message for him on your phone talking about tickets to the next big concert in town and that all he has to do is come down or send a friend to pick up the tickets. The person leaving the messages could add a bit like "we have tried reaching you several times and if we do not hear back from you by X date we will award the tickets to another caller". That line might get him thinking that he has your only means of getting that information. If the radio station is game this guy could actually call back and try and get these tickets. Even work out as a good bit for the radio station that wants to punk some person. People will do stupid things if you can get them to believe that they can get away with it. Like using your phone while your paying the bill and not thinking that something is fishy about that.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Did he take your charger too ? Or do you have a monster sized battery on that thing. I feel your pain, same thing has happened to me. If you go talk to the police face to face they'll probally jump all over this, cool way to make a bust.
    I'm pretty sure you can log on to your Palm profile (if you set it up online) and there is a setting to basically brick your phone in case of theft. If you go to https ://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/console/pages/LoginPage.iface?rvn=1 you can choose to erase your device remotely. I'm not sure if it actually bricks your phone or restores it to OEM status in which case your GPS would be turned back on. Might want to give Palm a call to see...
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm assuming you haven't gotten root access to your Pre. For your future device, and as advice to others, I'd recommend doing so. Then you could remotely access the Pre and do whatever you wanted.

I cant find anything about the "report location" on the site... link?
    Just hope that this guy is not a techie and is unaware of precentral, webos internals, etc.

He might be reading this post and knowing your every move/intention.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rbrayton View Post
    Hey, this is what I would do for fun. Call a local radio station and tell them your story. Indicate that you would like to call and leave a message for him on your phone talking about tickets to the next big concert in town and that all he has to do is come down or send a friend to pick up the tickets. The person leaving the messages could add a bit like "we have tried reaching you several times and if we do not hear back from you by X date we will award the tickets to another caller". That line might get him thinking that he has your only means of getting that information. If the radio station is game this guy could actually call back and try and get these tickets. Even work out as a good bit for the radio station that wants to punk some person. People will do stupid things if you can get them to believe that they can get away with it. Like using your phone while your paying the bill and not thinking that something is fishy about that.

Really not a bad idea, there is a perfect radio station where they would eat this thing up too. 103.5 The Fox...

Well If I decide to go this route, I'll certainly keep everyone posted here.

In regard to the battery... This guy must have went and bought a charger or had one lying around, because we all know that the pre battery, under no circumstances would be lasting for 3, 4, 5 days at a time..
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast