1.    #1  
    Alright backstory...
    Palm called me awhile ago for a survery and I told them I was at work to call back, they never did. Now on Saturday, I get a phone call from Palm saying that when they sent out some of the PREs, they had matching serial numbers and mine is one of them. She then said that they will be sending me a new Pre and when I send mine back they will send me a Touchstone charger for the inconvenience...Smells like BS....i was waiting for her to ask me my credit card info, etc.(which she didnt)...i gave her my mailing address and we checked that the number for the PRE was the one they had duplicated and it was...Nonetheless today I got a box with a brand new PRE in it(atleast it looks new, how can i tell if its refurbed?)also it has a shipping label to send my PRE back...so now my questions:
    1) has this happened to anyone else?
    2) Do i have to switch my phone? At the beginning I was having problems with the Palm Profile being logged off and having to reboot almost every other day, but for last 3weeks hasn't happened, also I only have one dead pixel and sum scratches but nothing else, what are the odds that my "new PRE" has a problem and then i have to send it back all over again...?
    3) i already have a touchstone charger, do you think I can get something else?
    4) Any advice or recommendations would be great....
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    you can check if it's a refurb by dialing ##786# in the dialer app i think
    could send me the touchstone

thats cool though. strange, but cool. i undertsand why your concerned. i wouldnt know what to think either.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Interesting story...
  5.    #5  
    the letter says to call them when i get the phone to go through activation and saving of contacts,pics,etc..im at work and can't do that yet..it also said not to turn it on thus not knowing if i can try that till after i guess...
    i would send u the touch BUT im thinkin bout keepin it, or resellin n gettin sum money, sorry.....it just seems like an offer to good to bed true, but possibly could happen because of some sort of error...
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    i'll buy it off you if you'll resell it
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    That's interesting. Just curious, did you buy your phone on the first day (release date)?
  8.    #8  
    cant u just go to the store and buy it? im just gonna go to a sprint store and "return it" get a 50buck credit...
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Some other guys in the forum have been contacted by Palm for the serial number issue. It's legit.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalianStallion View Post
    Alright backstory...
    Palm called me awhile ago for a survery and I told them I was at work to call back, they never did. Now on Saturday, I get a phone call from Palm saying that when they sent out some of the PREs, they had matching serial numbers and mine is one of them. She then said that they will be sending me a new Pre and when I send mine back they will send me a Touchstone charger for the inconvenience...Smells like BS....i was waiting for her to ask me my credit card info, etc.(which she didnt)...i gave her my mailing address and we checked that the number for the PRE was the one they had duplicated and it was...Nonetheless today I got a box with a brand new PRE in it(atleast it looks new, how can i tell if its refurbed?)also it has a shipping label to send my PRE back...so now my questions:
    1) has this happened to anyone else?
    2) Do i have to switch my phone? At the beginning I was having problems with the Palm Profile being logged off and having to reboot almost every other day, but for last 3weeks hasn't happened, also I only have one dead pixel and sum scratches but nothing else, what are the odds that my "new PRE" has a problem and then i have to send it back all over again...?
    3) i already have a touchstone charger, do you think I can get something else?
    4) Any advice or recommendations would be great....
    Questions 2, 3, should have been directed at the lady when you were giving her your mailing address seems to me>
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaki View Post
    That's interesting. Just curious, did you buy your phone on the first day (release date)?
    yup i was lucky to get it on the release date...

the serial number was the duplicate number ur right, now the thing is what are my options, im assuming that if for some reason the new phone is sumwat a bust(dead pixels,etc...)i can call em directly and return it rather than talk to a sprint person...also for what its worth, this new pre has the black pouch with the palm logo imprinted,where as my old one does not...so im assuming its not one of the 1st launch ones, thus maybe making it not prone to the issues some people had with the first bunch
    Man you one lucky guy. Wish they would send em another one.

As far as the box color and build issues....ITS BS...all are pretty much the same so check it out and see how it feels, ive seen both and neither boxed phone was different.

X <-- crossing my fingers to see if i get one!
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Y dont you call them and ask them what would happen in case there are problems with the phone; better yet stay on the line through the initial test and inspection and if there are any issues ask them to send you a new, better quality, pre.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    I would double check the usage history and build date (##786#) to see if it might be a refurb. If it isn't, I would take it and then just sell, return, or keep the Touchstone.

I'm guessing since you are now marked as "special" with Palm, they would take care of you in future if this phone turns out to have any build issues. And/or if you can save any written record of this, your Sprint store wouldn't give you a hard time if you had manufacturing-related issues.

Of course, none of us can say for sure that Palm will take care of you--that's just my opinion/guess.

Good luck.