Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    ok just got my pre and WOW I LOVE it, the nicest looking, feeling and smoothest os ever even more so then android. but 2 minor things, of course the oreo effect. I kinda have it. My phone will slide right maybe a tiny bit so you can see a little bit of the back, is this common? I am debating whether to exchange it because of this.

and this isnt anything really just curious, my home/main button has a little wiggle to it, is it supposed to? or supposed to be firm?

thanks
    the max twist distance on mine is no more than 1 mm - I would consider 2 mm to still be normal tolerance for a slider. my home button does not wiggle - I would consider a slight wiggle normal.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    yeah mines around 1mm in slide. and a slight wiggle. mainly concerned about oreo effect :/

I have 0 pull with it coming away from back. its VERY tight against phone which is good
    Consider yourself lucky then. My 2nd Pre wobbled like hell. My 3rd and current has what you're describing but is otherwise solid.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    and yeah the home button deff. has some wiggle. if you rub your finger over it, itll move with your finger with some decent wiggle
    If that is the only "problems" you have with the phone, then I would keep it in a heartbeat. My phone has a little color discoloration and wiggles a little (which is a part of the phone). I'm willing to overlook these easily.

Simple enough to say that it's not worth the hassle since you might exchange the phone 3-4 times before you get a "perfect" build. I think it's understandable if you get a TRUE oreo effect where you can twist the screen off the slider, have unresponsive screen, or other legitimate issues.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    ok so around 2mm is a keeper? to what extent do you think its worth an exchange?

and I have TEP with my phone, say 3 months from now the oreo effect gets really bad, would they exchange it in store?
    Does it affect your use of the phone? Mine will tweak a little if I use both hands and try to twist it, but since intentionally twisting the phone with two hands isn't part of how I normally use it, I don't sweat it.

I've also noticed that if I stick my finger in my eye it hurts.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    yeah it doesnt really affect it, but i have certain OCD, and this is one of them. its like I cant stop twisting it, im not FORCING it, but just slightly to see if its getting bigger.

ahhh my stupid weird ocd's.
    I am not someone who normally goes out of my way to look for problems, but all the drama on this forum had me paranoid and regularly checking mine at one point. Now I just enjoy my phone.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    yeah i think thats what it is, all this drama and the messages with problems has me constantly checking, i hope it goes away. and I guess if it gets really bad I will exchange it sicne I have insurance
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    The oreo effect can be a little un-nerving. I wasn't overly aware of it until I read the forums and now its probably my biggest pet peeve with the pre. That being said, I'm pretty sure its normal. I haven't heard of any pre's splitting in two... well yet anyway.

By the way Congratulations on joining the pre-ownership club!
    Does anyone have pictures or video of what the oreo effect looks like?
    Quote Originally Posted by samrozzi View Post
    link to picture
    Yeah, that's messed up.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Is THAT how bad it's getting for people? I'd be taking it back too if it was even half that bad. Mine's only 1mm.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    GAH! After seeing that I have no complaints about mine! I'll live with the 1-2mm.
    Wow! I would be afraid to even try to use it if mine were that bad! I will stop worrying about the slight oreo effect that I'm experiencing.
    I've had my Pre for about a week now and although I think it's from the newer batches (silver button, not sure) it still has a little bit of oreo in it. I'd say sub 2 mm.

However, I got a rocketfish hard case with swivel clip for it yesterday and although it was a ***** to get on there, it totally removed the oreo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy123 View Post
    Is THAT how bad it's getting for people? I'd be taking it back too if it was even half that bad. Mine's only 1mm.
    That's a broken phone. Remove the battery on your phone and check the mechanism, you'll see it's not possible for it to get to that in a gradual way.