Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    I headed down to my local sprint store this past week to pick up one of those bluetooth ipod adapters for my pre.

    See: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...d-adapter.html

    I started talking to the rep who was ringing up my adapter about the forums here and all the home brew applications that they have available. I ended up spending the next hour showing him all the applications such as File Coaster and even Doom. He was amazed by how many more applications were available that he had no idea about. We talked about how easy it has gotten to root the phone and how helpful everyone is here when their is any problems, He didnt really say much until I was showing him the pages in my launcher and he saw the "My Tether" program. I ended up explaining to him how it basically turns the Pre into the MiFi router. I was a little hesitant because of how sprint sort of condones tethering but he simply could not believe how well the program worked. He pulled out his Treo Pro and connected to the network I was broadcasting from my Pre and says.. "Yeah I'm picking up this phone tonight before I leave.. I was on the fence but with all the applications this is just amazing."

    I find it amazing how in the dark some of these employees are about all the software and "hacks" that are available to all their phones. He had heard of Precentral but had no idea about all the homebrew apps, he was familiar with rooting the pre but didnt seem to know anything about the linux back end or anything.

    I'm not to worried about him flagging my account or anything for tethering, I went to school with the guy and he was always pretty laid back.
    <I accidentally the whole pre>

    <Palm Pre Speed Test>

  2. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #2  
    SPRINT store folks are dumb for the most part , which is why SPRINT is in such a bad situation today.

    They have the cheap plan they have the best phone , yet they cannot get more customers .
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by i700plus View Post

    I find it amazing how in the dark some of these employees are about all the software and "hacks" that are available to all their phones.


    That's an obnoxious statement. Do you expect the average Sprint employee, who sells: Blackberries, WinMo, WebOS, PalmOS, Air Cards, Instincts, etc to on their own time research and be knowledgable about all the hacks of their entire product line.

    There are some employees who are really into knowing the details about every phone, but most employees just work there, have a phone they use daily and are happy without "hacking" and "homebrew". The people here are a SMALL SMALL percentage of the average Pre users.


    That's pretty much the equivalent of a car salesman being "in the dark" about all the exhausts and turbo and nitrous and ground effects available for one of the many models of car they sell.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    SPRINT store folks are dumb for the most part , which is why SPRINT is in such a bad situation today.

    They have the cheap plan they have the best phone , yet they cannot get more customers .
    Yes, because on top of the 30+ phones, products and plans that they have to have a general understanding of, and the new phones that get pushed out, they should know about all the homebrew and hacks out there.

    That is completely ridiculous. Their job is to know the basics and hopefully ins and outs of the Palm Pre out of the box, not what homebrewers and hackers are capable of.

    I understand if you have a complaint about them not knowing something simple about the phone's actual functions, but to complain they don't know about the "hacking" is ridiculous in every aspect. The great majority of phone users and employees couldn't care less.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by zeravla531 View Post
    That's an obnoxious statement. Do you expect the average Sprint employee, who sells: Blackberries, WinMo, WebOS, PalmOS, Air Cards, Instincts, etc to on their own time research and be knowledgable about all the hacks of their entire product line.

    There are some employees who are really into knowing the details about every phone, but most employees just work there, have a phone they use daily and are happy without "hacking" and "homebrew". The people here are a SMALL SMALL percentage of the average Pre users.


    That's pretty much the equivalent of a car salesman being "in the dark" about all the exhausts and turbo and nitrous and ground effects available for one of the many models of car they sell.
    I agree. There are just too many phones out there with too many different features for them to be expected to memorize every last detail of.
  6. #6  
    That's great!

    I am an inderect Sprint dealer and just talked an iPhone junky into getting a Pre, he comes in to work today, so I'm going to have a blast showing him all the cool stuff you can do through this site. And GBP, not all Sprint Reps are stupid. Some are just there for the hourly paycheck. I, however, know that most of the reps in the company I work for, know the ins and outs of the phones, and give customers trustworthy sites like this one and crackberry if they seem interested in modding their phone.

    Just remember, new phones come out monthly, plans change, and pricing changes, at work, there isn't much time to look up oddities on the net about what you can do with a phone you don't own.
  7.    #7  
    Understood that it should be expected that Sprint store employee's are not as involved as us with hacking the phone and all the custom modifications that are available, I guess I never really looked at it that way before. Thanks
    <I accidentally the whole pre>

    <Palm Pre Speed Test>

  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by zeravla531 View Post
    That's an obnoxious statement. Do you expect the average Sprint employee, who sells: Blackberries, WinMo, WebOS, PalmOS, Air Cards, Instincts, etc to on their own time research and be knowledgable about all the hacks of their entire product line.
    ...
    To be fair and add a little more to the mix, many (most?) of them are part time employees working there while they're in college. My daughter and son-in-law both worked for Sprint, and both under those conditions (well, my daughter was full time, and a part-time college student).

    In addition, I'm almost sure that their commission structure is based on accounts, not the value of the phone. In other words, they get the same bonus for a 2 year contract on a $25 phone as they do on a 2 year contract on a $200 phone.
  9. #9  
    Don't Sprint employees have to wait until Sept 6th to get one anyways (3 month rule)?

    I made this same statement when people were hassling reps in stores before the Pre came out. They are working their job and while some may have some interest in the phone, they're not all crazy like us.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    Don't Sprint employees have to wait until Sept 6th to get one anyways (3 month rule)?

    I made this same statement when people were hassling reps in stores before the Pre came out. They are working their job and while some may have some interest in the phone, they're not all crazy like us.
    Yesterday the rep was bragging that they can finally get the pre, so id imagine maybe they can get it earlier than expected?
    <I accidentally the whole pre>

    <Palm Pre Speed Test>

  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    ...
    while some may have some interest in the phone, they're not all crazy like us.
    Great way to put it. It's funny though, my experience (and I've met a lot of Sprint reps because of my kids working with Sprint) is that all of them seem to be a phone enthusiast, but most of them are enthusiastic about either a particular phone, or a particular use for the phones. So, the Sprint Rep that's a BB fan probably won't know much about the Pre. Unfortunately, until just recently, they couldn't buy a Pre, so the tendency was that they probably weren't individually big fans.

    Oh, and I think Sprint recently shortened/lifted the ban on purchases.
  12. #12  
    Look at it this way, if you worked for Sprint, how much would YOU know about another phone??? You would be a Pre expert but if someone asked you about another model that you were not really "into" you would only know the basics. Then if a customer that was really into that phone came in, he would think the same of you. ii

    You cannot expect others to be all geeky like we are! ii
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

    Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

    Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
  13. Camel's Avatar
    Posts
    318 Posts
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    #13  
    In regards to sprint reps...just out of curiosity...what if you go out and buy one on your own?
    will they fire you? sounds bs.
    Made this just for fun...I'm Kermit

  14. #14  
    I don't feel too bad for Sprint employees. I work at Best Buy Mobile and we have to be fluent in at least 3 major carriers activation procedures, their rate plans, their phones, their mobile broadband services, as well as be versed in the workings of 7+ prepaid services and their phones.
    SCH-A890 --> VX 9800 "V" --> VX 9900 "enV" --> Blackberry 8330 --> iPhone 3G --> Palm Pre --> iPhone 3GS
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Camel View Post
    In regards to sprint reps...just out of curiosity...what if you go out and buy one on your own?
    will they fire you? sounds bs.

    hehe, I am on a consumer plan, so I just went to a local best buy and bought mine, my company couldn't really say anything since no money came out of their pocket
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Great way to put it. It's funny though, my experience (and I've met a lot of Sprint reps because of my kids working with Sprint) is that all of them seem to be a phone enthusiast, but most of them are enthusiastic about either a particular phone, or a particular use for the phones. So, the Sprint Rep that's a BB fan probably won't know much about the Pre. Unfortunately, until just recently, they couldn't buy a Pre, so the tendency was that they probably weren't individually big fans.

    Oh, and I think Sprint recently shortened/lifted the ban on purchases.
    I've actually been quite surprised by the Sprint employees at my store. Every time they seem genuinely interested in my phone and ask how I like it and what mods I have tried out (guy saw my 4x4 hack).
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Camel View Post
    In regards to sprint reps...just out of curiosity...what if you go out and buy one on your own?
    will they fire you? sounds bs.
    My guess is it's either to make sure the customers who arn't getting an employee discount have an ample stock of all phones.

    It could be that a rep can get a phone at any time, but they won't get a discount if it is within their agreed purchase date, I'm not really familiar to how Sprint goes about this but my guess is something along these lines.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions