Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    same problem on the pre plus first time using the palm headphones. orange (well, white on verizon) + SYM + R did the trick! thank you precentral community, you have been amazingly helpful again!!!
    HEADPHONE JACK FIX!!!

have had no sound for a month due to headphone jack getting worse and worse but i rippd off most of the cotton on a q-tip and dipped it in vodka(with battery out)stuck it in jack (real dirty) did several times with dry one untill clean then it worked for the first time in atleast 2 months!!! yes! thanx everyone
    After trying everything software related, speaking to the Palm tech support (waste of time) and attempting every kind of reset/diagnostic test possible, I went in to the Verizon store and they're sending me a new Pre. Easy as that.
    Anyway, now that I'm getting a new phone, & being the curious monkey that I am, I decided to attempt more aggressive methods in the event that it's hardware-related (problem with the jack). After inserting/twisting and removing a headphone jack with no avail, I decided to try what I'd consider the more drastic measure - going into the jack with rubbing alcohol in attempt to clean the contacts/free up pins.
    It worked. Absolutely a problem with the jack itself and not Pandora, connect/disconnect sequence.
    jbg7474 says to "...strip off most of the cotton.." from a Q-Tip. I suggest first dipping a headphone jack in rubbing alcohol. This way you don't risk getting cotton remnants in the jack. If that doesn't work, I suggest stripping off all of the cotton from a Q-Tip. If some cotton remains on the Q-Tip, it's likely to come off the stick & end up in the jack. Take off all cotton and soak the stick in rubbing alcohol for 30 seconds or so.
    Stick it in the hole and twist it around a bit. The Q-Tip in the headphone jack, I mean
    After the second attempt, my phone woke up indicating that it was sensing some change in the previously stuck headphone jack.
    All's well with my Pre...just in time to get a replacement in the mail.
    At least I now know one of the fixes to a stuck jack issue (hardware).
    I tried most of the fixes that I found on here. Compressed air, in and out with headset jack, pulling battery, tried toggling pretty much everything to no avail. I am at work and did not have a q-tip or any alcohol. I found the cheapest headphones I had and plugged them in back out. THat worked!
    I fear that this issue may be gettting worse because in the past all I had to do was to make a call with the headphones and complete the call before removing them. I guess only time will tell...
    you can't unplug any head set jack while the phone is in sleep mode black screen....Turn on music then unplug...
    Quote Originally Posted by erik and his pre View Post
    I tried most of the fixes that I found on here. Compressed air, in and out with headset jack, pulling battery, tried toggling pretty much everything to no avail. I am at work and did not have a q-tip or any alcohol. I found the cheapest headphones I had and plugged them in back out. THat worked!
    I fear that this issue may be gettting worse because in the past all I had to do was to make a call with the headphones and complete the call before removing them. I guess only time will tell...
    I'm sure I'll get torched for this, but I'm still not entirely convinced it's a hardware issue. I used to have the problem ALL of the time. It was a daily thing on my 6/09 launch Pre. I really almost gave up. I tried everything, qTips, compressed air, resets, etc. Every once in a while, one of those fixes would work, but it wouldn't solve the problem.

Now, this is anecdotal, but you know what did solve the problem. I stopped using Pandora. I have maybe fired up Pandora 5 or 6 times since Slacker & some of the other feeds were made available (& that's been many, many months). I have not had the headset problem since.

What I don't know, is if a doctoring fixed the issue. Sometime around that same period, I did doctor the Pre. Either way, my 'stuck in headphone' mode problem has never surfaced again...ever. Both circumstances I just listed are software related. So, it's not scientific, but IMO...it's a software bug & my hunch is that it's Pandora. I'm not going to deny someone their evidence of a hardware issue, it could be, but it only ever happened when I was actually using the Pandora app......just saying.

If all else fails, I don't know if you use Pandora, but if you do stop using Pandora for a couple of weeks, use a different service. If the problem doesn't go away, maybe try doctoring & re-loading your Palm profile. Then, you can at least settle for yourself whether it is a software or hardware issue. Gets you to a starting point. Cheers!
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    I'm sure I'll get torched for this, but I'm still not entirely convinced it's a hardware issue. I used to have the problem ALL of the time. It was a daily thing on my 6/09 launch Pre. I really almost gave up. I tried everything, qTips, compressed air, resets, etc. Every once in a while, one of those fixes would work, but it wouldn't solve the problem.

Now, this is anecdotal, but you know what did solve the problem. I stopped using Pandora. I have maybe fired up Pandora 5 or 6 times since Slacker & some of the other feeds were made available (& that's been many, many months). I have not had the headset problem since.

What I don't know, is if a doctoring fixed the issue. Sometime around that same period, I did doctor the Pre. Either way, my 'stuck in headphone' mode problem has never surfaced again...ever. Both circumstances I just listed are software related. So, it's not scientific, but IMO...it's a software bug & my hunch is that it's Pandora. I'm not going to deny someone their evidence of a hardware issue, it could be, but it only ever happened when I was actually using the Pandora app......just saying.

If all else fails, I don't know if you use Pandora, but if you do stop using Pandora for a couple of weeks, use a different service. If the problem doesn't go away, maybe try doctoring & re-loading your Palm profile. Then, you can at least settle for yourself whether it is a software or hardware issue. Gets you to a starting point. Cheers!
    I have the problem about once a week, but I have never had it while using Pandora. I mainly use Pandora with MyClock in the morning as my clock radio. I almost always have the problem with the built in MP3 player. In my case, compressed air and a interdental brush have cleared the problem every time (OK, I often have to work the brush and the air a few times to clear the problem, and one time I had to take it to Sprint, where they used air and brush to clear it.). At least in my case, it's hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    I have the problem about once a week, but I have never had it while using Pandora. I mainly use Pandora with MyClock in the morning as my clock radio. I almost always have the problem with the built in MP3 player. In my case, compressed air and a interdental brush have cleared the problem every time (OK, I often have to work the brush and the air a few times to clear the problem, and one time I had to take it to Sprint, where they used air and brush to clear it.). At least in my case, it's hardware.
    If it actually is a hardware problem, you can at least take something from my post. There's a chance it will solve itself over time. I had the problem frequently between about Aug/Sep '09 & Feb '10. It's never happened since. Best of luck. I remember the frustration.
    Hardware. Definately. This helps fix it. http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...dset-mode.html
    just had this problem with a new sprint pre. turned out to be related to battery - when the battery was low, it would think the headphones were in. took it sprint, and they had a way to fix it (well, we'll see, but right now it's working). the tech muttered something about "there's a stuck point".

anyway...
    On my way home from vacation this weekend, I was using Radio Time, and unplugged my headset. It's been stuck in headset mode ever since... can't get it out. At least not yet. What a pain! This is my second Pre to have an issue with the headphone jack. The first one had a lot of static and noise. Sent it to Palm with 1 week left on my original Palm warranty and they sent me a new one. (that was about 3 months ago). Hope I can get this issue resolved!
    Quote Originally Posted by templeghg22 View Post
    Its not preventable just a problem with all pre's. Known fixes are blowing into the headphone jack ( like a nintendo cartridge lol). Also you can put the headphones in an out till you fix it. The best way to test this is to call voicemail. I believe this is due to dust getting stuck in the jack.
    Blowing in it the headphone jack worked for me. I noticed it was quite dusty when I pulled the battery. I can't count how many times I tried plugging and unplugging it. The 'reset' didn't work for me either.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I believe the most common reason for this problem is dirt, dust, and whatnot shorting out the detection as explained in this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1817785.

The most reliable fix seems to be to strip off most of the cotton from a qtip, dip it in rubbing alcohol, and clean out the jack. This fixed my problem, and I haven't had trouble since. I found the qtip to be remarkably dirty, even though I keep my Pre in a case on my belt.
    I have had this problem with both of my Pre's!! It just about drove me insane and I will agree this is the best solution. I have actually dipped the headphone jack in rubbing alcohol and worked it in and out, works like a charm.
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    My Pre+ was stuck last weekend. The q tip & alcohol alone did not work for me, it would sometime give me a temporary fix for an hour or so. I finally had success by spraying WD40 on the headphone jack and working it in and out the socket several times, letting it sit for a bit and then cleaning the socket with a stripped q tip and alcohol.

The Ghastly Headset app (see post #29 in this thread) is useful in identifying this problem as well as an easy way to identify the current media and phone modes. Right now I am listening to Music (Remix) over Bluetooth and it tells me the Current Media Mode is media_a2dp and the Current Phone Mode is Bluetooth Headset.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Mine's been going in and out of headset mode all the time. However you can work around this problematic by installing the "AutoSpeakerphone via Proximity Sensor" patch. Whenever you make or pick up a call let it rest beside your head for a second until speakerphone activates. Now put it up to your ear: instead of switching to headset, it'll switch to earpiece. Presto!

P.S.: Same functionality is available in "Advanced configuration for System Preferences"
    'til we meet again.
    THL
    This has happened to me a few times recently. Definitely an issue with dirt in the headphone jack tho. Cleaned it out with a soft plastic dental pick and started working normally again.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    I've given up on the headset jack. I have gone all BT and never put anything in there anymore. I've tried all the solutions, but having to unstick it once a week, and having to take it 60 miles to Sprint to unstick it at least once a month when I haven't been able to unstick it was too much to have to hassle with.

I've gone to a Jabra BT840 earpiece for calls and podcasts while driving. I have a Jabra Halo for music. Not looking back. The headset jack is a piece of junk and you just have to work around it.
    My June 6 Pre is farked in the headset, thinks it's plugged in all the time now, and when there are headphones in the connection is VERY touchy.

Is there an app that will FORCE the Pre to ignore the headset on calls? Would be such an easy fix, I never use a wired headset.
    just switched out the headphone jack from my pre- comm board donor to my girlfriends pre- using this site thread.....her jack was permanently broken you could hear it jingle when you shook the phone...upon removal it looks like the springie metal is gone
    Palm Pre headphone jack repair

works great now.....I had problems with my pre- jack only once before I retired her so it should last a while in her pre
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12