Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    But yet they don't see anything wrong with hacking itunes.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/12/p...e-for-android/
    Last edited by Adjei; 08/12/2009 at 01:03 PM.
    They didn't hack iTunes...
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    They didn't hack iTunes...
    Yeah I guess that's why itunes recognizes the Pre as a device made by Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    Yeah I guess that's why itunes recognizes the Pre as a device made by Apple.
    lol, you might want to read the technical details of how Palm does it before you start saying ridiculous things like that.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KallDrexx View Post
    lol, you might want to read the technical details of how Palm does it before you start saying ridiculous things like that.
    Is the Pre made by Apple?

Why is itunes recognizing a device made by Palm as being made by Apple?

If this isn't a hack, then I have a bridge in India to sell you.
    i have a dream aka g1 with the pre theme on there. well did, because im running hero on it now (pre file still saved on my pc). it was a great port that the themer did over on xda. but after having that theme i couldnt stand not having a real pre of my own and having the functions like cards etc. so i went out, got a new service with sprint and bought a pre for a $100 this past weekend at radioshack when they had that sale goin. but if you havent seen the work the themer did, it was a awesome job.
    What's the point of this thread what a waste
    Perhaps we consider it more of a "work around" than a hack.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Can anyone explain to me what this thread is about? Is Palm interested in making a theme based on Android? Are they trying to date the Android theme? Are they hunting it for sport?

Worst thread of the day award.
    By hacking you infer that palm some how manipulated iTunes code. Palm has done no such thing. Therefore your premise is incorrect. Do not make such claims that are factually wrong...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    It isn't a hack. It is just pretending to show as an Apple device because Apple sucks.

The Android Pre theme is actually stealing something created by Palm. Obviously I do not care about this, but Palm is in the right here. Now Palm has a lot riding on this, so it makes sense for them to aggressive defend their phone.
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkims View Post
    It isn't a hack. It is just pretending to show as an Apple device because Apple sucks.

The Android Pre theme is actually stealing something created by Palm. Obviously I do not care about this, but Palm is in the right here. Now Palm has a lot riding on this, so it makes sense for them to aggressive defend their phone.
    Yeah and itunes isn't Apple's, it's actually open source software.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    By hacking you infer that palm some how manipulated iTunes code. Palm has done no such thing. Therefore your premise is incorrect. Do not make such claims that are factually wrong...
    Dude go look up the definition of hacking, why the heck is itunes recognizing the Pre as being made by Apple but if i plug in my blackberry bold, itunes doesn't recognize it. Yeah it sure aint' no hack.
    What they are trying to say is your first post you said "hacking itunes". Palm did no such thing. They implemented a line of code so when connected to itunes, it is recognized as a apple ipod. That is in no way hacking itunes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    Dude go look up the definition of hacking, why the heck is itunes recognizing the Pre as being made by Apple but if i plug in my blackberry bold, itunes doesn't recognize it. Yeah it sure aint' no hack.
    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

I did look up the definition.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scizzy View Post
    What they are trying to say is your first post you said "hacking itunes". Palm did no such thing. They implemented a line of code so when connected to itunes, it is recognized as a apple ipod. That is in no way hacking itunes.
    Actually what they did is a hack:

Hack (technology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And last time I checked the Pre wasn't an ipod or being manufactured by Apple. Itunes was also the intellectual property of Apple and not Palm just like the theme the Android developers are using is not theirs but Palms. But I guess when someone is using your intellectual property in a way you don't want, it's alright for you to go after them but when the shoe is on the other foot you cry foul and go running to the USB group to file complaints.
    Also, I'm pretty sure they are plenty of bridges in India. Also sure, you have no right to sell any of them.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan.lynch View Post
    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

I did look up the definition.
    Hack:

"or to what may be perceived to be a clumsy or inelegant (but usually relatively quick) solution to a problem."

Hack (technology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"To alter (a computer program):"

"To gain access to (a computer file or network) illegally or without authorization:"

hack - definition of hack by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
    I think the word you are looking for is "spoofed".

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoofing_attack
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    Correct - it's not a hack. It's Jonesing for a capability Palm was unable to produce on their own so they resorted to leeching off an already successful program by disguising their device as something it's not. What Palm did is so much more honorable than hacking. That's why they're extending their high ethical standards onto the Android Dev Team to teach them a lesson about borrowing something without permission.

Arrogant and lazy. Palm is winning more friends by the minute!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast