Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    There are two things that I thought the Pre would have by now because of the research I did before buying the phone.

1. Visual Voicemail. According to PhoneFusion, they were going to put something together for the Pre, but it still hasn't happened. One reason why it might not be done yet is because they weren't given the SDK early according to their Twitter page. Seems strange that Palm wouldn't have given them the SDK early when Palm retweeted PhoneFusion's tweet about wanting to create VVM for the Pre.

2. Video Recording. While doing my research, review after review mentioned that while the Pre wasn't going to come with video capabilities out of the box, it would be added quickly with an update.

Have any of you heard about the progress on either of these matters?

A quick follow-up question regarding visual voicemail. Many of you have put together great apps in the homebrew section. Would PhoneFusion essentially be doing the same thing you developers did for your apps? In other words, do they just need to get the SDK and start creating it or do they need more help on Palm's end to get the VVM thing done?
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    what gave you the impression it would have this by now??

when did they say these were even going to be features?
    don't hold your breath on the video recording. that is not a high priority right now. I think it's coming but not as fast as everyone thinks. Look at iphone 1.0 how long did it take to see video. It took the next unit to have it which was a couple years later. Video is not a priority to companies.

You bought the phone without video so why would you think palm is going to rush to get video on this phone. Not bashing just stating the facts. I really hope they add video too and am waiting for it but I just don't want to keep saying man I wish this had this or this had that. I feel like the browser needs a little tweaking but everything else seems to work smooth.

I really think palm did this on purpose by leaving this out as a hello to apple. Look we can sell phones with options missing too. There is a rivalry here and it has to do with the reps that used to work for apple that now work for palm. Look close at your phone and how it works and you'll see a lot of familiarity with apple. menus, web browsing, itunes.. hum...
    Video recording was said to be coming before the end of the year.

I have not seen any word on visual voicemail.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    what gave you the impression it would have this by now??

when did they say these were even going to be features?
    Did you by chance happen to click on any of the links I provided and read the content?
    I'll take the ability to choose message notification. You're not getting video for at least 6 months to a year. If you need it, get a different phone. If you're expecting it you will be dissapointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by aristarchus View Post
    Video recording was said to be coming before the end of the year.

I have not seen any word on visual voicemail.
    Who said that? Palm certinaly never did. C'mon, doesn't take a lot to know that if it doesn't come from the source (Palm) then you should take it with a grain of salt.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coachdvc View Post
    Did you by chance happen to click on any of the links I provided and read the content?
    Speculation.

Palm has never mentioned Video, or if this iteration of the will ever get it.

Palm has never mentioned visual voice mail or an eta for same.

Like the poster above said, don't wait, rather buy another phone. These changes arent priorities. My phone still shuts down randomly, that's the update that i'm waiting for.
    I think there's good reason to be optimistic for video recording to be added to the Pre. Adding video recording should just be a software update. Witness how quickly they can put out an update to WebOS - recent upgrade adding Exchange security and the re-support of iTunes syncing in the pesky battle with Apple. Add to the fact, WebOS updates don't seem to have to go through long delays in Sprint's testing ground like other devices (WinMo for one), i.e, less carrier involvement to put out a WebOS update. The iTunes thing points out Palm's desire to stay a step ahead so with the addition of video on the 3GS I say look for video recording on the Pre by year end.

MPV
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    don't hold your breath on the video recording. that is not a high priority right now. I think it's coming but not as fast as everyone thinks. Look at iphone 1.0 how long did it take to see video. It took the next unit to have it which was a couple years later. Video is not a priority to companies.
    Look, I'm a BIG fan of the Pre and I think there is some forgiveness that should be extended to a 1.0 device. However, comparing the Pre to the 1.0 iPhone doesn't seem right...or at least people aren't going to care. They will compare *any* device (regardless of how many times it has been released) with other current device.

Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    I really think palm did this on purpose by leaving this out as a hello to apple. Look we can sell phones with options missing too. There is a rivalry here and it has to do with the reps that used to work for apple that now work for palm. Look close at your phone and how it works and you'll see a lot of familiarity with apple. menus, web browsing, itunes.. hum...
    Sorry, that doesn't make any business sense at all. No company would cripple their own device to prove a point. It only upsets consumers. A more reasonable explanation is that they simply didn't have the time to do it right. Also, battery life is still a problem and video recording drains the battery even more.
    Video recording has already started in the developers realm... search this forum as threads already exist. Linking audio with the video has become the challenge.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Ugh I really want video recording on my Pre.
    I don't know why it wouldn't be a high priority?

A lot of people want it, including me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    Ugh I really want video recording on my Pre.
    I don't know why it wouldn't be a high priority?

A lot of people want it, including me.
    There are other things that are more important...

Battery life
    Security
    Bugs
    Speed
    Unfinished code

etc....

Video Recording and VVM are just extra features that can always be added at any time.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    VVM isn't needed, just fully integrated Google Voice. The is better that visual VM, it is Visual, Sound and Text VM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    VVM isn't needed, just fully integrated Google Voice. The is better that visual VM, it is Visual, Sound and Text VM.
    But not everybody wants to use Google Voice. A lot of people probably don't even know what Google Voice does. VVM is a feature that can be used to appeal to the masses or those that do not have, or do not want, Google Voice accounts.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    There are other things that are more important...

Battery life
    Security
    Bugs
    Speed
    Unfinished code

etc....

Video Recording and VVM are just extra features that can always be added at any time.
    I understand fixing bugs and "unfinished code" . . .
    ... but video recording is a key feature on even medium-end phones.

For the average Pre user, they're looking to get most out of their Pre. Also, the average Pre user was told that video recording will come soon. I think they would rather see video recording than certain fixes that are barely noticeable.