1.    #1  
    I discovered a few days after getting the Pre in June that some sites had messages that were being cut off. This has mostly happened in interfaces meant to simulate IMs or email, but more concerningly, it affects many "terms of service" boxes as well, making it impossible to see what you're agreeing to (for example, GoDaddy's checkout page, which I can't link to because I only have 3 posts as I write this, though it may only work if you add a domain to your cart. Yes, I really tried to order a domain from my phone while at a restaurant.)

I've managed to reproduce this behavior reliably here, if you visit with your Pre:

(well, I can't include that link either, so let's just say it's kudla dot org slash scrollbars dot html)

In other words, the "overflow=scroll" style is being interpreted on the Pre as "overflow=hidden", and there are dummy "scrollbars" added at the edges of the element, but they seem to do nothing. Two-fingered drag (as on the iPhone) doesn't work. Neither does tap and drag. Neither does orange+drag, shift+drag or sym+drag. Neither does tap, hold and drag.

Has anyone found a way to do this, or did Palm simply leave their browser unfinished?
    I've noticed that on other web pages as well. Its quite annoying and I haven't found a way around it yet.......
    Sadly, it is true - this and iFrames don't work on the Pre browser. It is terribly annoying, as it makes a good number of Web sites (incl. my own) unusable on the Pre.

And, yes, the browser is incomplete. It doesn't even have the function of loading to a named anchor on the page (i.e. site.com/page.html#chapter1 would bring you to the beginning of Chapter 1 as per the name assigned to that spot on the page).
    Last edited by Bag of Leaves; 08/09/2009 at 03:30 AM.
    anyone get the weird problem where you scroll down on a page and it gets cut off by grey and refreshing doesn't usually help? I have to close browser and reopen and thay usually helps.
    Yeah I have gotten that before. And that kudla.org/scrollbars.html wont open for me...
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    anyone get the weird problem where you scroll down on a page and it gets cut off by grey and refreshing doesn't usually help? I have to close browser and reopen and thay usually helps.
    That has also happened to me. It was a site using frames...
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch2k12 View Post
    Yeah I have gotten that before. And that kudla.org/scrollbars.html wont open for me...
    Oops, my bad. Having to go back and edit because the board doesn't allow URLs must have screwed me up. I meant scrolltest dot html but it's available under both filenames now.
    Yes, but just zoom in even the tiniest bit and the rest of the page will magically appear! Then you can zoom back out to where you were and continue reading. It should be fixed, of course, but at least there is a simple workaround until it gets fixed.
    I can't believe this wasn't fixed with WebOS 1.2! At least they enabled PDF downloading, so now I can check my train schedule.

This is such a glaring bug. Framed windows may be passe in web design, but there are a ton of websites that still use them.
  10.    #10  
    Frames may be passe, but iframes and scrolling divs are certainly in common use (and I just see more scrolling divs as time goes on.) This needs fixing.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bag of Leaves View Post
    Yes, but just zoom in even the tiniest bit and the rest of the page will magically appear! Then you can zoom back out to where you were and continue reading. It should be fixed, of course, but at least there is a simple workaround until it gets fixed.
    i've found if you flip your phone so it goes to landscape and then back again it will then show the page fully.

As for scrollable pages, I guess add it to the list of 'to be completed someday'
    QUICK FIX: Double tap the screen. (and not on a link)
    I have tried the double tapping the screen, going landscape and back, etc. None of these work. The 2 websites I have problems with are a banking website and my kid's school grading website. I can scroll down the list of transactions, etc. until the page just stops.

It makes using my Pre a waste of time when it comes to banking and managing my kid's school affairs.

Does anybody have a solution?
    If you're trying to scroll a div/iFrame/frame, you tap the area you want to scroll and use space to go down or shift+space to go up.

If you're talking about the page getting cut off and showing a checkerboard pattern, just do the zoom-in/zoom-out two-fingered move and the rest of the page will show up.