Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I knew it was only a matter of time. The end of the little tab covering the USB port broke off last night, and now it comes out completely whenever I open the port. It's only a matter of time before it gets lost.

Is the door tab important? I've used Palms for years with exposed power ports -- my Moto GSM phone has one (mini USB) exposed too, as does my Kindle (micro). Is it horrible if the port stays uncovered? Is anyone selling a replacement yet?
    Palm Pilot --> Palm M130 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 650 --> Palm Centro --> PALM PRE!
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    well..it'll probably just get a little dusty
    The Treo 800w micro usb port didn't have a cover either, so I'm sure you're fine.

I've actually been thinking of breaking mine off intentionally because it's so annoying to pull the cover every time.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    If it ever stops working just get a can of compressed air and hit the port with a blast of air. I would have preferred a flush open connection...I am keeping my cover on for the flush feeling. Don't like the recessed feeling where my thumb sits.
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
    I'm worried about the gap that's formed between the two halves of the phone whenever I slide my fingernail between the halves in order to dig the usb door out. Each time icreate a gap and I'm worried that might eventually contribute to a loosening of the mechanism that holds the two halves of the phone together.

I'll probably pull the door off.

I'm curious: those of you without long fingernails, how do you get that cover off?
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    I'm afraid of this happening, so I'm trying to avoid having to use that port if I can. I'm totally OCD, too, so pulling that little tab off would bug me. My husband keeps a touchstone at his office, so I'm thinking about doing the same.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnL_ View Post
    I knew it was only a matter of time. The end of the little tab covering the USB port broke off last night, and now it comes out completely whenever I open the port. It's only a matter of time before it gets lost.
    If I didn't have a touchstone that tab would have been ripped off day 1. Infact, it was difficult for me to resist tearing it off while I was waiting for my touchstone! I had a palm pro without the tab and it did just fine and I never had to clean it out.

Quote Originally Posted by nreeldeep View Post
    I'm worried about the gap that's formed between the two halves of the phone whenever I slide my fingernail between the halves in order to dig the usb door out.
    If you insist on keeping the tab (which I do for aesthetic reasons only), then open the slider before you take the tab our. It's much easier.
    thanks so much for that timely tip! i hadn't thought of sliding the phone open in order to salvage my door cuz i was about to yank it! thanks again!
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Well unfortunately I used to slide the slider open in order to open up the tab, but it still became loose and would come completely off eventually getting lost! Its been off for like 2 weeks now and I have seen no problems, and in fact have grown to like the fact that at work (usb charger) i dont have to fiddle with it when I leave my desk runing back n forth! At home I use a touchstone so its no issues there. My only gripe is aesthetics just like siogeek said, but I have since then purchased a rocketfish skin protector and now it looks like its meant to be open..
    Ripping the door off was the first "mod" I made on my Pre(s).
    When using the slider first opening method be careful. There is a thin piece of plastic that lines the bottom ofthe port. A strong and clumsy fingernail will easily rip it off.
  12. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts

I'm curious: those of you without long fingernails, how do you get that cover off?
    I cut my nails all the way down so I usually open the slider and get it from there.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    if you rip the door off the arm, isn't the arm still inside the phone? does it get lost in the phone and rattle around? Or did you somehow rip the arm out as well?
    I was worried about the tab coming off the first day I used the phone. On the second day I accidentally pulled too hard and the whole tab came off (arm and all). It slid back in easy enough, now I am just more careful when I open the port for charging, etc...
    I'm worried about the gap that's formed between the two halves of the phone whenever I slide my fingernail between the halves in order to dig the usb door out. Each time icreate a gap and I'm worried that might eventually contribute to a loosening of the mechanism that holds the two halves of the phone together.

Slide open the keyboard first, then open the USB door. No new gap, no need for long fingernails, and no worry about loosening the mechanism.

However, you will feel silly for not thinking of it sooner. I know I did (a week after I got my Pre...).
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    My door came off last night too. I haven't lost it....yet! I would prefer to get a replacement. I just don't like the look of that open space. I'll have to see if Sprint of Palm has a replacement door.

UPDATE: There are not replacement doors to be had per Sprint. It's considered physical damage to the phone. Pffft!
    Last edited by Tricia; 08/12/2009 at 04:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Slide open the keyboard first, then open the USB door. No new gap, no need for long fingernails, and no worry about loosening the mechanism.

However, you will feel silly for not thinking of it sooner. I know I did (a week after I got my Pre...).
    When I finally had the epiphany about opening the slider, I did feel silly.... But I also thought that maybe the word needed to be spread. It's a nice, simple answer to the problem.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts

I bite my nails all the time, so mine are really short. In order to get to the door, I slide the Pre open. That way I can just use my fingertip to get under the door and get it off. I really think the construction of that door is my biggest/only hardware beef with this phone. It just seems so cheap, hanging there on a tiny piece of plastic.
    Well my micro usb door came off today and was immediately lost. I thought this defective design point would last a couple of weeks when I received this phone on release day. I am surprised it lasted this long. Although I don't like the uncovered appearance of the port unless their is an alternate design I can't justify spending money to replace it.

just hold your Pre like you are going to slid it open and hold the two halves firmly while you open the port.

of course I am left handed so that helps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast