Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    Now if Sprint could actually take advantage of this.

Carrier Wars: Sprint speed test results : Boy Genius Report
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    I think this supports my confusion with the public perception that sprint service sucks. I've had all the major carriers and i do a good deal of traveling and there is a reason i'm with sprint, its not cost (It does give me the warm and fuzzies though) and its not the Pre. Its the customer service and reliability i get with them.
    If you get service sprint is great. Their issue has always been once you leave the good sprint areas it goes down hill rapidly. Their frequency is also terrible for building penetration.

Its not just about the devices because verizon has been lacking in that area for awhile now ywt they continue to do well.

AT&T has oversold their once great network. Sprint doesn't have that issue since they have been hemoraging subs for a few years now.
    Last edited by Aridon; 08/08/2009 at 06:38 PM.
    I could have told ya that I have many AT&T friends showing them how slow there network is well its one of my favorite things to do
    My device history. Casio A-10/Cassiopeia E-100/PPC6600/PPC6700/700wx/Moto Q/PPC6700/Mogul/Touch/Mogul/700wx/800w/Touch Pro/Touch Diamond/Palm Pre/Touch Pro
    Sprint always had a great network since when they had 55 millions subs.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    I think this supports my confusion with the public perception that sprint service sucks. I've had all the major carriers and i do a good deal of traveling and there is a reason i'm with sprint, its not cost (It does give me the warm and fuzzies though) and its not the Pre. Its the customer service and reliability i get with them.
    +1
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    This isnt anything new. Sprint has always had the fastest service, ATT only pretends. Personally I can deal with the bad customer service. You can deny the cheap plans and super fast data speeds.
    This is yet another test proving Sprint is the fastest at data. Their network had a lot of issues 3 - 4 years ago but they have been leading for a while.

The best thing about this test is that they got a lot of measurements from a lot of locations making this a very compelling and valid test.

- Verizon has the best coverage.
    - Sprint is the fastest and tied with Verizon for voice quality.
    - AT&T has the iPhone....ok, and international roaming.

I would love to be able to switch phones with a SIM card swap but the constant speaker and headset buzzing from GSM phone interfearance is not worth it. I hate it when I am on a con call and someone's GSM phone is buzzing the call every 3 minutes.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    This is all good news (and known by us who are using the sprint network). But you also have to take into account that Sprint has less than half the subscribers compared to Verizon and At&T. So obviously the less traffic makes an impact as well.
    But I am all for Spring kicking AT&T down.
    In my state, all government cellular comms. related to hurricane relief is through Sprint. Either that or it will be soon. I fully expect for AT&T reps to soon have their lobbyist bawling to congress about, "It's not fair that we have to provide competitive technologies at fair prices. We should have equal share in e-comms. Just look at all of the top quality dog **** that we are contractually obligated to provide at quadruple the fair market price." Basically, it's the same thing they did when we tried updating from ATM circuits to Metro Ethernet. AT&T is a big reason that taxpayers get jack **** from their government.
    I dont buy the whole but ATT and Verizon have more subscribers excuses....

Sprint has far more data centric users either the of the 2.....ATT and especially Verizon Wireless both have a majority of subs that only subscribe to voice services.
    Any idea if there is a solution in the future for poor building penetration due to the frequency. I came over from T-Mobile for the Pre and spend my work day in a hospital, voice signal with Sprint has been poor - fair. T-Mobile was always excellent during the 10 years i was their customer.

Yes, but with a Pre and its required plan, you get free roaming, which means you are using Verizon's network, but paying a lot less money. So, advantage Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaki View Post
    This is all good news (and known by us who are using the sprint network). But you also have to take into account that Sprint has less than half the subscribers compared to Verizon and At&T. So obviously the less traffic makes an impact as well.
    This doesn't make much sense to me. First, AT&T has about 80 million subscribers and Verizon has about 89 million. Sprint has about 49 million now. So Neither AT&T nor Verizon has double Sprint's subscriber base so "less than half" is far enough off to warrant pointing out.

Additionally, systems are scaled to support the throughput required by the existing subscriber base. I don't know enough to quantify the effect but just because Sprint has fewer customers does not mean their network is less busy. A pipe that can handle 50 GPS flow that is accommodating 49 is pretty busy compared to one that can handle 100 and only has 75 going through it.

Now I would guess that Sprint's network is operating farther below their capacity since they have lost subscribers and Verizon has gained. But it is not like they are using the same pipes in their networks.

Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post

Yes, but with a Pre and its required plan, you get free roaming, which means you are using Verizon's network, but paying a lot less money. So, advantage Sprint.
    That is an advantage. However, their network is so much slower...
    Palms and more Palms till the 700p ruined it for me. Blackberry and now the Pre. Sprint customer since 1994! They had 1 tower in town.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Couldn't have said it better myself!
    when people ask what service you have and you say "Sprint," it seems to have the same effect that the word "Vista" has when people ask what OS you run...

just a tainted view of the provider that seems to spread from person to person.

As for me, i've been using Sprint for years and never had an issue. Even bad CS reps will break when you throw a hissy fit on the phone about your bill Not that you should have to...
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I've had sprint for the last 10 years in NYC and I've been pretty happy with them.

And yes when I tell people I have sprint they get this look on my face like why?
    Meanwhile people I know that have AT&T have issues with the service all the time
    see while i use sprint in my area , because its the only service i can afford , my friends old 3g iphone seems to be fast loading things then my palm pre , which when i read this its makes me wonder why i have such the oppsite experience.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Any AT&T friends of mine constantly show me how they're always on the EDGE Network, never the 3G network. My sister is constantly on the EDGE Network when she's home.
    AT&T, in some of their commercials, claims they are the fastest.

I believe that's a lie.
    Sprint's "Now" Commercials are award-winning, and I think they're the best.