Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Hello all,

Sorry if this is a duplicate post of something already in the forums. If it is, please point me there.

I am finally ready to go by a Pre. I am curious about other people's experiences of the purchasing and activation process.

What to expect during the activation process?
    What would you do differently?
    What's good?
    What's bad?
    What's ugly?

I'm going to get mine at Best Buy because I have some gift cards to burn.

Thanks in advance.
    I bought my at a sprint store, with an existing account. Not sure if you're a new subscriber or existing.

It was pretty quick and painless. They showed me the basic navigation of the phone since I was coming from a trackball. Also, they were able to transfer all my contacts from my old phone into my Pre. I suggest getting a car charger or a Touchstone dock. Be prepared to break in your battery. Once you do, it's all gravy. I'd advise getting it when you have a few hours to play, because you'll want to get 'intimate' with your new baby.

You'll have to set up a Palm account which is quick and easy. Everything is pretty user friendly on the Pre and if you can't figure something out I'd bet that someone on these forums has the answer for you.

I'm sure someone here went to Best Buy to get theirs so they can probably give you a more detailed account of what it's like at a third party store.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Thanks for the reply. I guess I could have helped my case by adding in some more details.

I am an existing Sprint customer with a Palm Treo 755p.

I've had the opportunity to get my hads on my brother-in-law's Pre, but he lived 5 hours away so I don't have easy access for more hands-on time.
    get ready for pure awesomeness
    I got mine from Sprint, but I buy a lot of stuff from BB. In fact all my previous phones.

1) BUY the extended warranty. Think its call Black Tie now..it is worth it, enough said.
    2) Check the pre out for any problems BEFORE you activate it if possible, oreo effect (1mm slgiht jitter is ok), then turn on during activation and check dead pixels. If all good get it!
    3) Activation is easy, stay in the store and finish all the way through getting your contacts synced and such so if you have any questions/problems. Usually none but just in case.
    4) BUY an Invisible Sheild...i love mine, but put it on yourself...they dont do it well from what i hear.
    5) Buy a holster case, as the one included is CRAP.
    6) If interested in a BT headset...i recommend Plantronics Voyager Pro

Other than that....good luck and enjoy...best investment EVER!
    I did mine in store as well..they handed the phone to me activated (but left the screen protector on thanks).

I've had NOTHING but a good experience thus far with my Pre. Maybe i don't push it as hard as some others...but my only negative was battery is a charge every night deal.

HOWEVER....I just turned off my Tweed push notifications and my battery has vastly improved. I was down to 90% by 12pm when I took my phone off the charger at 7:30am.

No complains with that at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    I got mine from Sprint, but I buy a lot of stuff from BB. In fact all my previous phones.

1) BUY the extended warranty. Think its call Black Tie now..it is worth it, enough said.
    2) Check the pre out for any problems BEFORE you activate it if possible, oreo effect (1mm slgiht jitter is ok), then turn on during activation and check dead pixels. If all good get it!
    3) Activation is easy, stay in the store and finish all the way through getting your contacts synced and such so if you have any questions/problems. Usually none but just in case.
    4) BUY an Invisible Sheild...i love mine, but put it on yourself...they dont do it well from what i hear.
    5) Buy a holster case, as the one included is CRAP.
    6) If interested in a BT headset...i recommend Plantronics Voyager Pro

Other than that....good luck and enjoy...best investment EVER!
    I prefer a pouch much more than a holster or rubbercase myself.

Coming from the blackberry curve I was very used to it. A case itself just covers what you are trying to protect...a pouch is a great are to keep your phone minor scratch free when its sitting in your pocket with change or with your keys.
    What's the difference between the Best Buy Black Tie Warranty and the one you can buy from Sprint (the $7/mo)? How much is the Black Tie Warranty? Does it just allow you to exchange your Pre for a new one if something goes wrong after the 30 days? Is there a deductible? Is there a need for both warranties (BB and Sprint)??
    Quote Originally Posted by kmcoch View Post
    What's the difference between the Best Buy Black Tie Warranty and the one you can buy from Sprint (the $7/mo)? How much is the Black Tie Warranty? Does it just allow you to exchange your Pre for a new one if something goes wrong after the 30 days? Is there a deductible? Is there a need for both warranties (BB and Sprint)??
    I actually have all the same questions for anyone who is able and willing to answer them.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    I prefer a pouch much more than a holster or rubbercase myself.

Coming from the blackberry curve I was very used to it. A case itself just covers what you are trying to protect...a pouch is a great are to keep your phone minor scratch free when its sitting in your pocket with change or with your keys.
    Sorry...to clarify...buy a leather pouch holster type case...like a body glove etc.

That is what I am using (Body Glove $20.00 Wal-Mart), especially since it was the only one out at launch date that would come close to fitting my Pre safely.
    Gotcha.

I stay away from Best Buy Warrenty cause they don't cover theft.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    You will expect pure joy when you get your Pre