Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just wanted to let any of you worried about not being able to install homebrew apps and setting it up on Pre - But really want to.

I just followed the PreCentral Homebrew Quick Install Procedures and it was simple and painless and now I have several really cool apps on my Pre. I have no clue as to coding or any technical computer things and I ran into no problems at all.

I shut off developers mode and will only install apps listed through File Coaster. I am so excited about this!

Here is a link to the procedure I followed: http://www.precentral.net/how-to-install-homebrew-apps

BTW I am on a Mac and didnt have to do anything special.

Darrin
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    yea, its much easier than i originally thought. Worth doing it!
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Can't agree more. It was very easy to do and totally worth it.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Me too just did it now im loving my pre more than ever
    Ditto! A job well done to the developers of webOS Quick Install and Filecoaster! (I don't know if I should be saying this but...) I donated to them and would encourage anyone else to do so, well worth it!
    I too installed the filecoaster following pre centrals directions the only problem I had was that after it down loaded the 195mb file the install just stoped so I tried it again and same thing I had to find the file and manully click on it after that everything else went as expected.

Now I feel as though I am verry capable of rooting my Pre I just have no desire to do so just to install a few apps so I will get my apps from filecoaster only with the exception of mytether which I am waiting to see how it works after a few Pre updates just curious if they will disable that somehow.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I have rooted my Pre and now have all the missing features,ie:text fowarding and time and date stamp,display rotates for e-mai, change dialer to custom background, and many many others! Getting Homebrew installed is a breeze!! You don't have to root to get Homebrew apps, just follow the simple directions. These guys are awsome!! Love my Pre more than ever!!
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    I have rooted my Pre and now have all the missing features,ie:text fowarding and time and date stamp,display rotates for e-mai, change dialer to custom background, and many many others! Getting Homebrew installed is a breeze!! You don't have to root to get Homebrew apps, just follow the simple directions. These guys are awsome!! Love my Pre more than ever!!
    *sigh* I want a custom dialer ... I have rooted, but Im a little fearful about the steps to do things like the dialer. They seem a bit not as clear cut as Id like them to be, to be REALLY at ease doing it..

But I also found the instructions for WebOs Quick INstall, and getting File coaster up and running, to be really easy to follow, and worked right away. GOOD JOB on that to all involved

I just wish a Homebrew app for doing that stuff was readily available.. but alas it isnt..
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I would like to teather and be able to foward text but might get me in over my head
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I would like to teather and be able to foward text but might get me in over my head
    Tethering is fairly easy and straight foward.. dont fear it, just find good directions, they are posted in several places here.

As for text forwarding, thats another story, that does require mucking around in the linux.. just as my dialer theme is somewhere in there...
    I too installed and now I cannot find the file. Can anyone help?
    Quote Originally Posted by rivarat462 View Post
    What file cant you find?
    try looking in the same location where you told the original file you downloaded to go..
    When I did the WebOs Quick INstall, It showed it downloaded then nothing happened. It never prompted me to a location
    When I did the WebOs Quick INstall, It showed it downloaded then nothing happened. It never prompted me to a location
    Where did you find yours?
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I've tried searching this but no luck.. when i click the "Install!" button it says searching for device and then a thing pops up that says error 1: connection refused and it says connect so i click ok and then another thing pops up that says error: no device found. how do i fix this so i can finally finish all this!? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  17. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    edited--nevermind found my own answer.
    Last edited by ame; 08/08/2009 at 10:43 PM.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Do the same thing you did to get on to it. the upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart thingy and turn it off anf restart

Can anyone help with my problem!!?
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbphotos View Post
    I too installed the filecoaster following pre centrals directions the only problem I had was that after it down loaded the 195mb file the install just stoped so I tried it again and same thing I had to find the file and manully click on it after that everything else went as expected.

Now I feel as though I am verry capable of rooting my Pre I just have no desire to do so just to install a few apps so I will get my apps from filecoaster only with the exception of mytether which I am waiting to see how it works after a few Pre updates just curious if they will disable that somehow.
    my tether is incredible....and dont worry about updates the dev said if an update in the future messes it up he'll be making updates to make it work again
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Trying to DL the webos install so i can install filecoaster. just says the server cant be found. anyone have the file they can email me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast