Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 86
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    Hparsons, I agree there's no need for name cqlling; certainly not my intent. I'm glad you agree that thr iphone's core apps multitask. This was not clear in your prior note.
    ...
    So when you said "The illogical hparsons is back at it again" you "certainly" weren't intending to call names? Certainly???? C'mon, a simple apology would have been more "logical", and more honest.
  2. onebelow0's Avatar
    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    #62  
    how bout this for questionable. I saw a shorter pre ad the other night on USA network that showed the pale one (as I call her) clicking an event on her calendar and hitting a button that popped up an email that said running late (pre-addressed to the attendees) and she just click send. I can't even figure out how to associate a contact with an event. Is this something they are going to add? Although I will admit I haven't played with the calendar that much.
  3. Adjei's Avatar
    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by glamisfanatic View Post
    off base? Your post is talking about how people can easily be mislead by what it says. Thats their problem not sprints.

    Apple does a similar thing with the iPhones video editing, boasting about it saying how its so great making you think its the first of its kind.

    Not off base at all
    Please show me any ad Apple has stating that only it does things and other phones don't do similarly.
  4. Adjei's Avatar
    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    actually, they are blatantly saying that the iPhone can't

    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-w-new-ad.html
    LOL I want them to show me an advertisment by Apple saying a similar phone can't do something like what Sprint is doing. Apple should even sue them for false advertising since the iphone does multitask, just not with 3rd party apps so Sprint is misleading consumers through their dubious ads.
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by onebelow0 View Post
    how bout this for questionable. I saw a shorter pre ad the other night on USA network that showed the pale one (as I call her) clicking an event on her calendar and hitting a button that popped up an email that said running late (pre-addressed to the attendees) and she just click send. I can't even figure out how to associate a contact with an event. Is this something they are going to add? Although I will admit I haven't played with the calendar that much.
    It does already do that.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    So when you said "The illogical hparsons is back at it again" you "certainly" weren't intending to call names? Certainly???? C'mon, a simple apology would have been more "logical", and more honest.
    Actually you are illogical. I'm not trying to call you names; simply pointing out how you think (or don't). Amazing that you still don't think the print ad was misleading (or as gmoney put it "technically inaccurate."). Especially since you don't remember the ad or have access to it.

    It would be helpful to the thread if you don't respond until you have the ad in front of you. Just my 2cents.
  7.    #67  
    I'm starting to feel like a broken record, but maybe I need to clarify this again;

    "Running multiple applications at the same time" and "multi-tasking" is NOT the same thing.

    The former is exactly what it sounds like, the ability to have MORE THAN ONE application running at the same time. The iPhone CAN do this, despite what the Sprint ad is misleading consumers to believe.

    "multi-tasking" is the ability work with these applications simultaneously and easily. This is where WebOS shines over the iPhones OS.

    I guess the best way to illustrate my point is the difference between the ability to run multiple applications and the ability to actually use multiple applications simultaneously.

    Maybe I'm splitting hairs here, but it seems to me that blatantly claiming that the iPhone can not "run multiple applications at the same time" is really pushing the boundaries of misleading consumers.
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    It does already do that.
    I had read something about a month ago that it was going to be a software update, that it would track your current position via GPS and let you know if you were going to run late to an event.
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    Maybe I'm splitting hairs here, but it seems to me that blatantly claiming that the iPhone can not "run multiple applications at the same time" is really pushing the boundaries of misleading consumers.
    Honestly, I think you are splitting hairs here. I believe if you put the two devices in front of the average person, they'll have the impression that one is doing multiple apps at once and the other is not. You can spend a bunch of time showing them charts and explaining to them the technicalities on the iPhone and showing them saved states or background updates, but you won't need to do the same on the Pre. Doesn't matter what you define as the difference between running multiple applications and multitasking. Everytime I have to go back and push that button and re-select the app is a new instance in the real world of using the thing, whether it was back there somewhere running or not. And every time a notification interrupts my flow I'm going to get irritated

    Personally, I don't care that the iPhone can actually multitask because, among other things, it doesn't do it well. This is one area where the Kings of Interface are being shown the way by somebody else. Doesn't happen often, but here we have it. I'm sure the Clone Army is hard at work coming up with a good answer.

    I also hate that Steve Jobs (once again) deprives me of choice because he thinks he needs to save me from myself.
    Last edited by GMoney749; 08/12/2009 at 08:24 PM.
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by jboucicaut View Post
    I had read something about a month ago that it was going to be a software update, that it would track your current position via GPS and let you know if you were going to run late to an event.
    I remember them showing and talking about that before launch, but I don't see it implemented. But if you have a meeting with multiple attendees (and you do have to do the invites on your PC at this point) you will get a notification and have the opportunity to send out a group email.

    One other thing that was shown before launch that I note is missing is the accordion calendar function. Unless I'm missing it.
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Honestly, I think you are splitting hairs here. I believe if you put the two devices in front of the average person, they'll have the impression that one is doing multiple apps at once and the other is not. You can spend a bunch of time showing them charts and explaining to them the technicalities on the iPhone and showing them saved states or background updates, but you won't need to do the same on the Pre. Doesn't matter what you define as the difference between running multiple applications and multitasking. Everytime I have to go back and push that button and re-select the app is a new instance in the real world of using the thing, whether it was back there somewhere running or not. And every time a notification interrupts my flow I'm going to get irritated

    Personally, I don't care that the iPhone can actually multitask because, among other things, it doesn't do it well. This is one area where the Kings of Interface are being shown the way by somebody else. Doesn't happen often, but here we have it. I'm sure the Clone Army is hard at work coming up with a good answer.

    I also hate that Steve Jobs (once again) deprives me of choice because he thinks he needs to save me from myself.
    Good point.

    My only fear was someone bashing Sprint in a tech review about the Pre vs iPhone for spreading misleading information about the comparison between the Pre and iPhone.

    As I said before, the fight against the iPhone is a tough one, and I don't want the Pre's credibility put in to question because of some silly marketing verbiage.
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    Actually you are illogical. I'm not trying to call you names; simply pointing out how you think (or don't). Amazing that you still don't think the print ad was misleading (or as gmoney put it "technically inaccurate."). Especially since you don't remember the ad or have access to it.

    It would be helpful to the thread if you don't respond until you have the ad in front of you. Just my 2cents.
    You don't read very well, I never stated I didn't "remember" the ad, as a matter of fact, I stated just the opposite.

    However, since I was at home, I went and looked at the print ad. It specifically says "runs multiple applications at the same time", which is what I said in my post.

    You stated "Palm/Sprint is making a huge mistake focusing on Pre's ability to multitask. " except the ad didn't mention "multitasking" at all.

    Not only that, it's not "Palm/Sprint", it's only Sprint producing the ads.


    Guess my "memory" was better than your "logic" (or did you not have the ad in front of you)?

    Now, as I said, dispense with the name calling. Just because I come to a different conclusion than you doesn't mean I'm "not thinking" or that I'm illogical.

    Funny though, on the one hand you say you're not going to name-call, and then when it's pointed out that you are, you justify it... Logic?
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by jboucicaut View Post
    I had read something about a month ago that it was going to be a software update, that it would track your current position via GPS and let you know if you were going to run late to an event.
    Actually, I think that sources back to an interview where Roger MacNamee talked about the possibilities of Synergy. This is one of the scenarios he spoke of, and did so convincingly enough that I bragged to my friends that the Pre would be able to do it. Obviously, the Pre's not there yet...

    I think that's where it come from, but with no apologies to Really Mobile, I don't have the interview in front of me, and will make no apologies for relying on my memory (it's usually pretty good, and this is just a discussion forum, not a dissertation).
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    ...
    One other thing that was shown before launch that I note is missing is the accordion calendar function. Unless I'm missing it.
    That one is actually there. I missed it too, because I didn't have two events scheduled in the same day when I looked for it. Set an appointment at 8:00am, and another at 4:00pm, and the time inbetween will accordian.

    Again... from memory... Amazing, huh?
  15. #75  
    Hparson, I'm glad you now have the ad in front of you (finally!). Do you agree with it that the iPhone can't run multiple applications at the same time? If so why?
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    I'm starting to feel like a broken record, but maybe I need to clarify this again;

    "Running multiple applications at the same time" and "multi-tasking" is NOT the same thing.

    The former is exactly what it sounds like, the ability to have MORE THAN ONE application running at the same time. The iPhone CAN do this, despite what the Sprint ad is misleading consumers to believe.

    "multi-tasking" is the ability work with these applications simultaneously and easily. This is where WebOS shines over the iPhones OS.

    I guess the best way to illustrate my point is the difference between the ability to run multiple applications and the ability to actually use multiple applications simultaneously.

    Maybe I'm splitting hairs here, but it seems to me that blatantly claiming that the iPhone can not "run multiple applications at the same time" is really pushing the boundaries of misleading consumers.
    SkinFlaps, you might be splitting hairs about the difference between "multitasking" and the "ability to run multiple applications at the same time". I think the differences are very subtle and technical in nature. But your conclusion and mine are the same: Sprint's print ad was misleading. My additional point has been that there's no need for Sprint to do so given the other clear benefits of the Pre.

    That said, I do believe that the iPhone can "multitask" and "run multiple applications at the same time", for core apps. One example: when you're on a call on the iPhone you can browse the web and do a few other things like run certain non-voice applications (NY Times, etc). While doing so a collapsed view of the phone application remains at the top of the same screen showing, among other things, the call duration. Same thing happens if you use other core apps like the voice recorder.

    It's even clearer, I humbly think, that the iPhone can run multiple apps at the same time. Especially since the mails program, for one, gets updated behind the scenes while you work with various apps, including pandora, dialer, etc.

    So the iPhone can multitask and run multiple apps at the same time. But today it does not do this as extensively, easily, and elegantly as the Pre.
    Last edited by Really mobile; 08/13/2009 at 05:43 AM. Reason: added the word "extensively" to the last sentence
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    Hparson, I'm glad you now have the ad in front of you (finally!). Do you agree with it that the iPhone can't run multiple applications at the same time? If so why?
    I disagree that Palm/Sprint is doing anything misleading. (Palm didn't run the ad)
    I disagree that the ad itself is misleading.
    I do believe that you didn't know what the heck you were talking about when you had the ad in front of you (or not, but you seem to believe it should be a requirement) and claimed the ad talked about multi-tasking.
    I do believe that I answer your specifics on this until you change your attitude when speaking with me directly (and acknowledge your own errors in your statements, even when you had the ad in front of you, supposedly).

    Face it, you don't like anyone disagreeing with you. The whole point of the thread was the OP posting his opinion. I don't need an ad in front of me to know whether or not it was "misleading". He didn't talk about the facts presented in the ad, he talked about it being "misleading". As a matter of fact, the OP didn't mention a particular ad.

    He was probably right. To some, the ad campaigns may misleading, but that's by their own interpretation of the ads. Different people walked away with different interpretations.

    You walked away with the interpretation that the ad said the iPhone couldn't multi-task. Even though it didn't say that, that was what it lead you to believe. Misleading? Yes, for you.

    I walked away with the interpretation that the ad was saying you couldn't go to Apple's App store, download an App, and automatically expect it to be able to run at the same time as any of the other Apps, and that you could expect that from Palm's App Catalog. Misleading? Nope, not for me.

    Now, you can decide for yourself which of those two views Sprint wanted you to walk away with. I believe I saw in the ad what Sprint wanted people to see. So, bottom line - I don't believe Sprint was trying to mislead people.

    And, my memory was spot on. That one is a fact.
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I disagree that Palm/Sprint is doing anything misleading. (Palm didn't run the ad)
    I disagree that the ad itself is misleading.
    I do believe that you didn't know what the heck you were talking about when you had the ad in front of you (or not, but you seem to believe it should be a requirement) and claimed the ad talked about multi-tasking.
    I do believe that I answer your specifics on this until you change your attitude when speaking with me directly (and acknowledge your own errors in your statements, even when you had the ad in front of you, supposedly).

    Face it, you don't like anyone disagreeing with you. The whole point of the thread was the OP posting his opinion. I don't need an ad in front of me to know whether or not it was "misleading". He didn't talk about the facts presented in the ad, he talked about it being "misleading". As a matter of fact, the OP didn't mention a particular ad.

    He was probably right. To some, the ad campaigns may misleading, but that's by their own interpretation of the ads. Different people walked away with different interpretations.

    You walked away with the interpretation that the ad said the iPhone couldn't multi-task. Even though it didn't say that, that was what it lead you to believe. Misleading? Yes, for you.

    I walked away with the interpretation that the ad was saying you couldn't go to Apple's App store, download an App, and automatically expect it to be able to run at the same time as any of the other Apps, and that you could expect that from Palm's App Catalog. Misleading? Nope, not for me.

    Now, you can decide for yourself which of those two views Sprint wanted you to walk away with. I believe I saw in the ad what Sprint wanted people to see. So, bottom line - I don't believe Sprint was trying to mislead people.

    And, my memory was spot on. That one is a fact.
    a lot of words with no logic/context. have fun hparson.
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    a lot of words with no logic/context. have fun hparson.
    And you seem to want to turn this thread into a personal attack rather than a discussion. Not my idea of "fun".

    BTW, it's hparsons. Right there in front of you...
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    And you seem to want to turn this thread into a personal attack rather than a discussion. Not my idea of "fun".

    BTW, it's hparsons. Right there in front of you...
    yep I made a mistake. you see, I'm not perfect. no one is. To me calling you names would have entailed saying you are a fanboy, b...tch, nerd, etc. I would never do that. I simply provided direct and constructive feedback on your write-up...I have difficulty piecing your writing together, not just on this thread, but in general. I guess we all have different writing styles and so I need to let this go (and will).

    To me multitasking/running apps at the same time means about the same thing and so in all my posts I used the terms interchangeably.

    You answered my last question about the print ad. You do not believe the iPhone can run multiple applications at the same time and so you do not believe the ad was misleading. And so let's agree to disagree on this and leave it at that.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions