Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Given the Pre's capabilities and limited battery life, I tend
    to combine two activities while driving. Streaming music
    from Pandora (or just listening to my own MP3s) and charging.
    It means it's got the headphone plug hanging out the top
    and charging plug in the side, and that means I can only stuff
    the phone in the center cup holder between the seats to keep it
    from sliding around.

I've received about a half dozen calls while in the car so far with the Pre
    and have missed every one of them, because invariably simply
    picking up the phone touches the screen and it does something *other*
    than pressing the one spot in the lower left corner of the screen that
    will answer the call. It either hangs up or brings up contacts, or whatever.
    I really want to answer the phone without having to look at it,
    especially tethered as it is by two wires. I've used the speakerphone
    through my car stereo and it works fine, so it's normally about
    hands free as it gets, except for this answering problem.

I tried answering by sliding the phone open, and that didn't work either
    which puzzled me because I use that elsewhere all the time.
    Turns out that if the phone is on charge, it will *not* answer
    when you slide it open. It just ignores it. And unlike say my
    old Treo, which would answer the phone when I hit the spacebar,
    the Pre appears to have zero hotkeys in the Phone app which
    is really annoying.

Am I missing something else obvious, or is the Pre just dumber than
    my retired Treo 600?

ian
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Just buy a blue tooth headset if you absolutely have to take a call while driving a 2000 pound car in traffic. It sounds like what you are trying to do is even more unsafe than just spending the 70 bucks on a headset.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Ya I expected a kneejerk lecture or two. I'm sure everyone
    here turns their phone off when they're driving.

As I mentioned above, the phone works fine in hands-free mode
    using the car stereo as part of the speakerphone. It just needs a
    direct method of actually answering the call that does
    not require looking away from the road. Pushing the *one*
    button on the front would be a nice way. When it's on charge
    it's unlikely to get pushed accidentally at that exact moment.

As for a blue tooth headset, I really don't need yet another device
    that needs to be on charge all the time. The Pre is enough.

ian
    There are tons of options for answering calls without touching your Pre's screen:

1. Use the included headset. Press the button on it when the phone rings, and it will pick up.

-OR-

2. Get a Bluetooth headset, as Drakej suggested.

-OR-

3. Get a Bluetooth (or wired) speakerphone kit, with an answer button on it.

-OR-

4. Get a Touchstone, and mount it in your car. To answer a call, all you need to do is literally pick up the phone. As soon as it breaks contact with Touchstone, the call will answer. Then simply put the Pre back down again, and it will automatically switch to speakerphone mode (assuming you're not using a headset). I've got a Touchstone in my car, and this is what I do. It works very well.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    as far as I know, there is no other way to answer the phone, and i agree, it is difficult sometiems to answer the phone. once you accidentally press on somethign else, you dont have time to go back and answer the call.

one of my old phones had an option where if you pressed any button on the phone while it was ringing, it would answer. now, I know that wouldn't be the best option, but if this phone had a 'touch anywhere to answer' option that would solve your problem, as you could simply reach over and tap the screen to answer the call.

in reality, it seem your problem stems from the fact that the phone does not lock while charging. if it was locked you could either slide the ball, or open the slider to answer the phone. since it doesn't lock, you are free to accidentally press on anything. an option to have the phone lock while charging would also fix this issue.
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    ABB,
    1. Makes it kinda hard to listen to music with the jack in use.
    2. As I said, another device to be charged. Having to charge the Pre all
    the time is a big enough pain, and is causing the problem in the first place.
    3. Maybe, although I wonder how it'd interact with the headset jack being in use.
    4. Maybe this design limitation is really just part of Palm's idea to sell you yet
    another $50 touchstone kit..

pom, If the one always accessible button answered the phone
    only while on charge, it'd be hard to have it do anything you didn't
    want, accidentally.

ian
    If you're driving you shd be using a handsfree set anyway.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    4. Maybe this design limitation is really just part of Palm's idea to sell you yet
    another $50 touchstone kit..
    I say get one, and an iCup like me.

http://m.forums.precentral.net/palm-pre-accessories/188412-palm-pre-using-touchstone-mounted-your-car-post-your-pictures-here-8.html
    Scroll down for pics.

I also have a $60.00 Moto T505 in the mail. Pandora or your own music via bluetooth and the 505's FM transmitter to your radio. Calls too of course.

Yeah, I know, something else to charge, but the battery life is reputed to be amazing.
    Last edited by galavanter; 08/10/2009 at 05:43 AM.
    I have experienced many of the same issues while driving, and yes also got the expected car phone morality police postings.. , but what I did to sorta help the problems was get a cup holder mount as well as that Motorols T505. I have to say the Motorola device is actually very good. I have not yet had to re charge the battery and I have used it for maybe 6-10 hours cumulatively. I really hated all the BT devices in my ear and this one is a good mix of speaker phone or FM transmitter. The FM transmission is sometimes really good when I can find a nice clear station. But the speaker phone for conversation is surprisingly good. It has one simple button that you dont even have to take your eyes off the road for a second, that simply answers/ends the call.

When I do short trips and dont want to go thru the steps of setting up the T505, just having Pre in the cup holder mount makes it much easier to just tap the button and grab the phone to my ear.
    BT car stereo with external mic is a good deal as well. Such as this one Sony MEX-BT3700 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Call comes in, music silences, tap knob (that blinks) on the stereo to answer. Plays over speakers. Music resumes once call ends. Pre sits on my touchstone, but can be in your pocket, laying in seat, etc. The callers i've tested said it sounds good on their end.
    Last edited by cardfan; 08/10/2009 at 06:38 AM.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    You know, you can say what you want about "knee jerk" comments and "morality police reactions" when talking about phone use and driving, but face the fact; It's dangerous and it's not really necessary.
    If it's so important that you that you just have to take the call, pull over. I can say that I honestly DO NOT use the telephone when operating a motor vehicle...EVER! I just let it go to voicemail and check it when I get to where I'm going.
    Hasn't been a problem for me yet.

Yes, I know it's just as dangerous changin a CD and scanning radio channels, frankly I don't do that either. Why add another dangerous activity to an already hazardous endeavor.
    I also know that some states have laws against using "earbud" while operating a vehicle.

I ride a motorcycle a lot and what I see on the road amazes me sometimes. People don't even realize some of the things their doing on the road when they're talking on the phone. I easily see 2 out of 3 people on the phone on a given day.

The next time you're out driving somewhere, pay attention to what people are doing stupid on the road and see if most of them aren't talking on the cell phone. Do you think you're any different than everyone else?

In other words, why don't you just pay attention to what you're doing while you're driving and worry about the phone when you get to where you're going.

Sorry if I offended anyone's sensibilities.
    Sorry for the rant,
    but ever since that lady rear-ended me last year on the bike while talking on the cell phone this is kind of a sore subject with me and attitudes about this topic just need to change. i don't care what you think or feel....it's just dangerous for everyone!
    I agree. If you missed 12 phone calls on the Pre WHILE driving, I don't want to know what happens when you are talking with someone in the passenger seat or a car full of people. Scary
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    I bought the plantronics bluetooth speaker phone and it works great with the Pre. When you are using GPS it plays the directions through the speaker, has the ability to play Pandora through FM and the battery life is ridiculously long. Also you won't lose it as easily since it is going to stay in the car all the time.

If you are using it for GPS and Pandora when a call comes through both pause the speakerphone tells you what number is incoming (not the name just the number) the Pre pauses both Pandora/GPS and you can take the call or ignore.

It makes no sense to drive around without some sort of bluetooth for the phone.

Very slick.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Get BLUETOOTH.......

I use the Motorola T-505 which streams my music, navigation & calls through my car speakers...
    Quote Originally Posted by ABBlockhead View Post

3. Get a Bluetooth speakerphone kit, with an answer button on it.

AND

4. Get a Touchstone, and mount it in your car. To answer a call, all you need to do is literally pick up the phone. As soon as it breaks contact with Touchstone, the call will answer. Then simply put the Pre back down again, and it will automatically switch to speakerphone mode (assuming you're not using a headset). I've got a Touchstone in my car, and this is what I do. It works very well.
    These are two must have if youre in the car alot.

I just picked up the Jabra BT speaker phone from costco 40 something dollars....it also has an FM modulator... I love it!
    Last edited by twizardt; 08/10/2009 at 08:19 AM.

What we do in life echoes in eternity.....

"Four things come not back:
    the spoken word,
    the sped arrow,
    the past life,
    the neglected opportunity."
    This should rile all of you up. I originally bought a cell phone because I needed something to do to keep me awake while driving my 50 minute commute. I tried rolling down the windows, I tried singing at the top of my voice, slapping myself periodically, nothing worked. I always fell asleep. So I bought a cell phone to talk to people when the problem presented itself.

It may not be an ideal circumstance for a lot of you people, but it's a life saver for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakej View Post
    Just buy a blue tooth headset if you absolutely have to take a call while driving a 2000 pound car in traffic. It sounds like what you are trying to do is even more unsafe than just spending the 70 bucks on a headset.
    Not too many 1-ton cars out there! Try 3000=lbs!

I use the 3.5mm cable into my AUX jack. It plays my Pandora and SprintNav through the stereo, and when a call comes through, I dont have to slide anything because the screen is awake. Just press the accept button and the call plays through the stereo. But I dont take many calls while I drive.
    I can't help other than suggest the car kit I've seen. My car has a built in phone hook up so I just tap the answer button on my steering wheel and I'm in business. The info shows up on my NAV screen so I can actually see who is calling (if they are set up on my Pre) and I can use the NAV touch screen if I need the number touch pad. Anyway, I won't lecture anyone on whether to drive with a phone in one hand, but just from the ease of use, get some type of hands free set up, just makes everything so much easier.
    In car Touchstone, Plantronics Voyager PRO, doesn't get any easier. Yes you do have to charge the BT, but you get up to six hours of continuous talk time, and five days of standby.
    Alright, well, for the OP's original list of requirements, he doesn't want something extra to charge, he wants to be charging his Pre, with aux cable plugged in. Two cables connecting to Pre. He puts the phone in the cupholder because with two cables, it's a little unwieldy. He wants to answer the phone and talk using the car stereo speakers, which is totally doable. He can then be handsfree. The only part that isn't handsfree is answering. And that is difficult because with the phone charging, the lock screen doesn't come up, so if you accidentally touch the screen anywhere but the little green circle on the lower left, the call gets ignored.

It seems to me that the real problem is a mounting solution. Because the Pre is just sitting in a cupholder, the button is at the bottom, and inaccessible without taking the Pre out. I'm not sure there are any official mounting solutions out there for the Pre, but there are lots of universal systems that might work. I'm not familiar enough with any to make any recommendations, but it seems that if the Pre were mounted more conveniently, with the little green button readily accessible, it's a big enough target to tap easily, even while driving. I think that's the needed solution.

Other than the Touchstone, who's got a good mounting solution for the Pre?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast