Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    That's what I said from the beginning in the thread where we whined about not having an SD card slot. Backing everything up to the cloud would use up too much bandwidth and take too long (not to mention the impossibility of doing so in areas where there is no data service). Since we lack an SD card, we need a way to back up everything via WiFi and/or USB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    That's what I said from the beginning in the thread where we whined about not having an SD card slot. Backing everything up to the cloud would use up too much bandwidth and take too long (not to mention the impossibility of doing so in areas where there is no data service). Since we lack an SD card, we need a way to back up everything via WiFi and/or USB.
    So am I to understand that there is no app (even a paid 3rd party app) whereby you can bring a new Pre back to the configuration of your previous Pre in the event of a total loss/breakage/crash?

On the Treo of course you just back up to the SD card, and once a week copy the SD card to an external hard disk, and you have pretty good data security. There is no way to do the equivalent (via WiFi or USB) on a Pre in a way that restores everything, including music, pics, videos, etc.? None at all?
    Astonishing, but true. Contacts are supposed to be backed up to the cloud, media to the computer via USB. Some third-party apps (like Missing Sync on the Mac) are supposed to facilitate syncing to the computer, but even these have serious flaws and omissions. There's no backup anywhere of browser bookmarks/launchpoints, for example.
    Originally posted by Dr.Grace:
    Astonishing, but true. Contacts are supposed to be backed up to the cloud, media to the computer via USB. Some third-party apps (like Missing Sync on the Mac) are supposed to facilitate syncing to the computer, but even these have serious flaws and omissions. There's no backup anywhere of browser bookmarks/launchpoints, for example.
    I use Xmarks (mobile) for my bookmarks. I've created a folder called mobile sites, but it's really just Pre friendly sites. I use Gmail for contacts and calendar and SyncToy to back up everything, including my setting.

However, it's reassuring to know that I can do a full erase of my data and pull back up the important stuff with my Palm Profile instead of having to wait till I get home to pull my backup data from my PC.
    Have you actually tested that by doing a total erase? You'll soon find out what's not backed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Well it backs up the contacts and apps automatically, that's what's most important to me. The only other thing I care about is pictures, and those are backed up in no time by copying them to a computer. For me, iTunes keeps the music on my Pre and my PC, so the only thing I am worried about losing is pics.
    So you don't care at all aboute notes or tasks? How about all the settings you make in your apps, which you have to tediously re-do any time you restore?

The ability to back-up and restore ALL the data on a computing device should be a basic part of any computing device. This is a big FAIL for Palm. Unfortunately, just one of many.

Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    So am I to understand that there is no app (even a paid 3rd party app) whereby you can bring a new Pre back to the configuration of your previous Pre in the event of a total loss/breakage/crash?
    That's correct.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Funny how people here act like needing 3 or 4 different places for cloud back up when all we really needed was a single desktop sync solution for everything. Not to say they shouldn't pursue cloud backups, I enjoy it, but to pretend that the current back up system is anything close to complete is idiotic.

I don't need or want my data in 3 or 4 different places when one serves just fine. I have no issue with cloud backups my issue is they are incomplete in their current form and the omission of a desktop sync solution is noticeable. If Cloud backed everything up properly there wouldn't be an issue, it doesn't.
    Originally posted by Dr.Grace:
    Have you actually tested that by doing a total erase? You'll soon find out what's not backed up.
    Actually, I've done a full erase a few times. That's why I make a duplicate copy of my backup on my desktop, before I restore and I backup my bookmarks in Xmarks. Everything else, even my SplashID information comes back from SyncToy.

I'm not 100% sure if the Bookmarks didn't return, because the first time I restored with SyncToy, I used the wrong settings to restore the data.

As for Backup Systems go, even our full PCs don't have a glitch free backup system unless you purchase outside apps and software so I'm okay with needing extra precautions for my phone also.
    And that process you go throught is a lot more complicated than a simple hotsync was on the Treo. It's just one of many ways in which the Pre is a step backwards. Palm had to rush this thing to market before it was ready, IMHO. (And the opinion of almost everyone that ever used a Treo.) They either didn't think through all the issues, or they knew about them and released it anyway. Probably the latter, because if they hadn't released it they'd be in bankruptcy proceedings about now.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I just had to do a partial erase and none of my palm profile contacts came back after I had signed into the palm profile. I called palm and they had me do yet another partial erase which didn't help and now I'm awaiting a call back from a Palm "third tier" customer service agent which may take 4 days. Meanwhile I'm without 90% of my phone numbers.

Desktop backup is a must even in the wireless age. As always technology is two steps forward, one step backward.
    Unfortunately, MeyerWeb is so right on this. Let's not pretend that Palm shouldn't have released a way to back EVERYTHING up in one place!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-NYC View Post
    Unfortunately, MeyerWeb is so right on this. Let's not pretend that Palm shouldn't have released a way to back EVERYTHING up in one place!
    My Clie came with a way to backup everything, but the Palm sync system never satisfied my need for incremental backups. In addition, my contacts would eventually duplicate in Outlook due to pda crashes or resets. Syncing has never been perfect.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch11 View Post
    My Pre didn't backup all of my contacts...I did a manual synch before doing a full erase for an email issue...now..they are lost...gone...tried to get them through my old Sprint wireless backup but I can't get access to it anymore
    YES, EXACT SAME PROBLEM. My Pres (2 so far) don't seem to sync any changes to phone numbers for existing contacts to my Google account... even changes that were made over a week prior to me switching phones (more than ample time to sync) have been lost, and forcing a sync from my new Pre provably does NOT update existing contacts in Google with new phone numbers. I'm livid, Palm can't possibly position this as a business-class device as long as it loses data (and I also agree with the others here who believe that it's absurd that you don't find out what DOESN'T get backed up/synced until being forced to find out the hard way).
    yea but most likely u gon end up at that point anyways by puttin the pictures a music back on so the question still stands y not back up everything its time comsuming having 2 reload everything back on after a reset or phone exchange
    I'm on my 5th pre and every time I got a new one I just enter my profile and everything is back to normal. Tasks, Calendar events, Contacts (with avatars even if the photo isn't on me new pre) and most everything else. Photo's and such should just be kept in more than one place is all. I have a coworker that just lost all her Wedding pics due to a virus on here PC, so it goes to show you everything important should have another backup somewhere.
    Why doesn't Palm provide a way for us to find out what exactly is present in our Palm profile? Seems like that would at least show us what will be restored from there in case of a total erase. I've moved all my contacts to Google, so I'm not dependent as much on the Palm profile. At least you can inspect what gets synced to Google.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    Why doesn't Palm provide a way for us to find out what exactly is present in our Palm profile? Seems like that would at least show us what will be restored from there in case of a total erase. I've moved all my contacts to Google, so I'm not dependent as much on the Palm profile. At least you can inspect what gets synced to Google.
    I think this is where FOleo2 can shine and be useful, a desktop backup of your Pre's information since they all sync to the same cloud.
    Sorry, I can't see the point of having to buy another device when we already have computers to sync to.
    i'm going through this now, only 7 of my 50+ contacts went through. Sprint had no clue now to fix it and referred me to Palm. Was on phone 45 min until finally they told me I had to go to the 3rd tier support. Was just wondering if they got back with you and were able to fix the issue or am I screwed, (I couldn't wait on phone any longer to go through entire issue again so told her I'd call back - wondering if it's even worth the effort).

Side note: although Sprint tries to be helpful I was about ready to jump threw the phone and kill the first palm lady i had. Very unhelpful and basically made me feel like I was disturbing her!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    The only way I was able to get all of my original contacts back was to re-import them from my previous phone...the guy on the phone from Sprint was extremely helpful and tried a number of different ways with no luck...the woman that I spoke to from Palm was entirely useless and all too happy to tell me how many more "free" days of support I have left before I would have to pay.

I've since been trying to synch everything to google and ditch the Palm Profile...what good is the Palm Profile going to do me when in 2 years I tire of this phone and get a different one?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12