Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    LOL, you can't be serious. If you are, the best test would be to slowly roast it over a fire. If it survives that, you'll be set.
    LOL, oh I'm serious. I figure if it doesn't crack or mess up the screen in an hour or so wrapped in a heating pad, it'll be good to go. I live in Arizona, so the inside of my car is 120+ degrees in the Summer. If heat is gonna do anything to mess up the phone, I want to know sooner than later.
    Quote Originally Posted by glomgold View Post
    LOL, oh I'm serious. I figure if it doesn't crack or mess up the screen in an hour or so wrapped in a heating pad, it'll be good to go. I live in Arizona, so the inside of my car is 120+ degrees in the Summer. If heat is gonna do anything to mess up the phone, I want to know sooner than later.
    Yeah but wouldn't you be contributing to the issue anyway? Heating up the plastic like that can't be good for it. What if your actions caused an otherwise perfect phone to crack or develop other issues later?
    My phone has reasonable wiggle room for the slider, slight color discoloration in the top left of the screen, and a minor .5 cm crack from the USB port (that I didn't even contribute to). I have dropped my phone twice. Once from a 6-7 foot lifeguard stand and once when I got out of the car with it in my lap. It got a minor scruff on the top of the phone.

I haven't had any other problems with the phone, but if I get a major crack then I will be visiting my local Sprint store. None the less Palm will be hearing a mouthful.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    If I saw this post two weeks ago I would've been one to say my Pre has been perfect but the truth is it has developed a crack on the bottom left of the slider. I contact Palm and its been a nightmare to get a replacement. But that's another issue. I have a hunch that the seidio case I use could have caused this issue by being too hard around the bottom portion of the phone (in their attempt to hold it tight enough). But there's really no way to prove that one. I hope for better luck on the next one. For me the functionaility and potential of the device far outweighs any hardware issues because I have tried a blackberry and hated it.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    Yeah but wouldn't you be contributing to the issue anyway? Heating up the plastic like that can't be good for it. What if your actions caused an otherwise perfect phone to crack or develop other issues later?
    I'm not putting the Pre under an insane amount of heat or anything. It's not as though I'm putting it in my toaster oven at 400 degrees. The amount of heat I'm subjecting my Pre to is no more than it will see in real world conditions. I measured the temperature of my heating pad on its lowest setting and it's ~102 degrees. I can almost guarantee the Pre can and will get hotter than that in my car. If the Pre is going to crack under those conditions in an hour (maybe two), I can assume the AZ sun would have eventually caused the same result over time. I guarantee I could wrap any phone I've ever owned (including the iPhone I currently have and hate) in my heating pad, put it on high and leave it in there over night and it wouldn't break it. So if this test breaks my Pre, I can safely assume the Pre simply isn't a well made device.

I don't know about the rest of you here, but $200 (+2 year plan +accessories) is a LOT of money to me. I don't think it's unreasonable for any of us to expect a cell phone to last through our 2 year contracts, especially for those of us who handle the devices with care.

I used to own a Gameboy Advance when I was younger (the first version, not the SP). The first gen GBA didn't have a back-lit screen, but an individual came up with something called an Afterburner Kit you could purchase and install that lit up the screen. While installing an AB Kit, there was a thin transparent film (like a screen protector) that you had to install on the LCD. It only came with one, so you had one chance to put this sucker on with no bubbles, dust or fingerprints underneath it. I had one of these installed by mailing it to a professional, and it came back with a bubble under the screen. I read that wrapping the GBA in a heating pad overnight might get rid of the bubble, so I put my GBA in my heating pad, turned it on high, and left it in there for 10 hours. It didn't get rid of the bubble, but the GBA still works to this day (my niece owns it now).

I'm sure that if I run this test on my Pre and it ends up breaking it, all I did was accelerate the result, not cause it.
    Last edited by glomgold; 08/12/2009 at 06:59 PM.
    I have my original Pre that I purchased on launch day. I have never had any significant issues with "the oreo" effect. The screen does have slight light "leakage" in a few spots, but it is minimal and I have been able to live with it.
    2 days ago I picked up my phone, and out of nowhere the screen has begun to crack from the bottom of the charge port up towards the screen.
    I have never dropped my phone, and always keep it in thepalm leather holster...so it is always well prtected.
    When I went into my local sprint store I was surprised that they did not even ask to inspect the pre...they simply said they would order a replacement right away...which leads me to think this may be a common occurrence they are seeing...or maybe the rep just wanted to do the quickest thing...who knows.
    I will say I have never felt like I needed to be more careful with a device in order to keep it from breaking. In my personal opinion the phone is on the weak end of durability.
    I think Palm hit it out of the park with WebOS....but it ended up being a ground rule double because of the build quality of the hardware.
    FWIW...
    I had my Pre for a total of 20 days purchased on June 26th. The screen cracked and I was no longer able to have any touchscreen functionality. I took it into Sprint for replacement and they said I had to file an insurance claim. I did and after a week I received a new one; after being assured that I would receive it over night. Anyway, the new Pre seems to be fine and it doesn't turn off after being closed like my old one did so hopefully it works out better. NJot happy about having to pay $100 for a replacement after I bought two originally.
    Yeah I have been pretty rowdy with mine since launch and have not sctrached the screen or oreoed. My only issue might be software related.
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    My Pre screen did crack after about a month. It was definitely a pressure point crack where I used my thumb in the middle of screen to open (as instructed). HOWEVER, this occurred the night after I had forgotten my Pre in the car on a dashboard mount when the outside temp was about 95 deg. I believe the extreme heat was a factor. I have now had my second Pre for about 1.5 months with no cracking. I also subconsciously changed my open method to the bottom lip of the top slider
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I have had mine since launch day also. At first I carried it in my front pocket, but now I use the Palm case on my belt. I have not had any issues at all other than the loose battery problem.
    I have had my palm pre since launch day. The first problem I had with it was the "c" on the keyboard wouldn't work most of the time. On August 4th it started cracking in the bottom right of the top slider where my thumb goes to slide it open, and now it is wobbly it doesn't affect my ability to see the screen or place or receive phone calls. Oh BTW I bought the $40.00 leather case to keep it in, so it is protected. BUT all in all I LOVE MY PRE, I just hope Sprint replaces it instead of making me use my insurance.
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    This phone is the best thing I've ever seen. It is my second one, but I really don't care. I'll keep exchanging this if necessary until the perfect build is made. Btw, I don't have a screen cracking issue. And, you need more than two weeks to really understand the power of this device. To be honest, I didn't like the Pre near as much as I do now after two weeks of owning it. I believe if all those people who returned theirs in that time are missing out and should have waited a little longer.

Soup.
    its second to boobs on my list. but seriously its super duper AWESOME!!!!

Salad
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12