Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms_Kady View Post
    I have to say that I do miss the ability to customize ring tones and message tones like on the BB. This was also a negative when I had the iPhone
    You can put your own mp3 based ringtones on the Pre. Just plug the phone into your computer and put it in Media Syncing mode. Drop your mp3 ringtones into the ringtone folder and you're set!

Also, there's a nice homebrew app available called My Notifications for changing notification sounds. Only thing I don't like about it is the fact that you can't change the general notification and text message notification sounds independently.

I would agree that some things are locked down in similar fasion to the iPhone out of the box. But IMHO fixes for these deficiencies are being released much faster than they were for the iPhone.

Anyway, back on topic. I purchased my Pre late last month at Best Buy and got the Black Tie Protection. I'm honestly not too worried about having to wait for a replacement if the need comes because I have a perfectly fine Touch Diamond to switch to if need be. However, I too wouldn't be pleased with the wait some of you are having to go through. I'd say after a couple of weeks I'd be pounding my fists for a replacement. Especially considering the fact that the employees at my Best Buy told me they would just replace in the store if possible.
    Last edited by alan7467; 08/12/2009 at 10:37 AM.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by alan7467 View Post
    if possible.
    Key words in that post for sure. Possible is very interesting... Maybe its just me being obsessive.

I WANT MY PRE BACK!!!
    Qualcomm QCP 2700 -> ... Palm m125 ... -> Instinct -> Palm Pre

I tweet a lot about the Pre! @bshedwick
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    You can put your own mp3 based ringtones on the Pre. Just plug the phone into your computer and put it in Media Syncing mode. Drop your mp3 ringtones into the ringtone folder and you're set!

Also, there's a nice homebrew app available called My Notifications for changing notification sounds. Only thing I don't like about it is the fact that you can't change the general notification and text message notification sounds independently.

I would agree that some things are locked down in similar fasion to the iPhone out of the box. But IMHO fixes for these deficiencies are being released much faster than they were for the iPhone.
    Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely keep those in mind. I haven't had my Pre for even a week yet, so I kinda want to familiarize myself with it in "stock" form before making any modifications.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    When I initially took my Pre into Best Buy, I thought I was goinig to get a new one on the spot. The BB Mobile rep pulled out a new Pre and said she'd just make the swap. Then she looked at my receipt and noticed I was outside the 30 day window. That's when she said she'd have to send it out under the Black Tie Protection plan.

I just called BBM and was told that my Pre is still listed as out for repair. It was received by the repair facility on 7/22 and on 8/03 I was given a Target Completion Date of 8/18. The BBM rep said that if the phone had not been returned by 8/22, I would get a new Pre. I asked if there was any way for me to get a new Pre prior to that and she said it was BBM's policy not to do that without release from the repair facility or 30 days passing from the date the repair facility recceived the phone.
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    these time frames are crazy!!!, Sprints TEP would have it in 1-2 business days. I would not go to Best Buy to purchase a phone. They might offer instant rebates but look at how long you have to go without a phone just to get it replaced.
    Quote Originally Posted by NxTech3 View Post
    these time frames are crazy!!!, Sprints TEP would have it in 1-2 business days. I would not go to Best Buy to purchase a phone. They might offer instant rebates but look at how long you have to go without a phone just to get it replaced.
    These replacement times do suck it big time. Makes me consider cancelling my black tie coverage and going with Sprint TEP instead, though I wouldn't be too jazzed about paying the $100 deductable.
  7.    #27  
    These replacement times do suck it big time. Makes me consider cancelling my black tie coverage and going with Sprint TEP instead, though I wouldn't be too jazzed about paying the $100 deductable.
    That $100 deductible with Sprint TEP is what put me towards Best Buy's black tie protection.

I can wait to get the phone fixed, but I'm relly just being impatient.

I've resorted back to carrying 2 devices around now. My old Instinct, and my Ipod Touch. (I keep trying to use the Pre Gestures on the ipod)

Can't wait to get the Pre back so I can only need to carry around one.
    Last edited by bjshedwick; 08/12/2009 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lacerz74 View Post
    My Pre is out for repair under the Black Tie Protection. I bought mine launch day from Best Buy and decided to go with the BTP. I'm glad I did. The screen went out on July 18, almost two weeks outside of the 30 day window.

I took the phone to Best Buy on July 19 and they packaged it up (without the back or battery) and sent it to the repair facility (not Palm) that they have a contract with. I was given a Service Order Request, but they could not give me a Target Completion Date at that time.

I called twice to get a Target Completion Date, finally getting one on August 3. The TCD given was August 18. I was told that if the phone had not returned to Best Buy by August 22, I would get a new Pre. Otherwise, it would be my original (hopefully fully repaired) Pre.

The lady at Best Buy also told me that they had issues with the company contracted to do the repairs and that Best Buy had terminated the contract.

Whatever the case, by the time I get a Pre back in my hands, I will have gone a month without it. The loaner phone, a Rumor 2, passes as a phone, but is seriously deficient in all other areas.

I'm pretty frustrated about being without my Pre for so long. I've been a Pre owner for 67 days, of which 25 have been without a working Pre.
    This is true. A company out of Texas named RMS was handling our repair services for around two years, however this company was grossly incompetent sometimes resulting in wait times of 3 months or so. We give out loaner phones and if you get a cool store like mine, we usually don't charge the 150$ refundable deposit you pay with the loaner, however we aren't supposed to do this.

Anyway, we broke our contract with RMS and now starting our new contract with a new company with more on site tech certifications than the previous one. It begins August 17th, I believe. This company is promising two week turnarounds tops. Hopefully they work out better than the last company.
    SCH-A890 --> VX 9800 "V" --> VX 9900 "enV" --> Blackberry 8330 --> iPhone 3G --> Palm Pre --> iPhone 3GS
    If you said this a couple weeks ago, I'd tend to agree with you, even being a BBMobile employee myself, but once we get our service up and running with the new company we contracted, two weeks for your baby repaired (or if it's too far gone, a brand new one, never refurbished) in return you get to keep 100$ and you get unlimited claims. Be patient. I wasn't a believer in our own policy but BBM heard the cries of the employees (tons of complaints about our old company on our in house forums) and is very close to fixing this problem.
    SCH-A890 --> VX 9800 "V" --> VX 9900 "enV" --> Blackberry 8330 --> iPhone 3G --> Palm Pre --> iPhone 3GS
    Quote Originally Posted by bjshedwick View Post
    That $100 deductible with Sprint TEP is what put me towards Best Buy's black tie protection.

I can wait to get the phone fixed, but I'm relly just being impatient.
    The deductable only applies if you damage the phone or have the phone get lost/stolen. IN the case of the OP if you had the $7 or even $4/mo service plan with sprint you would have had the phone replaced within an hour for $0 out of pocket.

Normal repairs due to factory defects and wear and tear (the stuff BB sends out for repair) is covered by TEP for $0 Deductable. Whoever told you that something like a blank screen is a $100 deductable is very very incorrect.

Contrary to popular belief the BB plan does not cover lost/stolen physical damage (cracked screens) or liquid damaged phones. According to the actual T&C of the BB policy there is this extra insurance you have to add to get them to cover liquid/physical above and beyond the black tie for mobile phones, thats what the little * is in the description.
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    So I bought my Pre on launch day, and I purchased the Best Buy Black Tie Protection.

I'm glad I did, because a week ago, my Pre just randomly died. I would not turn on at all. It didn't get wet, no battery issues. I left it charging (both via the USB port and the touchstone) for at leat 8 hours or so. No love when I got up in the morning.

Anyway, I took the phone back to Best Buy, and they could not figure it out either. So they took the phone. I go to keep the battery, the back door, and everything else. They are shipping back to Palm, and said I will get a call when a new one is available. They told me it would be a week or 2.

Now, I'm dying with out my Pre (I have my old Instinct, but going back to it made me realize how much it sucked).

So, has anyone else had to do the same thing? Outside of the 30 day return window?

How long did it take to get a new Pre? I'm not sure if I'm going to get a refurb, or a brand new one. Am I going to get the whole she-bang and get to keep my old stuff?
    me and a friend did it twice and we got brand new phones...

my friend just did his like a week ago and they do rapid exchange which took like two business days...

the last time I exchanged my pre was because my slider had the oreo effect and they just swapped it out right then and there for a brand new one..

Thanks to the Good folks at the Orange Park Best Buy!! You guys are the best.....
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeraXI View Post

Contrary to popular belief the BB plan does not cover lost/stolen physical damage (cracked screens) or liquid damaged phones. According to the actual T&C of the BB policy there is this extra insurance you have to add to get them to cover liquid/physical above and beyond the black tie for mobile phones, thats what the little * is in the description.
    Sorry but you are also very wrong..

A friend of mine broke his pre purposely and got it replaced with no problem/deductible and his second replacement was because he spilled a glass of water on his pre and it was water damaged and got that one replaced in two business days..

We also asked the manager of the best buy mobile dept about water damage and it is very much covered in their policy..
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts

that was when there was a shipment/inventory restraint...

now you can get your pre back within two business days from best buy..

I know, I've seen it done with a friend of mine..
    Just an fyi, after replacing my phone, I saw that there was an 'activation/upgrade' fee on my bill, for activating my new pre. I called sprint cs and after some reasoning, was able to get it removed. They told me it would be a 'one time courtesy' credit.
  15. enjoyingsilence
    I really haven't read thru this entire thread to see if your question(s) have/had been answered thoroughly. Other members have also asked questions about BestBuy's BTP plan.

I have this plan, and have used it 3 times. According to various members @ my store, the district office (in Orlando Florida), and @ Corporate, there isn't a hard limit on the number of times you can have your phone swapped out.

The procedure is done in the same manner the iPhones are done. It's referred to as Rapid Exchange. The average turnaround time is 5-7 business days. I just did one last week, and it took 3 days (business days). I kid you not.

They should give you a loaner phone, if you request one.

RapidExchange replacements from directly from the manufacturer and NOT BestBuy. Hence why only certain phone models are RapidExchange. Other models, say.. a Moto Razr (for instance) would go to a facility in Texas, called RMS Logistics, where they would either repair, or replace your phone with a guaranteed refurb.

With the Pre, because it is so new, the chances of you receiving a refurb are slim to none, however, it is possible.

Water damage is covered on Best Buy's policy, and they will swap it with no problems. Most BB stores require you to take your phone to the Geek Squad counter to process the RapidExchange program, and then you go back to the Mobile Phone Department to get your loaner phone, should you want/need one.

If you receive a charge on your bill, for 18.00 + tax (something like 19.26) for a Device Upgrade Activation Fee, Sprint will remove it. This is an error in the ENSEMBLE billing system, for some reason it thinks you've bought a new phone from telesales, and assesses a upgrade fee. When you activate your new replacement Palm Pre, (OR) the loaner phone Best Buy gives you, you are only doing an ESN Swap, as you are not paying for the replacement phone, or the loaner phone. They will remove this. It is not a 1 time courtesy credit.

BB insurance does not cover lost/stolen phones. You're SoL there. lol

The new contract best buy is starting, in regards to their End of Contract with RMS Logistics, has no bearing on the RapidExchange program. The RapidExchange program operates individually of the "repair" program.

And this is for the SERAXI: quote : Contrary to popular belief the BB plan does not cover lost/stolen physical damage (cracked screens) or liquid damaged phones. According to the actual T&C of the BB policy there is this extra insurance you have to add to get them to cover liquid/physical above and beyond the black tie for mobile phones, thats what the little * is in the description.

Contrary to your incorrect information, as I stated earlier, physical damage is covered. The phones I gave back to best buy were horribly disfigured (1 had been run over by a car, the other I slammed against the ground, rubbed it against the ground, then picked it up and broke it in half, and brought it to Best Buy in a zip lock bag), And they had no problem. There is no extra policy from Best Buy GSBTP (geek squad black tie protection). You pay 9.99 a month, and you're good.

So I bought my Pre on launch day, and I purchased the Best Buy Black Tie Protection.

I'm glad I did, because a week ago, my Pre just randomly died. I would not turn on at all. It didn't get wet, no battery issues. I left it charging (both via the USB port and the touchstone) for at leat 8 hours or so. No love when I got up in the morning.

Anyway, I took the phone back to Best Buy, and they could not figure it out either. So they took the phone. I go to keep the battery, the back door, and everything else. They are shipping back to Palm, and said I will get a call when a new one is available. They told me it would be a week or 2.

Now, I'm dying with out my Pre (I have my old Instinct, but going back to it made me realize how much it sucked).

So, has anyone else had to do the same thing? Outside of the 30 day return window?

How long did it take to get a new Pre? I'm not sure if I'm going to get a refurb, or a brand new one. Am I going to get the whole she-bang and get to keep my old stuff?
  16.    #36  
    So, an update to my ongoing saga of getting my phone fixed.

Last week Best Buy told me that since the repair facility (whoever they are) received my phone last monday. The guy told me that I should call back in a week and get an updated status on my phone.

Today, I called Best Buy back, and they woman told me that there had be no update on my case since last monday. And she told me (first time I heard this) that because it was a Palm, it could 30 days to fix from the time that they received the phone. Uggggh

Starting to get a bit pissed about not having my phone. So know I may have to wait another 3 more weeks to get it back, when it has been 2 weeks already.

Has anyone had this similar experience?

Is there anything else that I can do???

Don't think I'll be buying a cell phone from Best Buy again

UGGGGHHHH!

17. enjoyingsilence
    So, an update to my ongoing saga of getting my phone fixed.

Last week Best Buy told me that since the repair facility (whoever they are) received my phone last monday. The guy told me that I should call back in a week and get an updated status on my phone.

Today, I called Best Buy back, and they woman told me that there had be no update on my case since last monday. And she told me (first time I heard this) that because it was a Palm, it could 30 days to fix from the time that they received the phone. Uggggh

Starting to get a bit pissed about not having my phone. So know I may have to wait another 3 more weeks to get it back, when it has been 2 weeks already.

Has anyone had this similar experience?

Is there anything else that I can do???

Don't think I'll be buying a cell phone from Best Buy again

UGGGGHHHH!
    sounds like your best buy didn't get the memo about pre exchanges going thru Rapid Exchange, and NOT RMS Repair in dallas.
    I bought mine on launch day at Best Buy. I also purchased their Geek Squad insurance. About a month ago I had to exchange my first one for the battery/resetting issue. Then just last Friday, I brought it in because the external speaker sounded like crap and ended up getting a brand new phone. Now I have an extra charger and pouch. I don't know. I may have just gotten lucky but I was under the impression that the Pres do not get repaired, only exchanged.
  19. enjoyingsilence
    Quote Originally Posted by rajun asian View Post
    I bought mine on launch day at Best Buy. I also purchased their Geek Squad insurance. About a month ago I had to exchange my first one for the battery/resetting issue. Then just last Friday, I brought it in because the external speaker sounded like crap and ended up getting a brand new phone. Now I have an extra charger and pouch. I don't know. I may have just gotten lucky but I was under the impression that the Pres do not get repaired, only exchanged.
    for the pre and the iPhone, Best Buy does a rapid exchange. they exchange the phone within a few days. the phone you send them goes to a parts bin, and they make refurb phones from that.
    Quote Originally Posted by agi2002 View Post
    I was considering to get Best Buy Black Tie Protection, but I was reading the Terms and conditions... I don't know if I am reading right but it says..."after this plan is redeemed once, the contract is fullfilled".. So if replaced once then I can't get it replaced again during the two yr coverage? Also it states.."...we will replace it with a product of like kind and quality that is of comparable performance or reimburse you for replacement of the product with a voucher or gift card, at our discretion, equal to the fair market value of the product, as determined by us, not to exceed the original purchase price of your product, including taxes." I bought the pre for $200.00 and later they refunded me the $100 when they had that glitch... does that mean later on if they don't sell the pre anymore or don't have any instock I will only get $100? Technically its only $200 with a two yr contract, outside of contract its like $750.00 so I can't purchase another one for $100.00. If this is the case I don't think I am getting this insurance plan.
    you are reading the normal Black Tie Protection terms and conditions, not the BBYM terms and conditions
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast