Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It seems that my volume buttons on the side of my Pre are not working. It is constantly stuck on the loudest setting and when I try to press the button to make it go down, it just doesn't move. Is there a way around this volume problem? Like a touch screen control?
    you can set the Volume is Sounds from the Launch menu , but if the button is broke it will jjust increase it again.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Had the same problem with mine except it kept getting turned down. a few days later I opened up the keyboard it caught on the volume button and snapped it off. I pleaded with the sprint store manager for 10 minutes but she said she was not going to replace it. Good thing I had insurance. $100. I have no hope this phone is going to last two years without it breaking again. That little volume piece cost less than 1cent to manufacture but it cost me $100.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I'm having this problem too. The up button works but the down button doesn't. I'm going to take it into the shop because it seems like a hardware issue. I came here to see if others had the same problem.
    I have the same problem with the down volume, seems to be kind of common! I do not want to resort to having Sprint replace it yet under the TEP, as it will still cost me $100.00. I even tried to see if it was just getting stuck {due to daughters sticky hands onec} and used a little 91 % rubbing alcohol to free it up, it's still doing it but randomly. I have to press the down hard to free it up? Chalk this up to cheap plastic on the volume buttons.
    Same problem here, my up button will NOT work just the down works normally.......anyone find a fix for this?
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Both my up and down volume buttons do not work. I can feel the clicks, but it does not do anything. Took the back cover out, used a small knife to pop up the black plastic rocker to check the microswitches. Geez, nothing to check, it's sealed little buggers! Using a knife edge, I did jumper the two little wires sticking out by the switches to keep my volume maxed out.

The volume was never loud enough to begin with...ugh! Always have to find a quiet place to use my headset for phone/music/videos.

I've had my old Treo for six years and was the most durable thing... inspite looking like an old battle axe. The Pre could be planned obsolesence in a year...cracks showing on the USB area and lighted button. Cracks are probably caused when using the thumb pressure to slide the keyboard open. Plastic should be changed to a more durable formula. Why did Palm use this type of plastic?
    we had a problem on one of our Pre's like this and it turned out to be a SOFTWARE issue - wierd - reformatting the pre iwth a hard reset fixed it?
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    mine was stuck on DOWN.

took it to the sprint store and they fixed it.
    she said they put in a new volume button and keyboard.

last week I dropped the phone and it landed on the power button.
    now it turns on/off at will. I hope they can fix that, too. I plan on stopping by in a couple days.
  10. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Mine seems to be stuck on down too. Just started happening yesterday. I'm going to try reformatting then if that doesn't work take it in.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    we had a problem on one of our Pre's like this and it turned out to be a SOFTWARE issue - wierd - reformatting the pre iwth a hard reset fixed it?
    Are you asking or telling us a hard reset fixed it?

And if it did, how do you do a hard reset?
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I just restarted the phone when I had the problem...
    fixed. =)

If not, try to shut it down, pull battery, put back, turn on...
    My volume buttons fell off. Called the Sprint Store and asked if they could give me a new button to replace i just the button. They sadi they couldn't do that and they ordered me a replacement and had it the next day, no questions asked.
    Quick question, asking here since many of you seem to have experience with taking phones back to carrier. Should I uninstall all apps and tweaks before heading back to Sprint?
    I didn't.
  16. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    So I tried a hard reset, still didn't work. Took it into the service center and they couldn't figure out the problem either. They just ended up ordering a replacement for me.
  17. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    so I got the replacement and it works great. What's odd is that it runs a lot smoother than the old Pre.
    Well, Im gonna have to pay them a visit tomorrow, I just realized there's no way to increase the volume for media applications. Volume control in 'Sounds & Ringtones' only controls ringtone volume and system sounds, not the media applications.

FYI- They had to swap out my phone.
    Last edited by xfbo; 12/22/2009 at 12:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Well, my volume up and down buttons do not work. I check with the interactive test...no response from the volume buttons.

I took the back cover off, got a small flat screw driver and snapped off the little black volume rocker switch cover. I then just shorted the little wires on the up or down microswitch to adjust the volume for the telephone, and the music/video level; also for speaker and earphone level.

So this works for now, but no on the spot changing of volume...sigh!

If I've got the time...will call Palm, local Sprint is no help unless you have insurance. The design/specification for this switch is really poorly made and I doubt if it will last like my 5 year old Palm Treo.
    I just hacked the pre "sound and alerts" app to include the phone and media player volume controls. Now where can I post this?

teamsoa.com slash soundandalerts_hacked.tgz

'replace slash with /' precentral.net isn't letting me put a hyperlink, arg.

You need to put your phone into developer mode, use novaterm to connect, backup your old app in /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.soundsandalerts, then untar this one into that directory.

Hope that helps. Sorry to be so terse. Can someone put this into the homebrew? I'm not sure exactly what the process is.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast