678. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

133 19.62%
  • NO

452 66.67%
  • Though Decision Not Sure.

93 13.72%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I couldn't handle the virtual keyboard. That alone is a deal killer, so all of the other things I like are moot.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I could never switch to a phone that doesn't have multi-tasking like the Pre and a hardware keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    the iPhone is a platform with hundreds of thousands of apps on it so how restrictive are they really? While the common defense for the Pre is their openness, they probably won't hit iPhones numbers for a while.

Obviously the argument is for the future of these platforms but considering that Palms adversaries in app oriented phone OS's are Microsoft, Apple and Google then there's no guarantee the best 'open platform' will deliver the goods. There's a reason so many choose OS X and Windows over Linux.
    Hundreds of thousands?? Are you sure of that number?

It's not the lack of quantity of applications that cause people to complain about the iPhone's closed system, it's the applications themselves. The closed system means that Apple can (and does) dictate what the phone can do. The lack of a Google Voice app is a prime example.
    I have 2 mac g5's running osX and a netbook soon to have osX installed. My sister loves her iphone and i've played with them quite abit. Apple lover? Oh no, I just don't do "window's" anymore (no flames pls). That being said, Pre is Prelisous!!! So much to learn,so much to do,so little time. When I'm gone send my Pre with me, still got code to write :-)
    There are now approx 30,000 programs available on the App Store. not "Hundreds of thousands". i'm sure thier may be much more than just the appl store. but i do not think for 1 moment that there are Hundreds of thousands.
    Last edited by palmbeach; 08/13/2009 at 01:45 AM.
    I like the larger screen on the iPhone but as long as I waited on the Pre to come out I am keeping it.
    Pre. Notifications and multitasking is the key features for me.
    There's no denying that the iPhone is a great device, and I'd be lying if I said that I didn't want one for the longest time. But part of that was due to the fact that all of Sprint's phone's just plain sucked. Even the higher-end ones left a LOT to be desired.

Then the Pre came out with its wonderful multitasking abilities, physical keyboard, and overall awesome design. Haven't looked back since.
    Neither, I would go back to my curve and wait until Palm released more apps, more updates, or started making their phones more solid
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

RIP

A better question for this forum is how many people would get a Pre on AT&T vs a Pre on Sprint...

I would.
    There's not many apps i'm missing right now. Sure, i'd like a FEW more like Kindle, bejeweled and maybe a facebook, ebay, type apps, but these seem easy to provide and likely will happen. I'm not sure why Palm can't open the gate somewhat and let a few in..even in beta. And throwing out Apple has 30k apps is meaniless to me. I only have about 10-15 apps tops at any given time.

In other words, i still got the same apps pretty much on my iphone as i did months ago. Kindle, facebook, bejeweled, etc. The 3d games do nothing for me. The kids games are nice for the 3yr old but do nothing for me.

But no, the main issue is the native apps and features. These are what get used most of the time. And in this department, the iphone outshines the Pre in most areas but loses in some as well.

Mikah described the phone app already and i pretty much agree. It's pathetic on the Pre.

But the Pre's other strengths at this point for me. Synergy, MMS, push gmail, sharp screen, size, apps being able to work with one another, Pre acts better hooked up to BT stereo in car, touchstone, u-search, notifications.

Iphone's is bigger screen (though the text isn't as sharp), more robust native apps, copy n paste, ability to easily put (or purchase) media on it especially video, larger storage, video/audio recording, no lag, gets auto routed to iphone versions of websites, etc.

I left out multitasking because frankly, other than Pandora streaming, its not that big of a deal. The Pre seems to do a lot of it in saved states, not active. So does iphone.

On the iphone, I can punch in a website, leave it, go to email, send one, leave it, go to safari and the website is loaded. I then can leave safari, go message someone, go to email and start one and come back to safari and the webpage is still there, copy n paste, go back to email and finish the email. It's still there, but just not sitting in a card. The iphone is missing a launcher with most recent apps to make switching easier.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I really love my Pre, but I would drop it in a second for an iPhone. I LOVE the apps available, and am bitterly disappointed that Palm is taking SO FREAKIN' LONG to get more available. Also, the fact that I've had so many problems (if you read about it on here, I've had it happen) has seriously detracted from my satisfaction level.

All that being said, I do believe that it will get better and I look forward to what the Pre can become. And it doesn't really matter how I feel about the iPhone - AT&T has no plans to ever bring service to where I live. If you look at the AT&T coverage graphic, there is very large areas of the country where there is no service coverage. The fact that they are making enough money to not care about the rest of us is a real turn-off for me.
    I know it is hard for some of the new people around here to believe but there are many of us former Treo users around here who have absolutely no interest in the iphone at all.

Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I had a 3G (bought when they first were released) and had upgraded to a 3GS. Apple/AT&T pulled their stunt of removing the Google Voice apps from the App Store so I took the 3GS back and canceled my AT&T contract.

I answered "no" to the poll. Would have done the same thing if it were Sprint, but it wasn't, so they can have my business.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan.lynch View Post
    I had a 3G (bought when they first were released) and had upgraded to a 3GS. Apple/AT&T pulled their stunt of removing the Google Voice apps from the App Store so I took the 3GS back and canceled my AT&T contract.

I answered "no" to the poll. Would have done the same thing if it were Sprint, but it wasn't, so they can have my business.
    What happens when Palm exhibits similar behavior? I've seen nothing to suggest they will do otherwise. Tethering and gvoice apps are all homebrew.

Likewise, i'm sure you can jailbreak an iphone for tethering. Google is vowing to do a webapp optimized for the iphone.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Believe it or not, I really like Sprint. So although I had iPhone envy, wasn't about to switch networks. Was really excited when I heard the Pre was coming (I had a Palm Z31 and before that a Handspring Visor, now I use Classic on the Pre for the old apps I need) - I love their products. I waited until mid-July to go ahead and buy it, and I've had no troubles (granted, I'm a "casual" user). Love my Pre!
    Definite NO....I never knock an Iphone, it has revolutionized what PDA's have become. If Apple had failed with the Iphone years ago, we wouldnt have some of the higher quality phones we have now ie: the PRE.

But, there isnt a thing on the Iphone that it did, that my old Touch couldnt do for me, and now im patiently waiting for the PRE to incorporate some of these things.

Bottom line: To each their own. Iphone is at the Top right now, but it does have to look behind at what the other phones are doing now.

Besides....its kinda awesome to hear someone ask if that is the PRE in my hand
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    What happens when Palm exhibits similar behavior? I've seen nothing to suggest they will do otherwise. Tethering and gvoice apps are all homebrew.

Likewise, i'm sure you can jailbreak an iphone for tethering. Google is vowing to do a webapp optimized for the iphone.
    Here's something that "suggests" differently, Palm has actually worked with the folks doing the WebOS-Internals web site.

Jailbreaking an iPhone, and "rooting" a Pre are totally different animals. Palm provided the tools (and instructions) on how to get root access. Totally different scenario.

I believe the more applicable conclustion to draw would be that we've seen nothing from Palm to indicate that they are going to exhibit similar behavior.
    pre all the way. all i miss from the iphone are the apps. for that, all I need is an ipod touch.

phone wise, i would stick with my pre.
    Pre..simply because the pre can do just about everything the iphone can do...but with the pre you can do it all at the same time..thats whats key for me....I wish we had some more apps tho i must say.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast