1.    #1  
    I like the pictures for the contacts I have but it imports everybody on my friend list. I only want this for my phone conctacts. Is there anyway around this?
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Well, you can remove them as friends from your Facebook.

Or try this:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-your-pre.html
    No. Its a limitation that makes zero sense because Palm implemented a half *** version of synergy. Hopefully we see some improvements in this area but don't hold your breath because there are bigger fish to fry right now.

The limitations and rigidity of the Google sync is equally idiotic. Especially when google supports syncing "my contacts" and not just "all" like the Pre uses.

Just doesn't make any sense but someone obviously thought it was the way to go.
    nKoan, nice call on the link. Thinking about that, I could see the value for some people in that method. But, speaking personally, too many people friend me after reading some of my published articles for that to be a practical solution. So like Aridon, at this point, Synergy to me (and I suspect many others) is a terrible blight on this phone, and one that really ought to be remedied in a future update if it is to be a useful feature.
    Why would you want to sync SOME of your facebook contacts?

1. Contacts don't take up a lot of valuable hard drive space.
    2. If they're important enough to be your facebook friend, then it would obviously be handy to have access to their contact info on your Pre.
    3. Whether you have 1 contact or 1,000 contacts like me, they're not bothering anybody in your phone. You don't have to look at them. You really don't know they're there. They just sit in your phone.
    4. If you're scrolling through your contact list to find someone, you're doing it wrong. That's why the phone has a keyboard... type in a few letters of their first or last name and the contact is displayed.
    5. I'm still not sure why this is such a big deal, but I understand that what's a big deal to one person might not be a big deal to another. Please enlighten me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    Why would you want to sync SOME of your facebook contacts?

1. Contacts don't take up a lot of valuable hard drive space.
    2. If they're important enough to be your facebook friend, then it would obviously be handy to have access to their contact info on your Pre.
    3. Whether you have 1 contact or 1,000 contacts like me, they're not bothering anybody in your phone. You don't have to look at them. You really don't know they're there. They just sit in your phone.
    4. If you're scrolling through your contact list to find someone, you're doing it wrong. That's why the phone has a keyboard... type in a few letters of their first or last name and the contact is displayed.
    5. I'm still not sure why this is such a big deal, but I understand that what's a big deal to one person might not be a big deal to another. Please enlighten me.

1. I realize that. Space isn't what concerns me, as I still have a good deal left, and as you correctly noted, it doesn't take up much.

2. This is utterly false. As I mentioned before, a good number of people find my writings in their specialty news site or publication of choice, and then friend me. I accept it because I don't put overly personal information on facebook. But I certainly don't need them in my contacts. Moreover, there are people who I've met once or twice that have friended me and who I'd feel rude declining, but who even if I were inclined to contact, don't post said information in their profile, essentially giving me an empty and useless contact.

3. But I do look at them. Sometimes I don't want to flip open the keyboard to search for contacts. And without the FB and GTalk sync, that isn't an issue, as I can see only those contacts that are important enough for me to have added them at all (since Sprint couldn't take the contacts from my Mogul, meaning I had to port them myself, and cut out the useless ones). This way, instead of have 50 people under the letter A, 47 of whom I'll likely never contact, I just have three names. To me, that matters, as it makes my contacts actually useful and quick to use.

4. Fair point, more or less. But as I said above, I'm not always so inclined. And I shouldn't need to be.

5. Well, if I've not made it clear already, its a big deal because it gives me hundreds of contacts I don't need, imports contacts I already have forcing me to go through and link dozens of profiles, includes whatever misinformation is on people's profiles, and can come up with many blank profiles for people more sensitive about their contact information privacy.

EDITED To ADD: It is also a big issue if you use a Google Voice app of any sort, as the generic typing to pull up a name brings the contact list, through which a regular dialer would launch. If you want to utilize your phone contacts with Google Voice, you have to launch the app first, which will then launch a contacts list for number grabbing. But if that list is five times longer because of Synergy having imported unneeded contacts, then it makes it more of a pain to use.
    Last edited by alwaysonline; 08/11/2009 at 10:40 AM.
    The inability to pick and choose FB contacts was an oversight, plain and simple. I've got an ungodly amount of people in my contact list now, mainly because I just don't really turn down any FB requests unless I truly can't pinpoint who the person is. A friend of a friend in my FB is fine with me -- that friend of a friend on my phone?? I should be able to delete him or anyone else. It makes me feel as if I'm not in control of my phone when I can't simply delete a contact.