Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1.    #1  
    Since I don't want to flood my Pre with Facebook contacts, I decided to add my own pictures for some of my contacts. The pictures look fine when they are a tiny thumbnail, but in the dialer, where the picture is larger, they look like absolute crap. Is this just an oversight in the OS or is there a special way these pictures need to be treated in order to look right on the Pre? The only contact pic that looks good is the Sprint logo when you call customer service.
  2. Tricia's Avatar
    Posts
    154 Posts
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    #2  
    If the resolution of the pic is low, when the Pre stretches it out to fill the screen it does look like crap, I agree. I only have one crappy pic but it's all I have. Contact pics I've taken with the phone, or ones I've cropped and transferred in are just fine.
  3. #3  
    If you are syncing with google it will lower the res of the pic.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricia View Post
    If the resolution of the pic is low, when the Pre stretches it out to fill the screen it does look like crap, I agree. I only have one crappy pic but it's all I have. Contact pics I've taken with the phone, or ones I've cropped and transferred in are just fine.
    I cropped and transferred mine in. What resolution did you use? I made all of mine 200X200, and in the image viewer the pics look fine, but when attached to a contact they look like crap.
  5. Tricia's Avatar
    Posts
    154 Posts
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    I cropped and transferred mine in. What resolution did you use? I made all of mine 200X200, and in the image viewer the pics look fine, but when attached to a contact they look like crap.
    I didn't make them a specific dimension, just made an approximate square and transferred it in. Better to make it a little big. Then when you select it to use for your contact, a square appears and you just drag it over the part of the pic you want to use. Voila!
  6.    #6  
    OK, I just figured out there are two ways to assign a picture to a contact. You can do it from within the image viewer, or from within the contact viewer. I assigned mine from within the contact viewer. I wonder if the results will be better doing it the other way.

    Also, it seems like the Pre wants the resolution to be 320X320, which is odd because they will never be displayed that large.
  7. Mikest's Avatar
    Posts
    429 Posts
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    #7  
    I keep mine about 500 pixels. I found much smaller than that they had a strange green line going through them on my contacts list.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    OK, I just figured out there are two ways to assign a picture to a contact. You can do it from within the image viewer, or from within the contact viewer. I assigned mine from within the contact viewer. I wonder if the results will be better doing it the other way.

    Also, it seems like the Pre wants the resolution to be 320X320, which is odd because they will never be displayed that large.
    Yes, there are two ways of doing it and the way you're doing it is a SW bug that has been reported to Palm and they have logged into their SW database. This was found back in 1.0.2 if I remember correctly.
  9. IMethos's Avatar
    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    #9  
    yea don't use Google or outlook, they use crap resolution.
    There's a site i use to crop all my huge photos and email them to myself
    Its called hellaphone.

    Cell Phone Wallpaper Maker - Hellaphone
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    yea don't use Google or outlook, they use crap resolution.
    There's a site i use to crop all my huge photos and email them to myself
    Its called hellaphone.

    Cell Phone Wallpaper Maker - Hellaphone
    I think I'm figuring this out. I'm going to mess with it more tonight post my findings.
  11. bbkat's Avatar
    Posts
    174 Posts
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    #11  
    This was posted a while ago. I haven't had time to try it yet. Hope it helps.
    How To Guide for Hi-Res Contact Photos on Pre
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbkat View Post
    This was posted a while ago. I haven't had time to try it yet. Hope it helps.
    How To Guide for Hi-Res Contact Photos on Pre
    Yes this works great, and the nice thing about this is that if you are using google as your default account it will copy the picture up to google down resing them in your gmail contacts, but the phone will retain the high res image. The images on google seem to be scaled pretty badly as they look like crap once copied out but they're never going to look very good at 90x90
  13. dcdttu#WN's Avatar
    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    #13  
    Yea, my FB and Google pics are too small when they make it to the Pre's high-res screen.
    Unless FB/Google sends the full quality pic, it probably won't change.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbkat View Post
    This was posted a while ago. I haven't had time to try it yet. Hope it helps.
    How To Guide for Hi-Res Contact Photos on Pre
    awesome, thanks for the great link! I ended up coming to the same conclusion.
  15. #15  
    Well, that's dissapointing. One of the things I did in advance of getting my Pre was going through my photo albums, cropping squares of friends and family, and assigning them in Gmail. I have noticed that the images that show up in the dialer are lower resolution than what I attached in Gmail.

    Is this a problem with Gmail on the sending side, or the Pre on the receiving end?
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimate_ed View Post
    Well, that's dissapointing. One of the things I did in advance of getting my Pre was going through my photo albums, cropping squares of friends and family, and assigning them in Gmail. I have noticed that the images that show up in the dialer are lower resolution than what I attached in Gmail.

    Is this a problem with Gmail on the sending side, or the Pre on the receiving end?
    Read the link provided above, Google only supports 96x96 images, you can assign high quality 320x320 images but you have to do it directly from your phone.
    Whatever you loaded for your contact images to gmail, it would have been downresed to 96x96, and won't look very good anywhere you view them.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    I keep mine about 500 pixels. I found much smaller than that they had a strange green line going through them on my contacts list.
    I am glad you said that. I am getting that also.
  18. #18  
    So is it my understanding that even if I go through all the steps from the Guide to High-Res Contacts that as soon as it syncs to Google that Google is going reformat them and make them Low res? Unfortunately Google Contacts is what I am using. Is there not anyway around this?
    Deano
  19. IMethos's Avatar
    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by floridadomer View Post
    So is it my understanding that even if I go through all the steps from the Guide to High-Res Contacts that as soon as it syncs to Google that Google is going reformat them and make them Low res? Unfortunately Google Contacts is what I am using. Is there not anyway around this?
    Deano
    read the thread again, if done on the phone they will always be high res, if done in outlook, google or facebook they will look like ****
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by floridadomer View Post
    So is it my understanding that even if I go through all the steps from the Guide to High-Res Contacts that as soon as it syncs to Google that Google is going reformat them and make them Low res? Unfortunately Google Contacts is what I am using. Is there not anyway around this?
    Deano
    No that is incorrect. Google will resize them to it's lower resolution and they will appear that way on the PC side, not your Pre. Your Pre will keep it's original size (higher res) regardless of the Google Synch (as long as your Pre picture was the initial source).

    Someone already mentioned this in the above posts.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions