Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What gives? I went from 100% to 40% on a 20 minute phone call on the way to work this morning. That doesn't seem right.
    Quote Originally Posted by lldsandsll View Post
    What gives? I went from 100% to 40% on a 20 minute phone call on the way to work this morning. That doesn't seem right.
    Is it a new Battery?? I spoke on the phone for 1 hr and 17 min yesterday and my battery went from 90% to 50 % The only thing i would think it could be is that you have a new battery maybe? Were you running anything else while you were on the phone?
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    what is your signal? I think the pre is very signal sensitive. I live in houston and have a great signal everywhere I go. The other day I took it off at 7am and used it for about 1hour of talk, gmail pushes instantly, and listened to pandora for about 45 minutes. At the end of the day I had 70% left? My wife and I have had nothing but great battery life. I think the majority of people with bad battery life have a bad (weak) signal.
    I don't lose half the battery when I actually use the phone!!

BUT, I installed some Homebrew apps last night and finished around midnight, of course the phone was plugged in and 'just charging'.
    The battery was capped off before I want to bed so I didn't plug it into the wall outlet- woke up this morning and I have 47% battery???

The phone was not in use from 12pm until I woke up at 7:30am
    All email set to Manual, no apps were running, exited Dev Mode, Wi-fi connected but not used, no texts…ect

Now, unless I was talking on the phone in my sleep for those six and a half hours I just don’t get it!
    Where is the battery go? Same Pre since release- same battery.

So,
    In Dev Mode, does the phone really charge? The battery indicator was 100% and Green.
    Has anyone experienced battery drain from some of the newer homebrew apps?

(Just to avoid it- yes, I did check my Call Log, and I wasn't 'sleep dialing'!)
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Battery usage has been so random for me. I am constantly restricting my pre usage in order to ensure I make it to 8pm, but on days I have tons of work to do I get the 10% warning before 4PM.

Hopefully the next updates can make the phone more battery efficient because on road trips a 3hr drive w/GPS and the Pre plugged in still leaves me with 60% when i get to my destination. (BTW. We have 2 Pre's with similar results so it's not a defective phone)
    I have been testing my battery for two days and my last test last night showed the battery drains very fast. mY phone is not activated and had it in standby with 20% battery last night and my phone is dead this morning. that's a fast drain when no evdo is connected. this was from 12 to 8am
    Generally I can make it about half the day before I need to think about recharge. Text a few times, maybe 4-5 calls (total 40 mins) check weather and twitter. So, I purchased 2 additional 1150mah batteries and charger for them (so they can charge out of the phone). Also ordered 3 data cables. Can keep one in both vehicles to use away from home on a computer to charge if need be. And one to stay at work. Already have cig cord with touchstone in truck and AC/touchstone on night stand.
    I would go with the bigger battery but I don't want to give up the touchstone. As far as signal here at home. I am in a hole with the worst signal. If that has something to do with it - don't know.
  8.    #8  
    nothing out of the ordinary other then the fact that my battery died fast. its not new, and it was during my usual drive.
    I talk for long hours on my phone and I never saw my PRE battery going down that fast.
    Most of the time it depends on what all other applications you are running in background and SIGNAL strength. When your phone have a low signal, it automatically looks for more cell towers by providing more power to the antenna. Through which you might loose the battery charge soon.
    I don't think I've ever seen it drop that fast... Did you have bluetooth and wifi on at the same time and were browsing or something?

That seems really excessive but not impossible with a defective device. Others have complained about quick drains and heat.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Welcome to the Palm Pre!
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtrose View Post
    Welcome to the Palm Pre!
    Took the words rigth out of my mouth...

I have battery drainage issues also and i wouldnt contribute it to apps because i always closes apps and keep wifi and never use bluetooth so its definitely the phone ... mines isnt severe as yours but it probably would have gotten to 60%
  13.    #13  
    normally this never happens. it just happened out of the blue today. this is my forth pre, but ive had this one for a few weeks now. wifi is on, as always. no bluetooth. signal is fine (i was talking on it lol).

i just dont know. i think the battery's memory might be off. i did have that bug where it glitched and the battery went from 5% to 35% for absolutely no reason, but that was awhile back, and it seemed to bounce back from that on an overnight charge.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    sounds like a glitch...so much for homebrewing lol
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I tested the battery life with leaving many or no apps open, wifi and bluetooth.... Basically apps don't matter at all from my tests, the phone drains the same with or without them open (it's just so signal/network hungry). As for bluetooth, I couldn't really notice that much of a difference if they were left on, the phone was dying before bedtime every day. So I just bought the Seidio 2600mAh battery and, despite the thickness, I have been COMPLETELY satisfied. I can now use the phone as it was intended. I leave many apps open and can use the shi* out of it and by the end of the day I still have 50% left. It's great and only looks big, honestly. I put it next to a stock Pre and the thickness difference was about 4mm.

Definately recommend the extended battery from Seidio. I bought this phone to USE, and the 1150mAh battery it came with was a ridiculous joke.

http://store.precentral.net/seidio-i.../8A37A5770.htm
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtrose View Post
    Welcome to the Palm Pre!

What in God's name are you guys doing....using it to jump start a HumVee?

Still on the same battery. It's off and on a Touchstone at work all day. I take it off with 100% around 6p. I use it with Pandora for an hour on the way home. I return phone calls and send/receive emails once I'm home. It's on EAS with my work mail so it's always grabbing email 24/7. By the time I wake up (6-ish) I still have 35-40 percent. I throw it on the T'stone at home...work out...and an hour later it's at 100%.

It's just not that tough.

It's a "day 1" unit.

BJ
    Yesterday when I was using the Sprint Navigation and had blue tooth running, I had it plugged into my car charger and noticed that the charger was barely keeping up with it. After talking on the phone for a few minutes I checked the battery level and discovered it has actually dropped a percent while talking on the phone. I guess running those three apps at the same time really does eat up the battery faster than the charger can do it's job.
    yeah, im so sick of this battery life, love the phone, but the battery life sucks
    Batter life is my only major complaint, love the phone otherwise. Power management is TRULY HIDEOUS! I cant wholeheartedly recommend this phone to anyone (personally or professionally as an IT Director) when watching a few youtube videos or IMing/emailing and listening to music during my morning subway commute significantly drains the battery (+20%). I'm sorry to say but as soon as Apple or any other handset maker gets wind of this Achilles Heal, the Pre may be doomed unless they can fix this with a firmware patch or battery recall.

Reminds me of what happened with HTCs Kasier (video driver issues)...I say we start a formal protest site!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveborough View Post
    Batter life is my only major complaint, love the phone otherwise. Power management is TRULY HIDEOUS! I cant wholeheartedly recommend this phone to anyone (personally or professionally as an IT Director) when watching a few youtube videos or IMing/emailing and listening to music during my morning subway commute significantly drains the battery (+20%). I'm sorry to say but as soon as Apple or any other handset maker gets wind of this Achilles Heal, the Pre may be doomed unless they can fix this with a firmware patch or battery recall.
    How could they not already have gotten wind of it? It's not like it's a secret at this point. In fact, it's one of the first and most prevalent issues I read about in my first few days of doing Pre research.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast