Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Okay I'm sure this issue is covered somewhere but rather than search hundreds of posts for my specific problem, I am reaching out to the Pre people for a quick solution to my prob...
    I can't get this ball rolling with homebrews... I am using Windows XP Pro and currently have these icons loaded on my desktop: Palm webOS SDK, Sun xVM VirtualBox, Palm Emulator and Orca. I've followed the steps here, http://www.precentral.net/how-to-install-homebrew-apps I get all the way up to having 'fcoaster' on the Quick Install and when I hit 'Install' it does nothing??? (I'm in Developer Mode too) Now, when I try and download say 'switcharoo' or 'my notification', it defaults to Internet Explorer and opens a blank page after downloading. It wont let me switch to Firefox for some reason but I dont think that matters. It won't allow me to put files on my desktop either since I put fcoaster there.
    Noob, me, uh ya, very much so.
    I'm hoping it's something simple I'm missing here and would greatly appreciate any help here. Thanks in advance Preople
    You have to have root access to your Pre in order to install file coaster. But after it is installed, you will not need to root to install MOST of the homebrew apps, because you can now use file coaster to install them. Follow this guide:
    you do NOT need to be rooted for file coaster. false information
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    I know too little to dabble in rooting my Pre and I will most definitely brick my phone or something irreversible.
    Homebrews do not require rooting and even 'fcoaster' says "no" to root required. Now I'm more confused.?.
    i'm sorry if i gave the wrong info (didn't know what i was thinking). I actually made a very simple guide on how i did mine. Maybe you could check to see if you are missing any steps:Palm Pre Forum - Homebrew app installation for noobs

But it is true. You do not need to root in order to install file coaster.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Ya I've went through these steps too and can't seem to get it to work. I think I'll uninstall everything and start from scratch again. Will update my results thankz.. .
    Yeah you should do that...This time though, i suggest you use my guide, cuz i practically explained everything that will happen step by step.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    So I don't need the Palm Emulator and Virtual Box ya? I think there being more than one way to do this is what's messing me up too.

Uninstalling now... and will try your method Dab...
    I don't think you do...Like i said, just follow my instructions step-by-step.
    Last edited by Dabigappledadon; 08/12/2009 at 02:01 AM.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Well smack my *** and call me Sally!
    Got rid of everything and all I did was install WebOs QI again and it pulled up fcoaster (must not have deleted that properly) and boom there it is on my Pre. Wa wa woo wee my Pre just got a whole lot sweetah I'm especially stoked that the Homebrews are right there on my phone for quick downloads. Too cool...
    Now, when these individual Hbrews get updated will it be like on the Pre apps where there is a little icon within the icon to alert me of an update, or is it a different experience with HB? Also, I seem to remember preople (that's my new word for us, haha) had issues with their HBs when Palm did their last update. Is that something to be overly concerned about when the next update comes or just play that one by ear?
    Big thanks to 'Dabig' and hopefully this thread can help others with getting their homebrew on.. .
    What did any of this have to do with beer?
    glad i could help
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    Well smack my *** and call me Sally!
    Got rid of everything and all I did was install WebOs QI again and it pulled up fcoaster (must not have deleted that properly) and boom there it is on my Pre. Wa wa woo wee my Pre just got a whole lot sweetah I'm especially stoked that the Homebrews are right there on my phone for quick downloads. Too cool...
    Now, when these individual Hbrews get updated will it be like on the Pre apps where there is a little icon within the icon to alert me of an update, or is it a different experience with HB? Also, I seem to remember preople (that's my new word for us, haha) had issues with their HBs when Palm did their last update. Is that something to be overly concerned about when the next update comes or just play that one by ear?
    Big thanks to 'Dabig' and hopefully this thread can help others with getting their homebrew on.. .
    You will have to keep checking the Homebrew section to see if there are updates for them. The device will not notify you of any. But the good part is that if there are updates, you can easily download the new version of that app with filecoaster (the new version will automatically overwrite the old version)
    The original thread title would mean that this would have to move to the OffTopic forum:
    Homebrew is beer right?

The title is changed so that others who might need help can see this thread for the help it really is.

- Craig