Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by reininop View Post
    This should rile all of you up. I originally bought a cell phone because I needed something to do to keep me awake while driving my 50 minute commute. I tried rolling down the windows, I tried singing at the top of my voice, slapping myself periodically, nothing worked. I always fell asleep. So I bought a cell phone to talk to people when the problem presented itself.

It may not be an ideal circumstance for a lot of you people, but it's a life saver for me.
    Does not rile ME up, I say if it works DO IT! Better to talk on the phone and stay awake then nod off and kill yourself and others..

I have seen drivers do MUCH worse things while driving than talk on the phone. Like put EYE makeup on, turn around to yell at kids in the back seat, juggle a greasy burger...

LIFE if full of distractions, and its up to the sensibility and control of the individual to know what level is acceptable for a benefit, vs what is totallly NOT. To ME talking while driving is something I have always done, and I have never had so much as a parking ticket, or speeding ticket, or any other kind of ticket EVER in my over 40 years of driving. I strictly observe all the laws of the road. And I hate to say it, but I also feel laws to force you to wear seatbelts are wrong too , along with laws to enforce motorcycle helmelts...

IM sure I'll get slammed for THOSE last too as well
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    This thing is a POS phone. Great mini-PC....terrible phone.
    My car setup makes it very easy to pick up the phone. Toushstone mounted on the dash with the Pre hooked up via AUX for audio. When a call comes in I just tap the answer icon and that's it. I hear the caller through the car stereo speakers and I speak through the Pre's mic on the dashboard.

You can't get easier than that. It is actually one of the things that has really impressed me about the Pre.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    My car setup makes it very easy to pick up the phone. Toushstone mounted on the dash with the Pre hooked up via AUX for audio. When a call comes in I just tap the answer icon and that's it. I hear the caller through the car stereo speakers and I speak through the Pre's mic on the dashboard.

You can't get easier than that. It is actually one of the things that has really impressed me about the Pre.
    Couldn't agree more. Maybe the TS wasn't exactly designed to be mounted in the car, but it is perfect for the task.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Thanks to those who offered some real possible solutions.
    A proper dash mount would certain help the situation, but I'm not looking for
    the phone to become the centerpiece of my car, as contrary to the impression
    that some here have, I'm not one of those people who *wants* to talk
    on the phone all the time while driving. I just want to be able to answer
    the occasional call without having to look at the phone.

The BT speakerphones with FM Tx look promising, although finding
    a consistently open station has proven to be a real hassle when moving
    around a large urban environment. The FM adapters that try to automatically
    choose a station are the worst, because their antenna sensitivity is so much
    lower than the car stereo's so they pick an in-use station about 4 times out
    of 5. I currently use a cassette adapter for that reason, but I may give
    the Moto or Plantronics unit a try as it's closest to what I'm after.
    Either of those units with a 3.5mm output jack would be even better.

ian
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Here's a related question.
    When you pair the Pre to a BT device (headset or speakerphone)
    what happens if you then still plug something into the headphone jack?
    Does the BT device take over all the output, or the other way around,
    or do they coexist (music out the jack, and phone operation via BT)?

ian
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Thanks to those who offered some real possible solutions.
    A proper dash mount would certain help the situation, but I'm not looking for
    the phone to become the centerpiece of my car, as contrary to the impression
    that some here have, I'm not one of those people who *wants* to talk
    on the phone all the time while driving. I just want to be able to answer
    the occasional call without having to look at the phone.

ian
    I don't know that properly mounting it in the vehicle so that you can easily access it makes it "the centerpiece of your car". I would imagine that if your radio or CD player were mounted in a cupholder and you had problems operating it you'd want it put in a better place. And since you're using your Pre for music as well as the phone functions, it just seems to make sense to mount it properly somewhere, rather than wait for Palm to change it to accomodate you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12