Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    So, I'm sure you've heard of the new iPhone app that will let you deposit a check with your cell phone. The bank is USAA bank, and I have quite a few friends out there that work out there. One of my friends posted the link about the new iPhone app (he's an iPhone person) and of course I have to chime in with the inevitable "Cool! Now where's the Palm Pre app?" snark. Another one of his friends who works in the web development area out at USAA replied to my posting with a simple "Patience".

So, I assume that they're looking to bring this app to the Pre too!

Ok, so there's my rumor mill. Discuss amongst yourselves.
    I don't get it?

Are they payroll check? Don't most people have direct deposit nowadays?
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcigary View Post
    So, I'm sure you've heard of the new iPhone app that will let you deposit a check with your cell phone. The bank is USAA bank, and I have quite a few friends out there that work out there. One of my friends posted the link about the new iPhone app (he's an iPhone person) and of course I have to chime in with the inevitable "Cool! Now where's the Palm Pre app?" snark. Another one of his friends who works in the web development area out at USAA replied to my posting with a simple "Patience".

So, I assume that they're looking to bring this app to the Pre too!

Ok, so there's my rumor mill. Discuss amongst yourselves.

Somebody supposedly already contacted USAA about this and they are currently working on a app for the Pre. I'm stoked about this since I am a USAA member. Can't wait!
    Qualcomm QCP 2700 -> ... Palm m125 ... -> Instinct -> Palm Pre

I tweet a lot about the Pre! @bshedwick
    My wife scans checks to deposit in the bank. Same system, just different capture method.

Don't mean to be pessimistic, but the same limitations regarding macro focusing on the Pre that eliminate bar code reader feasibility would eliminate this. You would need a good quality image of the check and the Pre can't give that without an add on lens. Maybe they can get enough data for it.

Edit: After taking some test photos, it might be possible. There is a big size difference between Check and Bar Codes sizes.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 08/11/2009 at 09:38 AM.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Without macro focus it would be very hard to accomplish this reliably on the Pre. Sure it can be done but I don't think it would be reliable enough to be viable. Its also a very cool feature and something I doubt we will ever see.

We do something similar with our bank and it is very helpful.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I don't get it?

Are they payroll check? Don't most people have direct deposit nowadays?
    I still get the odd check by mail.

USAA has been accepting checks by scanning them in for a couple of years now.

Using a camera instead to capture the image of the checks isn't that much different.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Without macro focus it would be very hard to accomplish this reliably on the Pre. Sure it can be done but I don't think it would be reliable enough to be viable. Its also a very cool feature and something I doubt we will ever see.

We do something similar with our bank and it is very helpful.
    Just for grins, I took a picture of a document from about 4 inches away (I don't carry checks...). I blocked out an area about the size of a check, and got close enough that the area filled the landscape screen. The text all came out in focuse, and was legible. I wouldn't call it a quality shot, but it's as good as the scanned images I've seen from banks.

Probably not an app I would ever use, but it does look doable.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Just for grins, I took a picture of a document from about 4 inches away (I don't carry checks...). I blocked out an area about the size of a check, and got close enough that the area filled the landscape screen. The text all came out in focuse, and was legible. I wouldn't call it a quality shot, but it's as good as the scanned images I've seen from banks.

Probably not an app I would ever use, but it does look doable.
    The question is can the MICR codes be machine readable. Most handwritten checks have to be human-sorted anyways so the Routing and Account numbers are the only key point.