1.    #1  
    Hi,

I'm thinking about purchasing a BAD ESN Palm Pre.

Main reason is I just want to use the Pre and an "i touch" not an "i phone"

I want to use all the features available from Pre except the sprint service.

such as mp3, video, wi-fi and such..

So I was wondering If I buy a Palm Pre from ebay that has a BAD ESN would it let me access to WI-FI and play mp3 music players and camera w/o activating the phone??

My guess is it won't let me do anything at all until I activate the phone..

If not is there a way i can flash(?) so I can use the palm pre features w/o the sprint features?

please let me know if someone knows any info in this matter.

thanks in advance

please don't ask me why I'm doing this. thanks
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    In other words, you jacked some kids pre and want to know if it's still usable?
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    haha if it wasn't for the "please don't ask me why I'm doing this" the above poster probably wouldn't have said that
    As soon as it is powered on and the unit detects the # or esn is not active, it will go into programming mode and it wont go past the first few screens..

And why are you doing this??
    More to the point, the Palm TX can do far more than the iPod Touch. If what you want is a 320x480 PDA that does WiFi, multimedia, games and Web browsing, and supports up to 32GB of external SDHC storage (with Dmitry Grinberg's PowerSDHC driver from PalmPowerUps.com), the TX is probably the best out there, and readily available on eBay. {ProfJonathan}
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by darcside View Post
    In other words, you jacked some kids pre and want to know if it's still usable?
    is that what happened to you??

read my post!

i don't even have a pre!! i was planning to buy one on ebay if i can figure this thing out

Quote Originally Posted by avadyn View Post
    haha if it wasn't for the "please don't ask me why I'm doing this" the above poster probably wouldn't have said that
    i meant don't ask me why i'm not just getting an itouch and instead going through this hassle.
    Last edited by evistor; 08/12/2009 at 01:06 PM.
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfJonathan View Post
    More to the point, the Palm TX can do far more than the iPod Touch. If what you want is a 320x480 PDA that does WiFi, multimedia, games and Web browsing, and supports up to 32GB of external SDHC storage (with Dmitry Grinberg's PowerSDHC driver from PalmPowerUps.com), the TX is probably the best out there, and readily available on eBay. {ProfJonathan}
    Which is why I LOVE my TX and still carry it daily! It even sits on the desk with my phone and computer. I will look up epocrates on the TX before the online version on the computer!

Sure wish I could find a cheap fix for my Sony Clie NX73...I loved that thing! It's got a short or a bad connector in the swivel part of the screen.

Being me has its advantages.

-- Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
    For what you would pay for a Pre with a bad ESN, you could buy an iPod touch off eBay. What you are looking for to do is use the Pre in way it was never intended. Don't think you'll find much luck or sympathy here either way.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Dude... you just opened up a can of worms and spilled them ALL over our floor... Now go pick them back up and we would be more than happy to show you other devices that work MUCH better at the PDA function than a Pre with no service.... Its pretty much pointless.
    <I accidentally the whole pre>

<Palm Pre Speed Test>

Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    wont work kid!
    save your money and get an itouch. "itwontwork" the pre will ask u to go into that screen to register it etc..
    Made this just for fun...I'm Kermit

11.    #11  
    thanks Camel.

I just needed that simple answer..

WOW!!!
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    no problem. drama is very intense in the forums while people get used to their pre's. Say we should have someone homebrew a drama app!
    And then there's the fact that there's no such thing as an "iTouch," but I'm not going to spend too much time fixing Apple's tradmark issues.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic