1.    #1  
    im sorry for posting this is the wrong place it wouldnt let me make a thread in the homebrew apps section for some reason. anyway do i absolutly have to root to get homebrew apps on my pre ?
    No you don't there are only a very few apps that require rooting. Rooting really isn't that hard so once you have added some Home brew apps if you fell you want more give rooting a try.
    My device history. Casio A-10/Cassiopeia E-100/PPC6600/PPC6700/700wx/Moto Q/PPC6700/Mogul/Touch/Mogul/700wx/800w/Touch Pro/Touch Diamond/Palm Pre/Touch Pro
  3.    #3  
    okay im just scared im gona mess somthing up,
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    You don't have to root but do need to install WebOS QuickInstall first. It's very simple. Follow the directions here: http://www.precentral.net/how-to-install-homebrew-apps
    Homebrew are great apps. Most you don't need to root your pre
    is the bookmarking hack for media player available in homebrew apps or do i need to get root access to install it?
    thanks
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    homebre should not be a problem. And I'm not sure if you can even brick your pre that way. But you can get webos doctor. Homebrew, really easy. Rooting, still not tried it
    I choose not to root for warranty issues. I would wait because a good percent of what you see being modded has been submitted to palm...these things will be coming, or atleast the important ones. Check out palm.com and check the forums. Palm knows what we want
    I do not believe rooting (gaining access to the Linux (OS) is any kind of warranty issue. The phone is marketed as an open platform and PALM themselves have released the SDK for that very purpose.
    I wouldn't worry about your warranty. If you backup files you tweak, you can easily restore them. Also, you have webOS Doctor to restore your Pre to factory firmware.

Gaining Linux access ("rooting") is great. I tweaked my Pre to my liking, such as mute keytones, mute camera shutter, mute charging sound, enable timestamps on messages, etc.
    That charging sound and keypad noise alone may make me want to do it too. Really annoying. If palm doesn't step up I probable. Just a little scared to mess up my phone.
    i would not root.
    too much of a hassle have to redo a lot after every update
    but you can still get homebrew.
    rooting and most homebrew are two totally different things.
    go to the homebrew sections to find out more.
    you can also change your alert tone with an homebrew NRR(no rooting required)
    I've been trying to root my palm. But in the command section I keep getting root@qemux86:/# (left arrow sign)[Jt@qemux86:/# What's going on? What am I doing wrong? Can someone help me?
    Quote Originally Posted by lite blue View Post
    is the bookmarking hack for media player available in homebrew apps or do i need to get root access to install it?
    thanks
    The one bookmarking hack that I know of requires rooting.

Regards,
    Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    i would not root.
    too much of a hassle have to redo a lot after every update
    but you can still get homebrew.
    rooting and most homebrew are two totally different things.
    go to the homebrew sections to find out more.
    you can also change your alert tone with an homebrew NRR(no rooting required)
    To me, this is the biggest reason it's not worth rooting and messing with the system files. Updates have been pretty frequent and all your work disappears at each update.

Almost none of the homebrew apps require rooting, and they are well worth the minimal effort to get FileCoaster installed.

Rob