Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The phone doesn't freeze up but the touch screen doesn't respond to touch. I can use the card button at the bottom and keyboard to do resets and type things. Going to try and get a replacement tomorrow.. in the mean time does any one else know of this problem or have a solution?
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    i had this problem with my first pre, went in and replaced it. i did find that mine started working again sometimes if i aggressively pressed on the screen sometimes. i got it working this way and was able to back some things up. def a hardware issue
    http://phwelo.mobi
    for any questions or to send a donation: phwelo@gmail.com
    This happens to me when the battery is almost dead...
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    this started happening to me 3 days ago... what i noticed, if i plug in the charger and move it a certain way it works.... and obviously vice versa. I did this like 7-8 times tell it worked, its not a fix... but it certainly is a work around.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by illskill View Post
    The phone doesn't freeze up but the touch screen doesn't respond to touch. I can use the card button at the bottom and keyboard to do resets and type things. Going to try and get a replacement tomorrow.. in the mean time does any one else know of this problem or have a solution?
    Did you try popping out the battery and letting it sit for a few minutes? Then put the battery back in and see if the screen works.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by santos View Post
    Did you try popping out the battery and letting it sit for a few minutes? Then put the battery back in and see if the screen works.
    yes 1st thing i tried..
    The same thing happened to my wife's pre. I have tried every software trick I can think of to make sure and see if it was a hardware issue versus software. To no avail, the touchscreen appears to be dead even though all other aspects of the phone work.
    Same thing happened to me last week. I was able to get it replaced free of charge through Sprint, though. For what it's worth, aggressively opening and closing the slider repeatedly would sometimes get it to work again for a bit, so I was able to get my pics off and read some texts that had come in.
    I took my first Pre back for this issue. My 2nd phone has been going strong with no problems.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Just started happening to me too. This really, really sucks. I can't seem to get it to work trying all the trick listed above. I dont wanna swap it.
    IT'S NOT A DAMN BLACKBERRY!....
    Add one more.... Mine went out RIGHT AFTER installing package manager 9.7. I clicked on "OK" to allow the Java Restart and that was all she wrote... I'm taking it to Sprint tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Add me...it just went ahead and died with no warning. Working, closed, 30 minutes later opened and screen was completely unresponsive. Just got my replacement from BB - 3rd Pre in 28 days. Heading to Sprint store tomorrow to sign up for insurance for sure.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Same thing happened to me. I was able to fix it temporarily by inserting the charging cable into the Pre (other end didn't even need to be plugged in), but this was only a temporary fix, and the touchscreen crapped out completely. I brought it to Sprint and they gave me what is now my third Pre. This happened about 6 weeks after I got the Pre, but they still didn't charge me because it was covered under the manufacturer's 1-year warranty.
    Happened to me with my first Pre, got it replaced and I haven't had any problems since. Make sure you run Doctor first, just so to be sure that Sprint doesn't complain about any of the apps or anything like that.
    I am on my second PRE in 2 months and for the last three days the touchscreen has been selectively working and not working. Turning it off by removing the battery doesn't work. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I went to Sprint yesterday and should be picking up my third PRE tomorrow.

Do I need to remove all my homebrewed Apps before i turn it it. I really don't want to give my phone back, im tired of going through screen protectors because my PRE keeps crapping on me.
    Not much constructive to offer (unless the remote erase happens to fix it), but I've also lost my touchscreen today. It acted a little catty yesterday but only for a minute or so. Figured it was "thinking" and just continued about my business. Unfortunately this morning it was well and truly locked. So, I'm trying the remote full erase to see if that helps...

Similar thing happened to my wife's Pre. Price you pay for first generation I guess.

Good news is that the local Sprint store has been great to work with in getting replacements!

UPDATE: Although the remote erase ability is pretty slick, it did not fix my issue. Oddly enough, plugging in the microUSB cable temporarily fixed it, but as soon as I unplugged the touchscreen was dead again... Not able to bring it back now.

Oh well, back to the Sprint store!
    Last edited by garrison2112; 10/13/2009 at 08:32 AM.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    I just started having the same problem. The touch screen works when the MicroUSB is plugged in, but does not respond when unplugged. Got it to work a couple times last night, but it seemed random and not due to any of the things I tried.
    Wife's just did this last night as well...Cannot get it to respond with the usb plugged in either. Hers was suffering from the oreo effect as well.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Hey guys, here's the official Palm response to this issue on their support forums...

"Please call palm tech support hotline at 877-426-3777. they can help you test your device to check whether it's broken or not. If it's broken then you have to submit it for repair. The repair charges are free since your device is still within the 1yr warranty.
    You can also opt to consult sprint for replacement since they have changed their warranty policy from 30 days to 1 year.

I maybe logging in this forum between 9am-6pm EST, mondays thru Fridays. I will respond or reply on any postings that I have knowledge of. I may respond to some PM's but it will depend on the message sent so most likely i will not reply on those messages. Thanks."
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Guess I'll be taking mine back to the Sprint Store again today. :\

At least the Pre is pretty painless to switch out, with all of my contacts stored in FB, Gmail, AIM, etc.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast