Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Palm and Sprint keep bragging about the Pre's ability to "run multiple applications at the same time," misleading consumers to believe that the Pre is the only device that can do this.

Other smart phones can run multiple applications at the same time, it is merely the way webOS handles this feature that makes it unique.

I think it would be more appropriate for the marketing to focus on how easy it is to multi-task with the Pre, rather than advertising something that the Blackberry has been doing for a long time.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    i think it is marketed that way because of the iphone. my 700wx did multi-tasking too but seeing as sprint is going after the iphone crowd with the pre then that is probably why it is worded that way.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I don't see a problem with what they're doing and I've not seen anything misleading about it. It's not misleading unless they mislead. They don't say anything that's not true.

They shouldn't be responsible for educating people on other devices, just their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    Palm and Sprint keep bragging about the Pre's ability to "run multiple applications at the same time," misleading consumers to believe that the Pre is the only device that can do this.

Other smart phones can run multiple applications at the same time, it is merely the way webOS handles this feature that makes it unique.

I think it would be more appropriate for the marketing to focus on how easy it is to multi-task with the Pre, rather than advertising something that the Blackberry has been doing for a long time.
    What is untrue or misleading about saying what the Pre can do? They don't even imply that it is the only phone that can do that. They focus on it probably as a direct swipe at the Iphone, which doesn't multi-task. Beyond that, Sprint does mention the cards and even shows them in their ads.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    What is untrue or misleading about saying what the Pre can do? They don't even imply that it is the only phone that can do that. They focus on it probably as a direct swipe at the Iphone, which doesn't multi-task. Beyond that, Sprint does mention the cards and even shows them in their ads.
    I've seen adds that say that the Pre can run multiple applications at the same time and the iPhone can't. This is not true. The iPhone can have multiple applications running at the same time, they just don't have the card interface for easy switching between apps.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Just curious, but when the BlackBerry is running multiple apps, are the apps in the background suspended or actively running?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by DonBakke View Post
    Just curious, but when the BlackBerry is running multiple apps, are the apps in the background suspended or actively running?
    in the background actively running.

In fact, the newer OS updates for the BB allow you to set your left side convenience key to bring up a list of (5) apps that you having running so that you can more easily switch between them.

The tricky part about having these apps running in the background is that sometimes you lose track of what's running and it depletes your memory.
    Woah Woah, wait a minute here, are you guys saying I missed a commercial where they say the Pre is the ONLY phone or first phone that can multitask?
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I think there are 2 reasons for that remark

1) Older Palm Developed Applications did not have Multitasking
    2) Direct Attack agenst the iPhone
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    What's wrong with that? If the other phones can do that why don't they say it? Palm and Sprint are doing it right.
    no, he is saying that since other phones can do it, palm should not be making as big a deal as they are. However I think its UI that makes it special.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Multitasking??????
    I've seen adds that say that the Pre can run multiple applications at the same time and the iPhone can't. This is not true. The iPhone can have multiple applications running at the same time, they just don't have the card interface for easy switching between apps.
    So aside from the MP3 player, the iPhone doesn't quit other apps when you leave the app? I don't have one, but I always thought that was the knock again the iPhone, that it can't multitask. (Maybe it saves state so that it appears the app didn't quit when it reloads, but that's not multitasking)
    and aapl made a HUGE deal about copy and paste?
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
    The Iphone can only have a few core apps running at the same time. It is not a real multi-tasking operating system at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    And you don't have a problem with "My phone can read my mind?"

Ahhh!

Don't scar us like that by putting her picture up.

You know what she is really thinking?

"I am now going to drink your blood..."

- Craig
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    no, he is saying that since other phones can do it, palm should not be making as big a deal as they are. However I think its UI that makes it special.
    Exactly. Running multiple apps at the same time is nothing new, but the way webOS allows you to multi task is definitely new.

I just don't want the Pre to lose credit by making people think it's the only phone that can run multiple apps.
    Exactly. Running multiple apps at the same time is nothing new, but the way webOS allows you to multi task is definitely new.

I just don't want the Pre to lose credit by making people think it's the only phone that can run multiple apps.
    Just like the credit Apple lost with the masses cuz of their copy and paste commercials?
    Give me a break. Even an ***** could figure out the pre ads are directed at the iphone that can not multitask. This is not rocket science.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Give me a break. Even an ***** could figure out the pre ads are directed at the iphone that can not multitask. This is not rocket science.
    The verbiage being used is "ability to run multiple applications at the same time."

The iPhone can do this.

It's not rocket science.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast