1.    #1  
    i finally got everything working right on my vista laptop and i been using novaterm for root access on my pre but i have not been able to sucessfully copy and paste in the command window. any ideas or suggestions? i tried right click > paste and i tried CTRL-V , no luck with either....
    same problem here. putty keeps timing out
    I've read several places that cut/paste is broken in the current version of novaterm, which is still in alpha.

I had some startup problems using putty, but eventually figured it out. You need to know your Pre's IP address, and tell putty to use that, at port 222.

My problem was following the advice I read - to use a website (forgot the name) to report the IP address back. Unfortunately, my Pre was using WiFi through my router, sp the IP address reported back from that site was the external IP address of the router. Of course.

I initially got the proper IP address by looking at the DHCP table on my router to figure out what it had assigned my Pre, but then found an app call MyIP in the homebrew section here that tells you all the current IP addresses your Pre is using (WiFi, EVDO). With that, I can reliably connect using putty.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    I've read several places that cut/paste is broken in the current version of novaterm, which is still in alpha.

I had some startup problems using putty, but eventually figured it out. You need to know your Pre's IP address, and tell putty to use that, at port 222.

My problem was following the advice I read - to use a website (forgot the name) to report the IP address back. Unfortunately, my Pre was using WiFi through my router, sp the IP address reported back from that site was the external IP address of the router. Of course.

I initially got the proper IP address by looking at the DHCP table on my router to figure out what it had assigned my Pre, but then found an app call MyIP in the homebrew section here that tells you all the current IP addresses your Pre is using (WiFi, EVDO). With that, I can reliably connect using putty.
    What settings did you use on Putty? I can get my IP from the router, but haven't got it to connect yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by dacsoft View Post
    What settings did you use on Putty? I can get my IP from the router, but haven't got it to connect yet.
    I basically used the settings I found here:

Putty - WebOS Internals

The important settings (I think) are all under "Session" in the configuration dialog. IP address should be the IP address of your Pre, found from your router's DHCP table or some other way like the app in the homebrew section. (My stumbling block was using the wrong IP address - the external IP address of my router, as opposed to the LAN IP address of my Pre. I made that mistake by using a website on the far side of my router to report back what IP address I was coming from, and of course, it just saw the router and reported that address back.)

Port should be 222, NOT 22 which is the default.

Connection type should be SSH.

There are lots of other suggested settings given on that web page, but I *think* if you just cover the above you'll get connected. Most everything else is just tweaking the interface, etc.