1.    #1  
    I must be missing something. How do I view a PDF online? The browser won't download... so what good is the PDF viewer if I can't see PDFs online? I have to go to the computer and download it and transfer it?? And I can't use the PRE as a modem to use the computer... so, no PDFs??

workaround?
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Im with you on this. Very annoying
    On thing I have found...if googling pdf click options next to file on google home page then click mobile version....this worked for me to view 2 pdfs the other day
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by babydaddy75 View Post
    On thing I have found...if googling pdf click options next to file on google home page then click mobile version....this worked for me to view 2 pdfs the other day
    That kind-of helps, I guess... at least the vast amount of PDFs online aren't lost to a Pre user. You can sort-of read the PDFs (without pics) that way.

What's the PDF viewer for anyway? I also found that you can't view PDFs on the Evernote app. Does Palm expect you to take the time to transfer all PDFs from your computer? - Good thing I got a Pre, I'll be expecting a call from the 1990's.

Seriously, not being able to download from the browser is a SERIOUS flaw that I hope will be fixed soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by woyzeck View Post
    Seriously, not being able to download from the browser is a SERIOUS flaw that I hope will be fixed soon.
    I don't think it is a flaw, I think it was a choice. People don't like it when their mobile phones crash and burn, and downloading from the web is a great way to FUBAR a computer, let alone a phone.

My guess is Palm decided not to allow downloading from the web on purpose, just to prevent these kinds of issues. However, the lack of being able to view files is a royal pain.

What I would like to see is a tap and hold function added to the phone. It could be like a right click function, and open up some options like copy URL, save picture or a native copy and paste, which would be epic.

Even with something as simple as copy url and paste, you could use filecoaster to d/l the pdf so you could view it.

My 2 cents.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Even with something as simple as copy url and paste, you could use filecoaster to d/l the pdf so you could view it.

My 2 cents.
    Please tell me someone from Palm's WebOS development team is reading this... what a brilliant idea!
  7.    #7  

What I would like to see is a tap and hold function added to the phone. It could be like a right click function, and open up some options like copy URL, save picture or a native copy and paste, which would be epic.

My 2 cents.
    Yes, that would definitely be an improvement... also with an option to download. Again, my old 700wx had a tap and hold function menu, which also included copy/paste options btw.

d/l'ing can be dangerous, sure, but only with viruses... I've NEVER had a problem though (even with windows mobile) in my 7 years of using smartphones (way back to the palm visorphone)

The dev wiki had a great patch for downloading from the browser. It worked pretty well, but hasn't worked since v1.1

Will the FileCoaster help me with this issue (sorry, I'm new to this forum)

Will the FileCoaster help me with this issue (sorry, I'm new to this forum)
    fileCoaster is a must imo. First it lets you download all of the homebrew apps. If you haven't checked them out, you must. They are basically all of the beta's of apps that will be making their way into the official Palm Store.

Second, it has the ability to download a file if you give it the url, which is also handy. It can do mp3's and pictures as far as I know. I am pretty sure it can do pdf's but I am not sure.

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps
    I don't think it is a flaw, I think it was a choice. People don't like it when their mobile phones crash and burn, and downloading from the web is a great way to FUBAR a computer, let alone a phone.

My guess is Palm decided not to allow downloading from the web on purpose, just to prevent these kinds of issues. However, the lack of being able to view files is a royal pain.
    That may be the case, but it doesn't make sense to me. Why would it be considered safe to view a PDF in an e-mail attachment but not be safe to view one by clicking on a link in a web page? I would expect at some point there will be attachment handler configuration like in a regular browser or at least a prompt when you click on a link that asks whether you want to open the external viewer.

On an unrelated note, when do you supposed landscape mode will be supported for PDF viewer and the Doc View.
    How or where do I go to reinstall PDF View if I accidentally deleted it ? It's not available to download in the App Catalog !
    Quote Originally Posted by ansonb View Post
    How or where do I go to reinstall PDF View if I accidentally deleted it ? It's not available to download in the App Catalog !
    I don't know HOW you did, but if you seriously deleted the app, you're going to have to web doctor.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    I have to go to the computer and download it and transfer it??
    Excuse the dumb question, but even when you want to transfer a PDF from your computer (Mac or PC) to your Pre, where do you copy it to?

I presume you put your Pre into USB drive mode then it appears as a external disk on your coputer, but there is no default 'documents' folder on the Pre? I remember seeing a Ringtones folder, for example. (bear with me as I don't have my Pre with me right now).
    Even if you create a folder called, say,"My PDFs", how will the Pre recognise it? i.e. there is no file manager/browser that allows you to access it.

Second, it has the ability to download a file if you give it the url, which is also handy. It can do mp3's and pictures as far as I know.
    In similar fashion, what location are these files downloaded to? Where would they reside?
    Just as importantly, how would you browse your folders to access them?
    I believe this problem was fixed in 1.2, I was able to dl pdf and once finished downloading i could tap on it and it would direct me to PDF viewer where it displayed perfectly. Ever since i updated to 1.3.1 i can no longer download and view PDFs.
    Quote Originally Posted by c_man View Post
    Excuse the dumb question, but even when you want to transfer a PDF from your computer (Mac or PC) to your Pre, where do you copy it to?

I presume you put your Pre into USB drive mode then it appears as a external disk on your coputer, but there is no default 'documents' folder on the Pre? I remember seeing a Ringtones folder, for example. (bear with me as I don't have my Pre with me right now).
    Even if you create a folder called, say,"My PDFs", how will the Pre recognise it? i.e. there is no file manager/browser that allows you to access it.

In similar fashion, what location are these files downloaded to? Where would they reside?
    Just as importantly, how would you browse your folders to access them?
    For the first one, I just have a folder on the var/media/internals drive [USB] named 'pre'. All my docs are in that, docx and PDF alike. I would assume the viewer scans your media drive for the right file types, and displays what pdfs it finds.

As for the second, I'm not sure. Downloaded pictures have a folder called downloads in messaging, so it could be something along those lines, a folder in the media section of the pre. In the case that it's true, you would access them like any other media--hook up your pre as a usb drive and go for it.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laelipoo View Post
    For the first one, I just have a folder on the var/media/internals drive [USB] named 'pre'. All my docs are in that, docx and PDF alike. I would assume the viewer scans your media drive for the right file types, and displays what pdfs it finds.
    Fantastic, thats what I was after. So the PDF viewer or Doc viewer just scans the whole Pre folder structure for applicable files that it can read.

I guess this is how it works for the Doc Viewer too.

Too many files and I can see it getting a little out of control...
    Quote Originally Posted by c_man View Post
    Fantastic, thats what I was after. So the PDF viewer or Doc viewer just scans the whole Pre folder structure for applicable files that it can read.

I guess this is how it works for the Doc Viewer too.

Too many files and I can see it getting a little out of control...
    Just to elaborate, the folder I have named 'pre' is a subfolder of the USB drive. I'm just lazy to name things. But yes, that is how it worked for me at least.

It's similar to how docs to go worked in palm OS--i had at least 30 docs on there, and it never had issues other than a bit of lag loading.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meandmypre View Post
    On an unrelated note, when do you supposed landscape mode will be supported for PDF viewer and the Doc View.
    +1 ...any news?
    Anyone know if it is possible to delete a pdf file from pre?
    Does anyone know when Data Viz is coming out with PDF/Excel view and edit for this phone. They keep pushing the date back?