Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    So I went to the Sprint store this morning because I was on my 2nd replacement phone (1st one had hairline cracks on screen, 2nd did the soft reset during slide) and it was soft resetting when I slide the screen down. The guy didn't replace it but he did tell me to "gently" slide down the screen (duh) and that he went and ordered a new Palm battery that apparently is slightly bigger to fix the "loose battery" issue.

    Anyone else heard this? I'm supposed to get the "new" battery this coming week. We'll see what happens. As of right now, I have more pieces of paper in the back of my phone than my printer.
  2. #2  
    Yes there is a new battery that helps with some but not all. I still think it's the battery tray that's the problem and not the battery.

    Also be careful with how much paper you use. that area is very flexable and could be flexing causing you more trouble then it's fixing.

    I used a small piece Plastic cut from a package about 1/2 inch long and just over 1/8 thick stuck right at the Pulltab to hold it in place. I have had no resets since going this route and I have 2 batteries.
  3. pieler8's Avatar
    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    #3  
    Got my third different battery this morning from the local Sprint store. The second battery was so much worse than the first one so we'll see how this goes. Might have to try the plastic trick mentioned above.

    I was using the Golf GPS app all morning (works amazing by the way), except my phone kept reseting every other hole. haha, made the trip to Sprint on the way home and they replaced the batt.
    Last edited by pieler8; 08/08/2009 at 02:22 PM.
  4. Jordus's Avatar
    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    #4  
    My battery is VERY tight in the phone (production date of late june)

    In fact, it wont come out unless i use the plastic pull tab. Its very snug.

    However i do have the every so slight oreo when closed (as all of us do) and some OS bugs.
  5. Rhody's Avatar
    Posts
    703 Posts
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordus View Post
    However i do have the every so slight oreo when closed (as all of us do) and some OS bugs.
    I don't.
  6. eji930's Avatar
    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    #6  
    Im sorry but I would REFUSE to put a piece of paper in a brand new device or hell ANY cellphone I decide to own..I would laugh at the reps face if they said "hey just stick some paper back there!"...Did the phone come with paper? does ANY cell phone come with a piece of paper to hold in a battery? hell no so I wouldn't settle for less
  7. janrif's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ImNoPrince View Post
    Yes there is a new battery that helps with some but not all. I still think it's the battery tray that's the problem and not the battery.[snip]
    Does this new battery address fit or longevity problems?

    Thanks.
  8. #8  
    I think they are both related. If the battery is not fitting who knows what signals the system is getting both during charge or when it's running causing it to either not charge correctly or drain looking for it's power.

    I use the TouchStone and When at WOrk I get a full day with no problem and end up around 50% or around 12hrs of general use. I use it for Twitter so I get a ton of SMS (only run Tweed sometimes) . But compared to my other Phones I think my Battery life is very acceptable but this might be because I have a good battery connection.


    bipolar Where I do agree with you I work in the electronics field in service so a small fix like this for me is no big issue at all. Now if other things start to go wrong this will be one more thing I can use to get a replacement . For those not wanting to tis ten I would recommend them to return their PRE , the bigger problem is you might get one that is no better or with more problems then the one with just a battery issue.

    I also did this fix before it became know and didn't get it from a service rep ,just something I noticed when I got my Phone on launch day and didn't like the way the battery sat in it and noticed the Shutdown when I closed it hard.
    Last edited by ImNoPrince; 08/08/2009 at 07:31 PM.
  9. #9  
    If you hold your battery face up (read Palm Logo)...and look at the top ''legs'' of the battery, you should find some grooves in them. this is a GOOD battery and does not do the reset on close. But a lot of Pre's came with a defective battery that did not have those grooves thus they would reset the phone, bc not locked in, if the slider slammed shut. My sprint repair guy caught this and showed me the two different batteries.
    ***I Twitter***

    Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    If you hold your battery face up (read Palm Logo)...and look at the top ''legs'' of the battery, you should find some grooves in them. this is a GOOD battery and does not do the reset on close. But a lot of Pre's came with a defective battery that did not have those grooves thus they would reset the phone, bc not locked in, if the slider slammed shut. My sprint repair guy caught this and showed me the two different batteries.
    I have these "legs" on top of bottom of the battery and the phone is still resetting.

    Here's a thing I noticed as well - I kinda have to lower the screen "gently" but not so gently that it looks ridiculous. But if I just let the screen slide back down by itself by just pushing it down a few centimeters, I think that slight jolt resets the phone.

    So I questions is this - is it really a battery issue or is it that when you shut the screen and it "jolts", it is equivalent to slamming a computer down on a desk and damaging some internal parts and it having to do a forced reset? Just a thought. I noticed that it depends on the pressure of the close is when the phone resets.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by chiliu78 View Post
    I have these "legs" on top of bottom of the battery and the phone is still resetting.

    Here's a thing I noticed as well - I kinda have to lower the screen "gently" but not so gently that it looks ridiculous. But if I just let the screen slide back down by itself by just pushing it down a few centimeters, I think that slight jolt resets the phone.

    So I questions is this - is it really a battery issue or is it that when you shut the screen and it "jolts", it is equivalent to slamming a computer down on a desk and damaging some internal parts and it having to do a forced reset? Just a thought. I noticed that it depends on the pressure of the close is when the phone resets.
    but do the legs (above the palm logo) have the grooves/divit IN the legs? Its a build quality issue with the battery. The groove/divet help the battery catch onto something so it doesn't move when you close the slider. I wish I had a good camera to take a picture but its a really old dig camera.
    ***I Twitter***

    Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    but do the legs (above the palm logo) have the grooves/divit IN the legs? Its a build quality issue with the battery. The groove/divet help the battery catch onto something so it doesn't move when you close the slider. I wish I had a good camera to take a picture but its a really old dig camera.
    The thing is though, I've had the SAME battery since day one but cycled through 2 replacements. I've never had this issue with my first Pre. I'm starting to wonder if it's an actual hardware issue.

    Anyone want to test this? Slide the screen down "forcibly" and see what happens. I mean not slam it but do force it down a little with more pressure than usual and see if the phone resets.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    but do the legs (above the palm logo) have the grooves/divit IN the legs? Its a build quality issue with the battery. The groove/divet help the battery catch onto something so it doesn't move when you close the slider. I wish I had a good camera to take a picture but its a really old dig camera.
    Yep...have the divits.
  14. Jordus's Avatar
    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    I don't.
    Ive held a dozen or more of these phones and every single one of them moves ever so slightly clockwise. Im convinced that all do the slight (maybe a millimeter) but the few severe ones go very far clockwise.
  15.    #15  
    Guys...here's the deal. There IS a new battery our for the Palm Pre from Palm. I just got it in the mail and looked at the two. The new one is EVER so slightly bigger but the difference is HUGE. I put it in the Palm and it was snug tight. I closed my phone and it doesn't shut down. I even forcibly slammed it closed just to make sure and it stayed on!
  16. #16  
    So can we go to the Sprint Store and get the battery or do we have to get it from Palm directly?
  17.    #17  
    I posted a new thread. I got the new battery. Pics included!

    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-pre-palm.html

Posting Permissions