Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I apologize in advance if this topic has been previously covered, but I did search the forums to no avail. That said...

Like others in this forum, I connect my Pre directly to my car stereo with the use of a double male 1/4 cable. I do this to both listen to Pandora or the music player through my stereo and to make and receive calls.

Yesterday, after I removed my Pre from the jack in the car, my Pre became "stuck" in headset mode and noone could hear me nor could I hear them during incoming or outgoing calls. It wasn't until I re-plugged in a set of headphones into my Pre and unplugged it that my Pre "exited" headset mode.

Does anyone have an explanation for why this happened? Or, better yet, how such an occurence can be prevented.

Thanks in advance for any useful responses.
    Haven't heard of that happening on the Pre, but it used to happen on my Treo 680 every once in a while. Read about it here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...dset-mode.html
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

dat happend 2 my 650
    Happened to me last weekend, pulled the battery, that fixed it.
    Happened to me (first time ever) last week and had to plug in/out my headphones a few times to correct the issue.
    Its not preventable just a problem with all pre's. Known fixes are blowing into the headphone jack ( like a nintendo cartridge lol). Also you can put the headphones in an out till you fix it. The best way to test this is to call voicemail. I believe this is due to dust getting stuck in the jack.
    Same problem here. No solution. Inserting and removing the jack didn't help in my case. Only thing that helps is if I ignore it and come back later it seems to fix itself.

Quote Originally Posted by templeghg22 View Post
    I believe this is due to dust getting stuck in the jack.
    Are you sure the detection is mechanical? I thought it was electrical (low voltage or something).
    Have you guys tried the fix in this thread?
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

Try this:

orange key + sym key + "r" key

That's what the Sprint tech did to fix mine.
    Hello fellow pre users. My palm pre was stuck in headphone mode yesterday, it must have been from me plugging it in to my laptop stand speakers (first time). Well I tried everything from partial reset, plug and unplugging headphone jack, re-setting phone, and removing batteries.
    So after work I took it to sprint, told them my problem and they asked me to come back in a few hrs. I guess they couldn't fix it, bc I'm getting a new palme pre in a few days. This was the first problem I had so far, hopefullly nomore. And I'm hoping that we get enough apps so that we can kick iphones over-rated ***! GO PALM PRE!!!!
    Same here, getting it replaced, FYI:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1850879
    the palm pre headphones wouldn't register as being out when I removed them but plugged in an ipod headset removed it and now its working again. Oh well,but still a pain.
    I believe the most common reason for this problem is dirt, dust, and whatnot shorting out the detection as explained in this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1817785.

The most reliable fix seems to be to strip off most of the cotton from a qtip, dip it in rubbing alcohol, and clean out the jack. This fixed my problem, and I haven't had trouble since. I found the qtip to be remarkably dirty, even though I keep my Pre in a case on my belt.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    A simple orange+sym+r fixed the problem for me...
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    you can also go into device info, and go into "interactive tests" under the preferences and go into the audio section... which will reset it... however, if it's not just a glitch, this will only fix it until the next time you plug in your headset...

starting to think I should just convert to bluetooth...
    I'm going to take a guess and say that dirt is probably at least one cause. My Pre has had this problem since around August and It has been getting worse. I'll try some of the cleaning methods and see if it solves it.

Normally, I just insert and remove the headset a couple of times and it fixes it.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RockoRobotics View Post
    I'm going to take a guess and say that dirt is probably at least one cause. My Pre has had this problem since around August and It has been getting worse. I'll try some of the cleaning methods and see if it solves it.

Normally, I just insert and remove the headset a couple of times and it fixes it.
    It is either dirt (causing a short) or a loose connection. I'm not sure which. Sticking a jack in and out of it could either clean off whatever is causing it to short, or it could be pushing whatever is loose in there back in place.

Same thing with a cuetip. Same thing with blowing in it hard.

Whatever it is, I'm getting extremely frustrated with it and will probably be returning it for a replacement if it won't quit freaking out on me.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Talking with a fiend at a BBMobile Store, he said he had seen this several times. Problem seems to be un-plugging headphones before ending what ever program you were using. Says that if you plug the headphones in, go back to the program and start and stop the music, IE: Pandora then un-plug the headphones it works.... Have not had that happem to me but hope this helps someone..... Doc
    Sadlly switched from Pre- to Sprint Nexus S 4G - An 32Gb Touchpad
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I had this same issue with my 700p. After replacing my phone several times, a tech at the repair center spoke to his supervisor and she told him to wipe the male headphone plug with rubbing alcohol. It fixed my issue.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I've had it happen a few times and of course I don't notice until I am trying to answer a call

Anyways, doing this always works for me:
    1. Start Pandora (or Music app should work too)
    2. Plug in headphones
    3. Start playing music
    4. Unplug headphones

If the music stops playing, the phone will not be stuck in headset mode. If the music keeps playing, repeat steps 2 and 4 until the music stops playing. You can then exit the music app and the phone won't be stuck in headset mode.

To prevent the issue from occuring, I never pause music via the pause button and always just pull out the headphones with the music still playing. That way I always know if my phone will be in headset mode so I can fix it before I need to make or receive a call
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast