1.    #1  
    New Pre user, new Sprint user at this location. I'm in an area marked on the map by excellent coverage, and have terrible coverage. I've been back and forth with Sprint about this, but that's not the point of my post. I'm posting because I discovered something.

As is known, poor reception is hard on the battery in the Pre; I'd say that if I take my fully-charged brand-new phone, close all software, turn off email updates, and set it in the window, making no calls, receiving no calls, the battery will be run down in less than 3 hours. I'm working with Sprint on fixing my reception issues so that this is remedied.

But I noticed two interesting things. Going into "airplane mode" and leaving the fully-charged phone alone, after 28 hours the battery was still "100%".

Second interesting thing: wifi helps battery life over cell-data, we know that. But when you "lock" the phone, it turns off wifi, but doesn't turn off cell-data!

So, when I unlock the phone, I see the EV lit up, the wifi off, and the phone is hot from trying to find the network, and the battery will have lost like 20% in 15 minutes. As soon as the wifi comes back up, the EV/1X shuts down, of course.

This to me sounds like a bug. If wifi is the more efficient radio, and it's present, it should still be the more efficient radio when the screen is locked and background data-collection activities run. To shut-down the wifi radio and force the phone to search for signal is a terrible idea. Either both data signals should be shut down, or the wifi should stay up. Why not just have the radio come up with mail or whatever needs the network?

As-is, ironically, my phone battery life is several times greater when it is under use than when it is "asleep".

Anyone else have this experience, and does anyone know a good way to get this information into a webOS bug-tracker?
    EV also functions to receive your calls. Turn it off, no more incoming calls or sms. The accelerated battery life could be due to bouncing between signal strengths.
  3.    #3  
    I don't think that's true, actually... I think that the EVDO is strictly data. That's why when it's on "1X" you can still get calls. Also, you can get calls when wifi is on (and therefore EV is off).

Even if you were right, the phone shouldn't shut down the more efficient radio and power-up the less-efficient radio when "sleeping".
    Last edited by mfeif; 08/11/2009 at 10:56 PM. Reason: remembered wifi factor
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Until Sprint fixes the problem in your area, I'd suggest doing the Roam-only
    hack. I've found it incredibly useful at reducing the battery suckage
    when I'm in areas of poor Sprint coverage, and I can still get
    calls and even do some data. When I'm up in the mountains
    Sprint will suck my battery dry in about 2-3 hours. With Roam-only
    it drops 15-20% over the whole day.

ian
    Whether it's the right choice or not, it's not a bug as this is how Palm has designed the phone. Perhaps in normal signal areas the cell radio is more efficient than wifi in idle, whereas the wifi may be more efficient in use.

Clearly this is not the case in your situation.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfeif View Post
    New Pre user, new Sprint user at this location. I'm in an area marked on the map by excellent coverage, and have terrible coverage. I've been back and forth with Sprint about this, but that's not the point of my post. I'm posting because I discovered something.

As is known, poor reception is hard on the battery in the Pre; I'd say that if I take my fully-charged brand-new phone, close all software, turn off email updates, and set it in the window, making no calls, receiving no calls, the battery will be run down in less than 3 hours. I'm working with Sprint on fixing my reception issues so that this is remedied.

But I noticed two interesting things. Going into "airplane mode" and leaving the fully-charged phone alone, after 28 hours the battery was still "100%".

Second interesting thing: wifi helps battery life over cell-data, we know that. But when you "lock" the phone, it turns off wifi, but doesn't turn off cell-data!

So, when I unlock the phone, I see the EV lit up, the wifi off, and the phone is hot from trying to find the network, and the battery will have lost like 20% in 15 minutes. As soon as the wifi comes back up, the EV/1X shuts down, of course.

This to me sounds like a bug. If wifi is the more efficient radio, and it's present, it should still be the more efficient radio when the screen is locked and background data-collection activities run. To shut-down the wifi radio and force the phone to search for signal is a terrible idea. Either both data signals should be shut down, or the wifi should stay up. Why not just have the radio come up with mail or whatever needs the network?

As-is, ironically, my phone battery life is several times greater when it is under use than when it is "asleep".

Anyone else have this experience, and does anyone know a good way to get this information into a webOS bug-tracker?
    YEs I noticed this too...if im on wifi and my phone goes idle and I go to unlock it..it shows EV but then the WIFI picks back on like it "re connects" so idk if its a glitch or just a phone software to turn off wifi when not in "active" use but willl reconnect once active>.?
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    I find massive signal fluctuations when using EV sometimes. My signal meter will jump from full to 2 bars to full to 1 bar to full in an area that is otherwise completely solid coverage when not using EV. Something weird is going on with the radio and data. Whether that contributes to the battery, I do not know.

I can tell you that today, I turned my phone on at 9 am and as of 3:30, it was at 90%. that is really odd for me.
    I have a dumb question - Is EVDO sprints 3G data network?

Is it possible to turn EV completely off? I'm almost always in a wifi zone, so I would prefer to be able to turn sprints data off unless I need to use it and don't have wifi.
    Quote Originally Posted by glomgold View Post
    I have a dumb question - Is EVDO sprints 3G data network?

Is it possible to turn EV completely off? I'm almost always in a wifi zone, so I would prefer to be able to turn sprints data off unless I need to use it and don't have wifi.
    Yes it is.

Yes you can.