Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. tricex2's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
       #1  
    Is there a "safe for work" site for info on the PreDevCamp? I'm trying to keep up with whats going on but half the sites I can find are blocked here at work.
    One can find consistency even in inconsistency.
  2. diomark's Avatar
    Posts
    752 Posts
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    #2  
    Why not just watch on the actual site? preDevCamp Live

    -mark
  3. tricex2's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by tricex2 View Post
    I'm trying to keep up with whats going on but half the sites I can find are blocked here at work.

    Is Why.
    One can find consistency even in inconsistency.
  4. Jaer57's Avatar
    Posts
    160 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    #5  
    I just got home from my local PreDevCamp (Baltimore). It went really well and it was great to meet with some other aspiring Pre developers. I definitely learned some things, and it looks like there's enough interest that our local organizers might make it a recurring event.

    Also, it was great to receive a free copy of Mitch Allen's Palm webOS book! It's much easier than navigating through the PDF. Thanks to all of those who organized these events! Looks like we're in for a lot of really cool applications to come!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
  5. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by tricex2 View Post
    Is there a "safe for work" site for info on the PreDevCamp? I'm trying to keep up with whats going on but half the sites I can find are blocked here at work.
    You should complain about it to your supervisor/manager/HR department and see if they can help you out.
  6. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaer57 View Post
    I just got home from my local PreDevCamp (Baltimore). It went really well and it was great to meet with some other aspiring Pre developers. I definitely learned some things, and it looks like there's enough interest that our local organizers might make it a recurring event.

    Also, it was great to receive a free copy of Mitch Allen's Palm webOS book! It's much easier than navigating through the PDF. Thanks to all of those who organized these events! Looks like we're in for a lot of really cool applications to come!
    Awesome! Thanks for the report. I'd personally appreciate hearing reports from other events too. How many people would you estimate showed up? Was it run well? If a Palm rep was there, did they have any intel?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  7. tricex2's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    You should complain about it to your supervisor/manager/HR department and see if they can help you out.
    If only it were that easy Trekker, but your sarcasm is noted. On a lighter note thnx for the heads up Jaer, I was hoping to see or hear about some actual developing going on during the show. I thought we may have a slew of new apps being posted from the camp but I've only noticed one new one in the HB listings. Was it really as tedious to develop there as I've been hearing about?
    One can find consistency even in inconsistency.
  8. #9  
    lol
  9. Jaer57's Avatar
    Posts
    160 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for the report. I'd personally appreciate hearing reports from other events too. How many people would you estimate showed up? Was it run well? If a Palm rep was there, did they have any intel?
    We had about 20 people or so, but no Palm reps. I believe one of the California groups had Palm people, though. I heard the DC group was around the same size. I think our organizer ran it very well. There was a varying level of experience there in terms of programming experience and Palm Pre SDK experience, so those more experienced programmers who were familiar with the SDK walked us through getting everything set up, and started on our first apps. Those who already had an app or app idea were able to use the help of the group to further their app or solve a debug issue. We didn't get any intel on any upcoming updates or app store stuff, unfortunately. Overall I'm glad I went and think I'll be a better app developer for it. I'm looking forward to future meetings.
    Last edited by Jaer57; 08/09/2009 at 09:18 AM.
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
  10. Jaer57's Avatar
    Posts
    160 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by tricex2 View Post
    If only it were that easy Trekker, but your sarcasm is noted. On a lighter note thnx for the heads up Jaer, I was hoping to see or hear about some actual developing going on during the show. I thought we may have a slew of new apps being posted from the camp but I've only noticed one new one in the HB listings. Was it really as tedious to develop there as I've been hearing about?
    We didn't have any apps created from scratch at our meeting outside of mini apps to prove a concept. One person from our group had a cool game app he is getting ready for submission to the app store, but I don't think he's going to release it as a homebrew. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more homebrews in the near future, though.
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
  11. xorg's Avatar
    Posts
    633 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    #12  
    The KC camp went pretty well. About 40-50 or so out of 100 registered showed up. They switched venues day before to another part of metro, so probably impacted attendance. I think they were hoping for 80. Even heard someone from St. Louis was there and made the 4 hour drive.

    A Sprint engineer was there and showed how to do location based services (gps) apps with Sprint Sandbox. Rick Boatright from webosinternals was there and showed how to port javascript apps to mojo. Handmark was there and a dude showed how to use mojo storage. There were 6 tables for breakout sessions off to the side. I got out of it what I needed to kickstart my next project.

    KC represents. Pretty well organized. Looking forward to next. I offered to present on rooting/hacking next time but they are reluctant given Sprint participation and sponsorship. I was surprised how many iPhone developers were there who do not have a Pre yet.

    Can watch the sessions here...
    predevcampkc on USTREAM: This is a live stream of PreDevCamp Kansas City. Conference
  12. #13  
    On topic, you can always use bipassing programs. Take a flash drive, or e-mail yourself Ultrasurf, or see if Ninja Cloak | Fast, free, anonymous web browsing with NinjaCloak.com is blocked or not. If not, you can use websites through that. I always used Ultrasurf. Very easy to use. UltraSurf

Posting Permissions