Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I bought my Pre on launch day, and I purchased the Best Buy Black Tie Protection.

I'm glad I did, because a week ago, my Pre just randomly died. I would not turn on at all. It didn't get wet, no battery issues. I left it charging (both via the USB port and the touchstone) for at leat 8 hours or so. No love when I got up in the morning.

Anyway, I took the phone back to Best Buy, and they could not figure it out either. So they took the phone. I go to keep the battery, the back door, and everything else. They are shipping back to Palm, and said I will get a call when a new one is available. They told me it would be a week or 2.

Now, I'm dying with out my Pre (I have my old Instinct, but going back to it made me realize how much it sucked).

So, has anyone else had to do the same thing? Outside of the 30 day return window?

How long did it take to get a new Pre? I'm not sure if I'm going to get a refurb, or a brand new one. Am I going to get the whole she-bang and get to keep my old stuff?
    Qualcomm QCP 2700 -> ... Palm m125 ... -> Instinct -> Palm Pre

I tweet a lot about the Pre! @bshedwick
    I didn't think stores were running low on them anymore?
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    They are. I was going to buy a phone on my way to Colby College and the 5 bestbuy stores closest to the college are all sold out.
    Around here in DC, I check every day the stock and at least one of the stores closest to me is sold out of Pres.
  4.    #4  
    No one has had to return to best buy outside of the 30 days?

Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I didn't think stores were running low on them anymore?
    They are. I went to Best Buy on Saturday to return the Blackberry Tour I got and pick up a Pre. The store I went to is the largest BB we have around, so I took my chances and went in without calling ahead of time to see if they had any in stock. When I got there, the manager told me I had gotten their last Pre. I asked if they sell pretty fast and he said he runs out of them faster than any other phone. I wonder if this is because of the low volume of Pre's being produced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms_Kady View Post
    They are. I went to Best Buy on Saturday to return the Blackberry Tour I got and pick up a Pre. The store I went to is the largest BB we have around, so I took my chances and went in without calling ahead of time to see if they had any in stock. When I got there, the manager told me I had gotten their last Pre. I asked if they sell pretty fast and he said he runs out of them faster than any other phone. I wonder if this is because of the low volume of Pre's being produced.
    You dumped the Tour for the Pre..........LOL!!! I did the exact opposite!!! LOL!!! I was first in line at my local Best Buy and got 1 of the 3 Pres they had on launch day. Returned the phone June 24. Purchased Tour July 19. The Pre is an awesome phone but coming from a Blackberry it was not a good match for me personally.

But I actually returned my Pre to Best Buy but obviously did not swap it out for another. They looked through the box to make sure everything was there and canceled my account as I actually decided not to switch to Sprint and stayed with Alltel/Verizon.
  7. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    I played with the Tour in store and though it was a ...blah phone. I am spoiled by touchscreens so that's always a big factor. But I was just not interested in the tour. Just nothing new.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    bjshedwick,
    I hope you tried removing the battery and putting it back in. My phone seemed to have died one time and none of the reset options worked except for removing/resetting the battery.
  9.    #9  
    Unfortunately, I tried the battery trick several times, but no luck. Even after having it charge all night long.

Just need my Pre back!!!!! The instinct that is my back up just will not cut it!

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bjshedwick View Post
    No one has had to return to best buy outside of the 30 days?
    My Pre is out for repair under the Black Tie Protection. I bought mine launch day from Best Buy and decided to go with the BTP. I'm glad I did. The screen went out on July 18, almost two weeks outside of the 30 day window.

I took the phone to Best Buy on July 19 and they packaged it up (without the back or battery) and sent it to the repair facility (not Palm) that they have a contract with. I was given a Service Order Request, but they could not give me a Target Completion Date at that time.

I called twice to get a Target Completion Date, finally getting one on August 3. The TCD given was August 18. I was told that if the phone had not returned to Best Buy by August 22, I would get a new Pre. Otherwise, it would be my original (hopefully fully repaired) Pre.

The lady at Best Buy also told me that they had issues with the company contracted to do the repairs and that Best Buy had terminated the contract.

Whatever the case, by the time I get a Pre back in my hands, I will have gone a month without it. The loaner phone, a Rumor 2, passes as a phone, but is seriously deficient in all other areas.

I'm pretty frustrated about being without my Pre for so long. I've been a Pre owner for 67 days, of which 25 have been without a working Pre.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    FYI, 7/19 was a Sunday, so my Pre would have shipped out on 7/20. It arrived at the repair facility on 7/22, so the thirty days begins once received at the facility and not when turned in to Best Buy.
  12.    #12  
    I hope I won't have to wait that long. I may call Best Buy today and see if I can get a eta on my new Pre.

@Lacerz74: Hope you get your Pre back soon

Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR_Rider View Post
    You dumped the Tour for the Pre..........LOL!!! I did the exact opposite!!! LOL!!! I was first in line at my local Best Buy and got 1 of the 3 Pres they had on launch day. Returned the phone June 24. Purchased Tour July 19. The Pre is an awesome phone but coming from a Blackberry it was not a good match for me personally.

But I actually returned my Pre to Best Buy but obviously did not swap it out for another. They looked through the box to make sure everything was there and canceled my account as I actually decided not to switch to Sprint and stayed with Alltel/Verizon.
    Yep! I was bummed because I was really excited about the Tour when I first got it. I had it for one week and within that week I had issues with the phone freezing and the trackball not being responsive. As far as functionality, it worked fine except for two major (to me) things: there was considerable lag when receiving work emails from our server. My coworkers had no issues on their phones. Second, for some reason, my work email rejected emails from my BB. I also did not like the loose battery case as it made the phone feel flimsy. I went on the crackberry forum for some possible fixes, but it seemed these were common issues. Some members were even on their 3rd and 4th Tours! I've had the Pre for a few days now and haven't had any issues whatsoever (knocks on wood). I suppose it's just luck of the draw!
    Yep! I was bummed because I was really excited about the Tour when I first got it. I had it for one week and within that week I had issues with the phone freezing and the trackball not being responsive. As far as functionality, it worked fine except for two major (to me) things: there was considerable lag when receiving work emails from our server. My coworkers had no issues on their phones. Second, for some reason, my work email rejected emails from my BB. I also did not like the loose battery case as it made the phone feel flimsy. I went on the crackberry forum for some possible fixes, but it seemed these were common issues. Some members were even on their 3rd and 4th Tours! I've had the Pre for a few days now and haven't had any issues whatsoever (knocks on wood). I suppose it's just luck of the draw!
    Makes sense.....it seems that all phones have their own issues. That's strange that you were having problems getting you emails, as they actually hit my phone before they hit my inbox. I haven't had any issues with freezing or my trackball so that is good. But the Pre is a great phone and I hope you enjoy it. I will keep an eye out on new developments and hopefully come back for the "Post" LOL!!!
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR_Rider View Post
    Makes sense.....it seems that all phones have their own issues. That's strange that you were having problems getting you emails, as they actually hit my phone before they hit my inbox. I haven't had any issues with freezing or my trackball so that is good. But the Pre is a great phone and I hope you enjoy it. I will keep an eye out on new developments and hopefully come back for the "Post" LOL!!!
    I have to say that I do miss the ability to customize ring tones and message tones like on the BB. This was also a negative when I had the iPhone. Also, the battery life on the Tour was pretty good. Are you with Sprint or Verizon? I had it through Verizon because I thought the signal would be better, but I actually have been getting more bars with my Pre than I did with the Tour! I really think it was just a bad unit.
    I returned my pre outside of the 30 day window, due to bad oreo effect. The rep swapped it out without a problem, they did have more than a few in stock though.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Sounds like I got screwed. I will be having words with my rep.
    I was considering to get Best Buy Black Tie Protection, but I was reading the Terms and conditions... I don't know if I am reading right but it says..."after this plan is redeemed once, the contract is fullfilled".. So if replaced once then I can't get it replaced again during the two yr coverage? Also it states.."...we will replace it with a product of like kind and quality that is of comparable performance or reimburse you for replacement of the product with a voucher or gift card, at our discretion, equal to the fair market value of the product, as determined by us, not to exceed the original purchase price of your product, including taxes." I bought the pre for $200.00 and later they refunded me the $100 when they had that glitch... does that mean later on if they don't sell the pre anymore or don't have any instock I will only get $100? Technically its only $200 with a two yr contract, outside of contract its like $750.00 so I can't purchase another one for $100.00. If this is the case I don't think I am getting this insurance plan.
    I have to say that I do miss the ability to customize ring tones and message tones like on the BB. This was also a negative when I had the iPhone. Also, the battery life on the Tour was pretty good. Are you with Sprint or Verizon? I had it through Verizon because I thought the signal would be better, but I actually have been getting more bars with my Pre than I did with the Tour! I really think it was just a bad unit.
    That's what it sounds like to me as well...that you had a bad unit that is....I am with Verizon and I have a great signal although I must say that Sprint's service in my area was good too. What part of California are you in? Have you checked the coverage map for your area on Verizon's website? I have used my Curve in LA and not had any issues with a signal. Have not been back sense I go the Tour though....

But to the original poster, I would just say keep on top of Best Buy because at the end of the day, nobody wants you to get your phone back more than you do......I would recommend that you add Sprint insurance to your plan if it is not too late because it seems to offer better coverage.
  20.    #20  
    So I got on the phone with Best Buy last night. The guy told me that Palm had just acknowledged receipt of my phone on Monday. He told me that if I don't receive a call in a week from yesterday to call back again. Hopefully I will just get a replacement phone.

I'm getting very anxious, because my old Instinct just isn't cutting it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast