Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. eji930's Avatar
    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
       #1  
    You know how Blackberry has a custom messaging app...wouldn't it be cool if the Palm Pre had its own Im client like blackberry devices?....I can't wait until they implement YIM that's the only one I use, I don't use Gtalk or AIM..
  2. ravenclaw67's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    #2  
    I'm waiting for yahoo messenger and synch as well........what is taking them so long?
  3. #3  
    I use Yahoo and MSN. Both aren't available which sucks big time. Hope they'll hurry!
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
  4. #4  
    why would i want a palm specific messaging app. i dont know anybody else with a pre...i liek gtalk as most people are on gmail...and theres always text. exclusive messaging apps are just bad in general i think
  5. bruba's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    #5  
    Waiting for MSN and possibly Skype in synergy. There are over 300 million MSN users, comon!
  6. #6  
    meebo.com is good for now
  7. chichi's Avatar
    Posts
    256 Posts
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    #7  
    have you gotten Meebo.com to work on your pre? Send and recieve? I tried it when i first got the pre but could only recieve and not send messages.. (goes to try again)
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart603 View Post
    why would i want a palm specific messaging app. i dont know anybody else with a pre...i liek gtalk as most people are on gmail...and theres always text. exclusive messaging apps are just bad in general i think
    I agree. I don't see the point. I prefer non-proprietary stuff. Instead of a totally different messaging protocol, we should all be rooting for further improvements and more integration of the Messaging app with existing messaging services (such as Yahoo IM).
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by bipoler View Post
    You know how Blackberry has a custom messaging app...wouldn't it be cool if the Palm Pre had its own Im client like blackberry devices?....I can't wait until they implement YIM that's the only one I use, I don't use Gtalk or AIM..
    Text messaging works fine for me. Blackberry messenger sucked because people would change phones to a non-blackberry and you couldn't message them anymore. I never had more than 2 people in my blackberry messenger at any time when I had my Pearl.
  10. Vivix's Avatar
    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    #10  
    meebo is working fine for me *shrug*
  11. #11  
    You can set up your own jabber server to connect to MSN, yahoo, icq, etc, and then set your Gtalk account to connect to it. I posted a howto for this here. Some of the commands are FreeBSD-specific, but you can do this on a linux server fairly easily too.

    Obviously native support would be better, but this works really well for now. Much better than having to use anything web-based, at least.
  12. #12  
    Since I've never used a Blackberry, I don't find anything wrong with the current Messaging. Was Blackberry significantly different, and how?
  13. chichi's Avatar
    Posts
    256 Posts
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivix View Post
    meebo is working fine for me *shrug*
    Oh wow! Meebo.com has been optimized for mobile now.. I have had my phone since launch and tried it a few time that first month and the site looked just as it did on my PC and wasnt fully functional. It now is working as if it is a mobile version of the site
  14. #14  
    We all might as well relax and get used to the pre being the way it is now, updates are taking forevre imo.
  15. #15  
    I use Meebo.com as well. It's a good replacement for the battery draining messaging app. I still would like the Homebrew community to edit the existing messenger app to support other clients. I understand Palm used a generic messaging client that normally supports the big four. However for the Pre, it's just AIM and Gtalk.
  16. #16  
    Yeah, I'm sure once they update it, we'll see alot of things we want. But that'll be forever =\. I'd love to be able to upload to myspace in additional too. Would be nice if Trillian Astra was on palm pre, but i know that won't happen for years probably, lol. All in one messenger and constantly updated.
  17. eji930's Avatar
    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
       #17  
    You guys speak as if people who own a Blackberry Device has ONLY have the option to use there messaging system..they have there own for the blackberryOS and the other standard ones we all use...the purpose of my post was how cool would it be to have not just a Pre messaging app but rather a new webOS app since they will be making new devices ON TOP of the YIM AIM GTALK etc's.....no one said you had to use the proprietary messaging app but it would be a nice OPTION and it adds to the exlcusitivity of the device IMO..just like Blackberries whether you USE IT or Not
    Last edited by bipoler; 08/11/2009 at 01:33 PM. Reason: .
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by richardhkirkando View Post
    You can set up your own jabber server to connect to MSN, yahoo, icq, etc, and then set your Gtalk account to connect to it. I posted a howto for this here. Some of the commands are FreeBSD-specific, but you can do this on a linux server fairly easily too.

    Obviously native support would be better, but this works really well for now. Much better than having to use anything web-based, at least.
    We've already gone over that on this forum, and all that was found was that google has closed that loophole.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by bipoler View Post
    You guys speak as if people who own a Blackberry Device has ONLY have the option to use there messaging system..they have there own for the blackberryOS and the other standard ones we all use...the purpose of my post was how cool would it be to have not just a Pre messaging app but rather a new webOS app since they will be making new devices ON TOP of the YIM AIM GTALK etc's.....no one said you had to use the proprietary messaging app but it would be a nice OPTION and it adds to the exlcusitivity of the device IMO..just like Blackberries whether you USE IT or Not
    With support for all the messengers on the Blackberry, I found it wasn't necissary to use BB Messenger.
  20. Zaki's Avatar
    Posts
    158 Posts
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    #20  
    meebo is the way to go! haha
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions