Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I called sprint yesterday (where I bought mine) telling the guy who sold it to me about a slight twisting motion with the slider.
    It started with no give now it is a bit more noticeable.
    If I push the slider up a bit I am able to twist it somewhat noticeably clockwise.

The guy said I should take it to another sprint store across town so that a tech could take a look at it and see if they could fix it or tell me what to do.
    Any thoughts/advice on this?

I just want a new one and it is still within the 30 days.
    I'm pretty sure they'll just end up giving you a new one. Taking it to a Sprint store with a repair center is more of a formality, I believe. They did the same thing to me, but ended up giving me a new one after messing with my phone for about 20 minutes. They might or might not give you a hard time about replacing it. Depends on the representative and the manager in charge. Just stick to your guns, because you paid good money to have a phone in good condition, not one that twists as you slide it open. And it's quite possible that it could get progressively worse. But more than likely, they should replace it hassle free. I'm sure you won't be the first nor the last to have this problem.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    So I should take what it came with (micro-usb cable, etc) along to turn it all in?
    Yeah, you should take everything that came with it with you. They'll either let you keep it, or give you an all new box with new accessories. Or if you're lucky, they'll let you keep your stuff & still give you a new box with accessories. That happened to me.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    ok sprint stores CANNOT even look at the pres. I am a sprint employee and we are not allowed to take apart the pres, except from changing the battery if we even open them at all we are fired on the spot. So it doesnt matter really, we would just give an exchange or order one.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samrozzi View Post
    ok sprint stores CANNOT even look at the pres. I am a sprint employee and we are not allowed to take apart the pres, except from changing the battery if we even open them at all we are fired on the spot. So it doesnt matter really, we would just give an exchange or order one.
    Do you know if I'd get a new one (in-store exchange or ordered) or a refurbished one (would rather keep this one if that is the case) or does it depend on the store/supplies?
    Take it in if they can't fix it you will get another 1 plain n simple. i did this the only hassle was the wait. If you have pictures back them up first.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to take it in today after work. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    I was given a brand new battery and my phone works flawlessly now!.....hardware perfect...battery life PERFECT...
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Well I took it in today and the 'tech' there said that it is normal for these 'models' to loosen up like that because of the rails that the slider was on. He said that only if it got really bad to take it in.
    I really didn't know what to say.
    I was thinking about going back to where I bought them and telling them that the tech said there was nothing he could do (he did say they weren't allowed to mess with them) and see if they gave me a new one but I don't know how well that would work out.
    Quote Originally Posted by samurai mike View Post
    Just stick to your guns
    Quote Originally Posted by j0sh097 View Post
    Well I took it in today and the 'tech' there said that it is normal...

I really didn't know what to say.
    Hrm... I realize that it can be uncomfortable, even somewhat combative to request a new phone, but your 30 days are counting down. I suggest that you reevaluate samuraimike's comnent and then return to the store to take no prisoners.

If Sprint employees truly cannot work on the phone then they cannot assess the faults, and you can insist on a new phone. Do so!

BTW... I spoke to a Sprint Rep today on the phone about some flash black screen issues I have been experiencing intermittently and he told me the following when I inquired about replacemnts during the 30day "no questions asked" (his words) period VERSUS the replacement after 30days if I have Total Equipment Replacement Plan.

He said that replacements within 30 days get new phones and that most likely Total Equipment Replacement Plan replacements get refurbished phones.

He actually suggested that I make sure and insist on a new phone if I ask for a replacement within 30 days period.

So... go gets you a NEW phone!!
    I am outside the 30-day return period, and have been experiencing the "oreo" effect. I took mine in to a Sprint repair store a few days ago, and they told me the same thing, that it was normal for these types of slider phones. Considering that I have seen other Pres with no twisting effect whatsoever, I'd argue otherwise, but they just weren't going to do it.

If I take it to a corporate store and claim the repair store couldn't do anything for me, is it possible they will replace my phone under TEP, or am I probably out of luck? I'd even take a refurbished one if it meant a better slider.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superduperpre View Post
    Hrm... I realize that it can be uncomfortable, even somewhat combative to request a new phone, but your 30 days are counting down. I suggest that you reevaluate samuraimike's comnent and then return to the store to take no prisoners.

If Sprint employees truly cannot work on the phone then they cannot assess the faults, and you can insist on a new phone. Do so!

BTW... I spoke to a Sprint Rep today on the phone about some flash black screen issues I have been experiencing intermittently and he told me the following when I inquired about replacemnts during the 30day "no questions asked" (his words) period VERSUS the replacement after 30days if I have Total Equipment Replacement Plan.

He said that replacements within 30 days get new phones and that most likely Total Equipment Replacement Plan replacements get refurbished phones.

He actually suggested that I make sure and insist on a new phone if I ask for a replacement within 30 days period.

So... go gets you a NEW phone!!
    Alright then I'll to go today after work. I'm going to tell them that the tech said he wasn't allowed to work on it that I know I am entitled to a new one upon request since I am still within the 30 days.
    I've had many of the same issues as you all. My first Pre had dead pixels and overheating issues, I couldn't make it the store I bought it from in 30 days because I was away at college so I got a refurb. The refurb has the infamous oreo effect. I'll spare you the details of the 3 days, multiple trips to the store, and 4+ hours on the phone getting awful customer service. The thing that eventually did the trick was calling the number for "advanced tech support" given to me by one of the service reps.... 877-809-6696. The person on this line was actually extremely helpful and able to resolve the issue.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Well they said no.
    Because of 'physical/hardware damage' (got some scratches/dents at the top when I was drunk (don't even know how but see the attached picture)). They said I'd have to file a claim and pay a $100 deductible for a replacement even if it is within the 30 days (they're up on Sunday) so screw that. I can live with it (at least for now).

Anybody know if I can claim it 'lost' and still just pay the $100 (so I can keep the old one at least)?
    Attached Images Attached Images