Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi everyone! I already posted this question over on everythingpre, but I thought I'd ask about it here too since this is a much larger community.

I've been wanting to purchase a Pre for some time now, but I've heard several reports of the plastic screen/keyboard being cheap and cracking under standard (or even light) use. Some people claim that the Pre will crack just from keeping it in your pocket. Others claim their Pre's cracked just sitting on a table. These reports are the only thing keeping me from upgrading to a Pre. All the other reports, like the screen bleeding, dead pixels, heat issues, battery problems (assuming the new battery didn't solve these), the Oreo effect, etc. didn't shatter my confidence in the Pre.

I tried doing some research on the cracking and found a story done right here on Pre|Central. Below the story there were over 100 comments, with at least 80% of commenters saying they've had this issue (some claiming it happened more than once). Some went as far as to say they were on their 3rd, 4th, 5th, even 6th Pre (not necessarily always for a crack)...in two months!?

Even with all the horror stories, I decided to go to the Sprint store and check out the Pre (about 90% certain I was walking out with one). I went to the Sprint store this past Sunday, walked over to the two Pre's on display, and instantly noticed one of them had a crack starting at the charge port and going about 1" across the screen. A Sprint employee came over and I figured he was ready to give me his sales pitch, but to my surprise he all but told me not to get the Pre. From the sound of it, this guy was really tired of exchanging/returning Pre's. He said there were a lot of exchanges on the Pre, but even more returns on them. He said "most people" buy them and return them in two weeks for a Blackberry. He pointed to three different spots on the phone that he said customers experience cracks on all the time -- 1. Coming from the charge port and going across the screen 2. Coming from the "home" button and going up the screen 3. Cracks on the side of the keyboard slider. The setup they have in their store have the Pre's constantly attached to the TouchStone when they're not in use. He said the TouchStone makes the phone really hot, which weakens the plastic, causing it to crack. I asked him if they would exchange my Pre if it cracked and he said "yes", but then suggested I just get a Blackberry instead. However, since the Pre is the only Sprint phone I'm interested in, I walked out of there.

After my visit to the Sprint store, I checked out these forums and, after searching through about 10 pages of topics, couldn't find more than one post regarding this screen cracking issue. The one post I did find was a poll, which asked:

Did your PRE screen crack?
    No - still in good condition (361 votes, 73.6%)
    Yes - but I dropped or bumped it (21 votes, 4.2%)
    Yes - but I was careful with it (108 votes, 22.0%)

Close to 1 in 4 people right here on these forums reported the cracks after "being careful with the Pre". So this poll certainly didn't give me the confidence to head back to the Sprint store any time soon.

Further Googling lead me to everythingpre, where I found a thread titled "So...does anyone have their original Pre?" (sorry, I can't post a link as I have fewer than 10 posts). About 95% of people who replied to that forum topic claim to still be using their day one Pre's with either small issues or no issues at all.

So what's the story with this cracking? How many people here have experienced it? Anyone experienced it more than once? Do you guys have your Pre in a case? Do you guys carry your Pre in your pocket? What do you think the chances are that Palm will improve the hardware on the first gen Pre to remedy all these early issues?

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by glomgold; 08/11/2009 at 05:42 PM.
    I keep my phone in my pocket, sometimes with the sleeve that came with it and I have not experienced the screen cracking. I've dropped it on concrete a couple of times and only have a couple of scuffs on the upper corner of the phone.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I've had mine since 7/3. Would have gotten it on launch date, but I was abroad. I keep mine in the pouch that comes with it, in my pocket constantly. No issue at all with the screen.
    Had mine since the last upgrade so I could use Exchange security, about 6 weeks now. I carried it in the pouch in my shirt or pants pocket until last week when I put a Phantomskinz on it. Abolutely no cracks, looks and feels good as new. But then again I had a 700P that looked like new after 2.5 years. I take very good care of my phones.
    Its an extremely isolated thing, from what I can tell. It will be augmented on these kinds of forums, because this is the first place people go when they have issues.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I have had my Pre since 7/1.

My Pre sits on a touchstone all day at work and every night when I am sleeping. I have dropped it on concrete from about 5 feet in the air and besides scuffing up the battery cover it took the fall like a champ. I've dropped it numerous other times also but none of the other drops were anything to be concerned about.

Overall, I have been impressed with the durability of the Pre. It will not rival the Instinct I previously owned durability-wise, but given the design of the phone I think it is surprisingly durable.

Oh, and no cracks or scratches on the screen to speak of here.
    I didn't have screen cracking but have had all the other problems. Oreo that just started, screen bleed, and horrible battery life. I'm on my second going to the third

I had a best buy rep pleading I not buy it. She pulled me aside and said that 70% of the ones they sell are coming back and said the manager in that store will only let you do 2 returns before telling you to try another store.

She told me she sees a new defect every few days. when I came back to do my first exchange she just gave me a little smirk and that said it all. She thought I was crazy ti be buying another.

I would say maybe this was a fluke thing, but my sprint rep kept telling me to stay away from the pre and get the tour
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Its an extremely isolated thing, from what I can tell. It will be augmented on these kinds of forums, because this is the first place people go when they have issues.
    Unless/until Sprint/Palm release defect data, this debate is pointless. I think the poster is being wise in trying to asses the risk he wants to take on.

And the 1:4 is high, even for a forum like this and gives any reasonable person at least a moment to pause over the issue. While the OP dismisses some of the other problem, they are troublesome. Particularlly the OREO effect which can allow more water and dirt into the device that would be possible otherwise.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    I have had zero screen issues and have kept the same phone I originally purchased on 7/16.

For the first month, I just carried it in the Palm leather slip case (which I love). I was pretty careful with it, but knocked it off the edge of my couch and onto wood floors a couple times accidentally (of course). Nothing happened to the phone inside or out.

Once I decided for sure to keep the phone, I added an Invisible Shield to the front (and still use the leather slip case).
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm really thinking that I may go ahead and get the Pre. If it seems like the build quality is questionable after 30 days, I'll exchange it for a Blackberry (even though I don't really want one), and wait and see if there's ever a 2nd gen Pre.

Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    While the OP dismisses some of the other problem, they are troublesome. Particularlly the OREO effect which can allow more water and dirt into the device that would be possible otherwise.
    I don't dismiss any of the other problems, I just don't consider them deal breakers. It sounds like the other problems vary from phone to phone, where as I imagine the cracking would not (all Pre's are made from the same plastic, and all Pre's crack in the same locations). If I got a Pre that had a bleeding screen, dead pixels, bad Oreo effect, etc. it would bug the heck out of me, but, assuming I ever even left the store with it, I would exchange it and try another one. My only concern is that Palm possibly made the phones out of a low quality plastic and the phone apparently gets really hot. I figured the cracking wasn't a fluke some phones had, but rather a build quality issue that all phones would inevitably have.
    Last edited by glomgold; 08/11/2009 at 08:41 PM.
    My current pre did not have the oreo problem. This started happening after using it for 4 days. I am not a heavy user and the phone is never in my pocket. I really thought if it didn't wiggle in the store I would be good, but to my surprise I am not
    A poll on this forum is close to meaningless as the results can easily be skewed by trolls. Having had my Pre for a while, I can safely say there is no plastic defect nor am I afraid of it cracking. However, just like most miniature electronic devices with plastic housings, if you apply to too much pressure, you can f&ck it up. At least there is insurance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    Unless/until Sprint/Palm release defect data, this debate is pointless. I think the poster is being wise in trying to asses the risk he wants to take on.

And the 1:4 is high, even for a forum like this and gives any reasonable person at least a moment to pause over the issue. While the OP dismisses some of the other problem, they are troublesome. Particularlly the OREO effect which can allow more water and dirt into the device that would be possible otherwise.
    Its 1 in 4 of a very very tiny minority on a board that only has a minority of the pre owners in the usa. It is statistically insignificant. I never voted in the original poll, neither did 10s of thousands of people on this forum. We're close to 60k members, if not over that by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    A poll on this forum is close to meaningless as the results can easily be skewed by trolls.
    No more than it can be skewed by fanbois.

Also, the poll doesn't allow you to change your vote, so you can vote "no" my Pre hasn't cracked and 2 days later it cracks, so in that regard it is definitely meaningless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    No more than it can be skewed by fanbois. .
    Pick your poison...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    This phone is the best thing I've ever seen. It is my second one, but I really don't care. I'll keep exchanging this if necessary until the perfect build is made. Btw, I don't have a screen cracking issue. And, you need more than two weeks to really understand the power of this device. To be honest, I didn't like the Pre near as much as I do now after two weeks of owning it. I believe if all those people who returned theirs in that time are missing out and should have waited a little longer.

Soup.
  17.    #17  
    No more than it can be skewed by fanbois.
    LOL. Very true.

Also, the poll doesn't allow you to change your vote, so you can vote "no" my Pre hasn't cracked and 2 days later it cracks, so in that regard it is definitely meaningless.
    This is also very true, but I already knew I should take the poll with a grain of salt. I'm definitely going to get a Pre this weekend, if not just for a 30-day trial. I normally treat my phones like newborn babies, but I'm not going to do that with the Pre (to an extent). I figure if it's going to break, I'm going to make sure it does it within 30 days. I'm not going to purposely baby the slider, I'm going to open and close it as I normally would. I'm also going to put it through heat tests using a heating pad. If it can withstand some time wrapped in a heating pad, no amount of heat is going to crack the plastic or cause the screen to bleed. I intend to make sure the Pre I get is durable, otherwise I guess I'll end up with a Tour
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Don't want to deter anyone from the pre my second one cracked from the home button up and am now on my third but I've had it science 6/11 and I absolutely love it. My wife went through 3 and finally gave up and went to at&t for a you know what but the pre is worth the trouble of a few exchanges if you happen to be one of the unlucky ones as long as they keep exchanging them you will eventually get a good one its like relationships.
    To the OP, I'm in the same boat as you right now where I'm trying to be diligent and conscientious in my research, and I definitely agree with those who have said that we're only getting a small portion of the overall data and it's skewed. I've decided to take the mentality that I'm not going to let what I read scare me too much. I am still very much interested in the Pre and am currently saving it to get it, some accessories, and the insurance (FOR SURE).

I'm remaining mindful of the issues, especially those that seem to be most prevalent, but I'm biding time and hoping that Palm does something about the bigger issues. That's all that we can do as consumers. I usually don't by anything first generation, but I don't want to wait for what could turn out to be a whole year for a 2nd generation Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by glomgold View Post
    LOL. Very true.

This is also very true, but I already knew I should take the poll with a grain of salt. I'm definitely going to get a Pre this weekend, if not just for a 30-day trial. I normally treat my phones like newborn babies, but I'm not going to do that with the Pre (to an extent). I figure if it's going to break, I'm going to make sure it does it within 30 days. I'm not going to purposely baby the slider, I'm going to open and close it as I normally would. I'm also going to put it through heat tests using a heating pad. If it can withstand some time wrapped in a heating pad, no amount of heat is going to crack the plastic or cause the screen to bleed. I intend to make sure the Pre I get is durable, otherwise I guess I'll end up with a Tour
    LOL, you can't be serious. If you are, the best test would be to slowly roast it over a fire. If it survives that, you'll be set.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast