Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    sry not sure if this should be here but i was wondering if someone could help me root my pre if someone has aim and they want to help me it would be appreciated aim= GB Prodigy xx
    If anyone needs help on rooting, I'll try and help via AIM (username: Time4swim). I'm usually online every day. Make sure I'm not mobile, I perfer to only help when I'm at my computer.

I have Google Talk, MSN, AIM, and can get on IRC.

Google Talk: Time4swim@gmail.com
    MSN: Time4swim@hotmail.com
    AIM: Time4swim
    IRC: Just shoot me up a e-mail or PM me here and we can find a room.
    Last edited by Abyssul; 08/10/2009 at 11:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    If anyone needs help on rooting, I'll try and help via AIM (username: Time4swim). I'm usually online every day.
    I would love some help with this.. dont use AIM, but use Google Talk.
    I found a post that had very simple instructions on how to root the Pre. After reading it, I was able to finally root my pre. Hope this helps you. Since I can't post links just yet, I'll have to paste the post, but this is originally from lorcha.

Now that the SDK is out, it's absurdly easy to access linux.

1. Instal the SDK according to the directions from Palm.
    2. Put your phone into developer mode (from the home screen, type 'upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart', open the Developer Mode app and put the phone into developer mode. It will prompt you to restart).
    3. Connect your phone to the computer using your USB cable. Select "Charge Only" on the Pre
    4. Go to (I'm assuming you're on Windows here) Start -> Run and type 'cmd' (without the quotes) and hit enter.
    5. Once you're in the command prompt, type 'novacom -t open tty://' (again, without the quotes).
    6. You'll see a prompt root@castle:/# ←[J which means you're in! Type whatever commands you want (but be careful! very easy to hose your Pre when you're logged in as root!)

That is how you access linux (formerly called rooting the pre) on your Pre. Yes, it really is that easy.
    I can't post any links because my post count is below 10. Send me an email at l.wade.walker at gmail dot com and I will send you instructions. Once you receive them if you have any questions please feel free to ask. It's actually very easy.
    Doesn't Google Talk interact with AIM or only share contacts? None the less, I have a Google Talk account.
    I would just like to add that I believe the instructions above assume you have Windows XP 32-bit. Just wanted to point that out in case anyone tried them on vista or 7 or a 64-bit OS and was having problems. I have Vista Ultimate 64 and I was not ever able to get the novacom driver to install. I ended up having to use a second machine i had that was running Linux Ubuntu 9.
    -Viva la Pre!
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by horrorshow13 View Post
    I would just like to add that I believe the instructions above assume you have Windows XP 32-bit. Just wanted to point that out in case anyone tried them on vista or 7 or a 64-bit OS and was having problems. I have Vista Ultimate 64 and I was not ever able to get the novacom driver to install. I ended up having to use a second machine i had that was running Linux Ubuntu 9.
    Actually those instructions are for 64-bit vista/7.
    Try checking this directory and see if there is an executable file called novacom.exe in there.
    Code:
    C:\program files\palm\sdk\bin\
    If it is in there then it should work. If you are getting a 'not recognized command' error at the command prompt then just change your working directory to that directory.