Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    It seems that the Pre can expand certain abbreviations. So far I've found
    u =you
    ASAP = as soon as possible

Is there some way to add more / delete some in Pre?

Thank you.

--
    janrif
    ridgefield ct usa
    There is also:

r = are

There doesn't appear to be a way to add or delete.
    r and u are not abbreviations, they're just a butchering of the English language.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Search for autoreplace.
    -mark
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    r and u are not abbreviations, they're just a butchering of the English language.
    can we PLEASE not go here again? Why auto-correction on SMS?
    You can undo the auto-correction by pressing the backspace key once. There are lots of apostrophe shortcuts:

id -> I'd
    ive -> I've
    im -> I'm
    youre -> you're
    youve -> you've
    cant -> can't (also works for other "nt" combinations like won't and shouldn't)

and so on. I'd really like to remove "id" from the auto-correction list. Everytime I type "ID" as in "patient ID" or "photo ID" I have to undo the auto-correction. Is there a way to turn it off altogether? I don't really need it.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post
    You can undo the auto-correction by pressing the backspace key once. There are lots of apostrophe shortcuts:

id -> I'd
    ive -> I've
    im -> I'm
    youre -> you're
    youve -> you've
    cant -> can't (also works for other "nt" combinations like won't and shouldn't)

and so on. I'd really like to remove "id" from the auto-correction list. Everytime I type "ID" as in "patient ID" or "photo ID" I have to undo the auto-correction. Is there a way to turn it off altogether? I don't really need it.
    If you root your Pre you can edit the list. I removed id, ill, and im myself.
    Does anyone have any idea why 'u' expands to 'you', but 'U' doesn't expand to 'You'? Instead, it changes it to the lowercase 'you'. So if you type this as the first word in your text message, or after a period, you have to manually type it out or it won't come out capitalized. I know this is silly and it's only 2 extra letters, which I really don't mind typing, but it's bugging me because every single other autocorrect that I've tried keeps the correct capitalization except for 'U'. I've even tried rooting in and adding it as it's own entry in the autoreplace dictionary, but that didn't work either. I'm just baffled and it's driving me crazy. Any clues?
    is there any way to remove the u to you, cause in other languages "u" means something and it always changes it to you
    You do not need to root your Pre to change or add to you Autocorrect.

You just need to use Autocorrect.

f u do it pls stop.

(If you do it please stop.) At least here.

Use English in our forums. You can set up IESpell or similar to make the same corrections here for you at PreCentral.

- Craig
    I generally use proper English, but as a New Yorker, telling someone you're on the R train can get really annoying.
    i think mr = Mr.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    So was 'ain't' at one time and yet now you can find it in Webster's. I love anything that makes texts a little less painful to read.
    Quote Originally Posted by biggnaa20 View Post
    So was 'ain't' at one time and yet now you can find it in Webster's. I love anything that makes texts a little less painful to read.
    Nope, "ain't" still is. Doesn't make it any less so now that it's in the dictionary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post

f u do it pls stop.

(If you do it please stop.) At least here.

Use English in our forums. You can set up IESpell or similar to make the same corrections here for you at PreCentral.

- Craig

Where Can I download AUtocorrect, I don't see a link for the actual IPK anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post

- Craig
    I think you are being misleading here man. The very first line of that post says:
    AutoCorrect Edit (Rooting Required)
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Hmm, actually, as it turns out, it seems any of the single letter autocorrects don't do the capitalization correctly. I just happened to start a sentence with "R", intending for it to autocorrect to "Are", but it came out as "are" instead. So I guess there's something in the coding that lets multiple letter words retain the correct capitalization when the autocorrect function recognizes it as the beginning of a new sentence, but single characters that are intended to expand into multi-character words get lowercased. Interesting. Well, the only two single letter expansions that I have (other than "i" automatically changing to "I") are "u" and "r", so I guess I'll just go back to typing them out properly like I used to before I ever had an autoreplace function.
    Ok, I'm probably the only person on these boards that actually cares about this, but I finally figured out why some autocorrects keep their capitalization when they expand and some don't. It has nothing to do with being a single letter correction at all, which I found out when I started adding entries to my autocorrect dictionary. It's all about whether or not the first letter is the same pre-autocorrect as post-autocorrect. For example, I added "yr|your" and "ur|you're" to my autocorrect dictionary. When you start typing either of these as the first word in a sentence, "Yr" will expand to "Your" with correct capitalization because they both start with "y", but "Ur" expands to lowercase "you're" because they start with different letters. Knowing this, I've gone through my dictionary and tried to make my autocorrects all start with the same letter as much as possible. I now have "yr|your" and "yre|you're", as well as "bcuz|because" (instead of "cuz|because").

I blame my mother for all of this anal retentiveness - she's an English teacher, so correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation was drummed into me from an early age. It's not my fault!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    I think you are being misleading here man. The very first line of that post says:
    AutoCorrect Edit (Rooting Required)

That post is from 7/17/09.... the application no longer requires rooting.

- I use AutoCorrectEdit it's a great app.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
    Quote Originally Posted by biggnaa20 View Post
    Slightly off-topic (but only slightly), being in Webster's doesn't mean it's not buthering the language. It's a group of definitions, not an instruction manual.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast