Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1. sweat's Avatar
    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
       #1  
    I cannot get through a day without charging, and I'm not a power user. So, I'm looking for suggestions on what I can do to improve the battery life.

    For example, yesterday, I took the phone off of the charger (100% charge at 9am). By 6pm, the charge was at 18%

    Between 9:45am and 1 pm, I made a couple of very short calls (less than 5 minutes each), spent a few minutes on Tweed (maybe 5), used Google (about 10 minutes) and checked Google maps for directions for a few minutes and then had the card minimized for about 30 minutes. I checked the calendar briefly (about a 1 minute or 2, twice.) When I was done with an app, I closed the card (as opposed to just minimizing it.)

    The rest of the time, the phone was not being used, with no cards opened. The screen shuts off after 30 seconds, though I'm good about turning off the display when not using the phone.

    Bluetooth was turned on, but I didn't have my headset on. I was on highways in the Chicago metro area, so service should have been pretty decent through out the day. WiFi was off. I sync my calendar with Google.

    I've also noticed that during the weekday (Pandora for less than 2 hours, Tweed for 15 minutes, may be 30-45 minutes of calls, and meeting reminders), my phone is pretty low by the time I get home from work.

    It sounds like some of you are getting better battery life than I am. So, what can I do to make the battery last longer?

    Thanks in advance.
  2. #2  
    Sweat, you may want to peruse this thread and see if it's helpful to you at all:

    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...tery-life.html
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by sweat View Post
    I cannot get through a day without charging, and I'm not a power user. So, I'm looking for suggestions on what I can do to improve the battery life.
    How long have you had the phone? Battery life usually improves after several weeks of nightly charging.

    If you don't need roaming, disable it by going into the phone network preferences and change from "automatic" to "Sprint only."

    If you don't use blue tooth regularly, try turning it off until you need it.

    Do you have email set up and how often does it check for mail? I have 3 IMAP accounts and have them set to check "as items arrive."

    If you don't use GPS that much, you can turn it off under location services until you need it. I leave mine on and get through a whole day without any problems.

    You can also get extended batteries. There are 2 that are the same physical size as the original 1150mAh battery. Seidio makes one that is 1350mAh and Amzer makes one that is 1400mAh. Anything larger will require a new rear cover.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post

    You can also get extended batteries. There are 2 that are the same physical size as the original 1150mAh battery. Seidio makes one that is 1350mAh and Amzer makes one that is 1400mAh. Anything larger will require a new rear cover.
    Not to hijack the fledgling thread, but do either of these work with the touchstone? I think I remember reading somewhere that extended batteries don't work with the touchstone. It may or may not be true, however.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by THAANSA3 View Post
    Not to hijack the fledgling thread, but do either of these work with the touchstone? I think I remember reading somewhere that extended batteries don't work with the touchstone. It may or may not be true, however.
    I don't have any of them, but many people on these forums have them and have said that they work fine with the touchstone.

    The problem is with the physically larger extended batteries which require a larger rear cover. Those don't work with the touchstone, although Seido says theirs does but reports are hit and miss.

    Edit: Just to correct a mistake - Seidio makes a case that claims to work with the touchstone, which fits over the original rear cover, it doesn't replace it. As of now, I don't know of any extended battery covers that works with the touchstone.
    Last edited by Trekker; 08/09/2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Clarification
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    I don't have any of them, but many people on these forums have them and have said that they work fine with the touchstone.

    The problem is with the physically larger extended batteries which require a larger rear cover. Those don't work with the touchstone, although Seido says theirs does but reports are hit and miss.
    Thanks, Trekker. I'm definitely going to do some research on that to see what I can dig up. Thanks again.
  7. sweat's Avatar
    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
       #7  
    Trekker,

    I bought the phone the first day it came out. Sprint replaced the battery about 3 weeks later, for a completely different problem and I've had that battery since.

    I don't have the phone check email, just the calendar. (I do have Evernote installed as well.)

    I've had GPS shut off so the programs prompt me to use location services.

    As far the link, I've done most of the tips in there, including lowering screen brightness. I'll have to check the flash settings.
  8. #8  
    If you haven't already, you could try a reboot. I know my Centro and Treo 800w would sporadically have a bad battery day, once or twice a month for no identifiable reason. Reboots usually took care of it.

    Did you turn off roaming? What about Evernote, how often does it sync? I tried it for about 15 minutes, didn't care for it and deleted it.
  9. #9  
    I've been told to do full drain over course of day (to 6%) followed by full charge overnight...once a month. Did mine this past week and it went from 10% drain per hour to 3-5% per hour drain on minimal use.

    otherwise, charge at 40% to full....straight shot overnight.
    ***I Twitter***

    Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    I've been told to do full drain over course of day (to 6%) followed by full charge overnight...once a month. Did mine this past week and it went from 10% drain per hour to 3-5% per hour drain on minimal use.

    otherwise, charge at 40% to full....straight shot overnight.
    This, too, is what I've heard. I remember going to play around with the Pre a little while back, and I was told that it's a good idea to let the battery completely drain for a few days upon getting it to "condition" the battery. Again, I don't know how much truth there is to that, especially since I've heard it's not a good thing to do with Lithium batteries, so take that with a grain of salt.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by THAANSA3 View Post
    This, too, is what I've heard. I remember going to play around with the Pre a little while back, and I was told that it's a good idea to let the battery completely drain for a few days upon getting it to "condition" the battery.
    I've never done the full drain thing. As soon as I got the phone (or a new battery) I would start charging it right away, usually overnight or 24 hours and then just charged it each night when I went to sleep.

    After a few weeks, battery life would improve.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by THAANSA3 View Post
    This, too, is what I've heard. I remember going to play around with the Pre a little while back, and I was told that it's a good idea to let the battery completely drain for a few days upon getting it to "condition" the battery. Again, I don't know how much truth there is to that, especially since I've heard it's not a good thing to do with Lithium batteries, so take that with a grain of salt.
    thats why the thing I read said only do it once a month after the battery has been conditioned.
    ***I Twitter***

    Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
  13. #13  
    hi sweat. well i had good battery life until 1.1 was released. afterwards i would have to charge 2X a day. i did a reset and now my battery lasts me from 9am to 11 pm with about 15% battery and i am a moderate user. here is how it is done:

    launcher>device info> (scroll to bottom)reset options>partial erase.

    MAKE SURE YOU ARE BEING BACKED UP BY PALM. It will take a while for it to reboot and pull your info from the palm servers. but after that your phone will be all set with all your contacts, apps, and info. hopefuly this works for you let me know.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by harold42483 View Post
    MAKE SURE YOU ARE BEING BACKED UP BY PALM. It will take a while for it to reboot and pull your info from the palm servers. but after that your phone will be all set with all your contacts, apps, and info. hopefuly this works for you let me know.
    One thing that sucks is that it doesn't save your bookmarks. I hope they fix that at some point.
  15. Kedar's Avatar
    Posts
    994 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    #15  
    Yes, by letting the phone go down to 0%'ish and charging it all the way back up you are calibrating it.
    You're telling the battery how long it can last, basically.

    So yes, calibrate the battery once a month.

    Lithium-ion battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Go to: "Guidelines for prolonging Li-ion battery life"

    Other than that, check the guide in Post 2. Use Wifi when available, turn off when not. Turn off Bluetooth. Lower screen brightness slightly.
    Check your signal. When you are using your Pre, how many bars?
    Having a strenuous signal can be a leading cause to the drop in battery life.
  16. sweat's Avatar
    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
       #16  
    harold42483 - I upgraded to the latest OS whenever it was released. I'll try your suggestion on rebooting (and yeah, my phone is getting backed up every other day.)

    Regarding WiFi, should I leave it on or off most of the time? I've heard conflicting answers on this. My office does not have wifi, but I do have it at home.
  17. #17  
    Are you logged into IM? I found that if I'm logged into im and the signal is week by battery drains really fast, but if my signal is strong it is not so fast (still have 50% at end of day). This is since 1.1. I logged off my IM and get much better battery life now regardless of signal strength, so I log in only when I need to.
  18. mugsaway's Avatar
    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    #18  
    How do I know if I am being backed by palm?
  19. m0unds's Avatar
    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    #19  
    just go into the menu, third page of icons (unless you moved it) and tap the "backup" app. then it should tell you the time of your last backup.

    i found that the two biggest drains on my pre, with my own normal use were 1. the new device/gadget factor..which meant i was just playing too much and 2. the location services (as others mentioned) i don't use sprint nav often, and if i need it, it prompts to enable the gps so it's not a huge hassle to have it off unless you're constantly having to turn it on and off.

    i also found it helpful to get a cheap (but decent) mini-usb cable off of monoprice.com to plug my pre into my computer at work as a charging solution.
  20. sweat's Avatar
    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
       #20  
    What's the best way to handle wifi? Keep it off when not using a wifi network or always on?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions