Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    move along, nothing to see here......it's a big stretch to say Sprint is misleading.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    The verbiage being used is "ability to run multiple applications at the same time."

The iPhone can do this.
    Only with Apple-authored applications. Third-party applications can only receive push-notifications when not running.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    The iPhone can have multiple applications running at the same time, they just don't have the card interface for easy switching between apps.
    How????
    The only way I was able to do this is by jail-breaking (now considered illegal in Apple's eye) and then utilizing Backgrounder
  4. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    I just don't want the Pre to lose credit by making people think it's the only phone that can run multiple apps.
    Their ads don't MAKE people think that. They only say that the Pre can do it.

If people think that, it's because they didn't listen to what was said. They jumped to a conclusion that was never implied.

xtn
    Quote Originally Posted by darkfox View Post
    How????
    The only way I was able to do this is by jail-breaking (now considered illegal in Apple's eye) and then utilizing Backgrounder
    All of the Iphone's core apps multi task. Only the ignorant here seem to think they can't.

If you start a reply on Precentral in Safari, hit home, open an email to copy and paste a link and go back to Safari everything you typed will still be there. Same for when you open a text message and such. The Ipod, email, phone, messaging and browser all multi task. Including the ability to be on the phone and get data at the same time.

Also, many of the apps on the Pre are saved state returns. Which is a double edge sword since its not truly multi tasking. You can see that when you open a browser window, type something in a reply field, change to a different program and go back to the browser which will sometimes reload and you lose everything. Also when you load something in the browser, switch windows the card will not actually update until you go back into it and it will take a couple of seconds as the data is reloaded from saved state. I think this is mostly due to the Pre having a very limited drawing capability as is evident from how easily it gets bogged down when scrolling or rendering movement on screen so Palm had to jew it down to keep things moving at a somewhat acceptable level. Not really a big deal since the interface is pretty slick.

I don't think the ads are misleading though. I do think the Pre's "advantages" are smaller than people make them out to be. Especially since many of these advantages are currently implemented very poorly. This hopefully will change as the Pre gets some useful apps and option adding OS updates.
    Last edited by Aridon; 08/07/2009 at 07:33 PM.
  6.    #26  
    The OP of THIS thread posted a pic of the same ad I saw in a recent magazine.

The ad clearly states that the iPhone can NOT run multiple applications at the same time.

I'm all for going after the iPhone because I think the Pre is superior in many ways, but I don't want the Pre to lose credibility because Sprint is spreading misleading information.

That is all.
    Well I don't think it's misleading, just clever. Effective ads are about catch phrases and one word banners that standout. It's like the Iphone ad that touts its ability to now copy-and-paste and do voice dialing when other phones did that for years. It really doesn't matter that other phones do it as long as the focus stays on the iphone. It works.

As for Iphone's multitasking capabilities, they're minimal on a stock phone. And most users will not jailbreak.
  8.    #28  
    I've seen several instances in this thread of people using the term "multi tasking".

It makes sense, because that is where the Pre shines.

However, as referenced in the original post, the verbiage in question is "ability to run multiple applications at the same time"

I'm really not trying to stir up a big argument here, just some food for thought.
    So what? Apple does this and people actually believe that it was the first phone to have 3g, or the first to actually do video, its good advertizing. At least the pre points out a useful feature to sell on
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    If you're mislead by what the sprint commercials say, then thats your deal. Don't blame sprint for your inability to understand things. Complain about iPhones video editing feature, which wasn't the first of its kind either...
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

RIP

11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike20PR View Post
    So what? Apple does this and people actually believe that it was the first phone to have 3g, or the first to actually do video, its good advertizing. At least the pre points out a useful feature to sell on
    Quote Originally Posted by glamisfanatic View Post
    If you're mislead by what the sprint commercials say, then thats your deal. Don't blame sprint for your inability to understand things. Complain about iPhones video editing feature, which wasn't the first of its kind either...
    What the heck are you talking about? The level of off-base responses on this forum never ceases to amaze me.
    What the heck are you talking about? The level of off-base responses on this forum never ceases to amaze me.
    Well you are obviously blowing a statement like 'ability to run multiple apps at the same time' as misleading... Its not like it says 'where others dont' or 'never seen before' you are making an ocean out of a puddle really...
    (\__/)
    off base? Your post is talking about how people can easily be mislead by what it says. Thats their problem not sprints.

Apple does a similar thing with the iPhones video editing, boasting about it saying how its so great making you think its the first of its kind.

Not off base at all
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

RIP

14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike20PR View Post
    Well you are obviously blowing a statement like 'ability to run multiple apps at the same time' as misleading... Its not like it says 'where others dont' or 'never seen before' you are making an ocean out of a puddle really...
    actually, they are blatantly saying that the iPhone can't

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-w-new-ad.html
    [QUOTE=SkinFlaps;1812294]actually, they are blatantly saying that the iPhone can't

[URL="

Well it can't. What you described earlier wasn't multitasking cuz everyone knows that safari picks off where it left off last time it was used so it doesn't mean it was still running in the background. Plus the cards on the pre are actually active, try flicking the contacts list and minimizing, you will see it still running even on card styile, as well as tweed loading new tweets also in card view, or even tilting the pre while the browser is in card view, you will see it switch to lanscape before your eyes as well. You can try to find any loophole you can but the bottom line is that the iphone CAN'T multitask cept being able to use the ipod in the background so why you trying to take away credit to where the pre hurts it the most naming it a small advantage?
    (\__/)
    I've stated this before and will do so again. Palm/Sprint is making a huge mistake focusing on Pre's ability to multitask.

First, I agree that they are doing so in a misleading way by stating in their newspaper ad that the iPhone can't multitask. That's incorrect. The iPhone certainly can't multitask to the extent that the Pre can, but it can do so for their core apps. Mike20PR and others that disagree with this more than likely have NEVER played with an iPhone. So they are babbling out of pure ignorance (which I guess they say is bliss).

Second, and more importantly, it's better for Palm to focus on how the Pre multitasks - i.e., the Card System. This is something the iPhone can't replicate today and something lay people will get easily. Simply showing cards won't suffice here. They need to blow this out in a big way or they WILL lose their competitive advantage with nothing to show for it.

Why do I say that? Well, I strongly believe Apple will come up with a better way to manage multitasking applications, even if it's just for their core apps. When Apple does so they will advertise the heck out of it the same way they advertised their new copy and paste functionality. Once Apple has this functionality, the Pre advantage from a layman perspective is gone (even if the Pre can multitask more apps). If this happens people on this forum will fume that Apple is now claiming to have invented the 'Card System' for multitasking.

Bottom line: Apple will build on and really extend the Card System that the Pre has. If Palm does not advertise this effectively NOW, they will lose a key selling point for the Pre for lay people.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    I've stated this before and will do so again. Palm/Sprint is making a huge mistake focusing on Pre's ability to multitask.

First, I agree that they are doing so in a misleading way by stating in their newspaper ad that the iPhone can't multitask. That's incorrect. The iPhone certainly can't multitask to the extent that the Pre can, but it can do so for their core apps. Mike20PR and others that disagree with this more than likely have NEVER played with an iPhone. So they are babbling out of pure ignorance (which I guess they say is bliss).

Second, and more importantly, it's better for Palm to focus on how the Pre multitasks - i.e., the Card System. This is something the iPhone can't replicate today and something lay people will get easily. Simply showing cards won't suffice here. They need to blow this out in a big way or they WILL lose their competitive advantage with nothing to show for it.

Why do I say that? Well, I strongly believe Apple will come up with a better way to manage multitasking applications, even if it's just for their core apps. When Apple does so they will advertise the heck out of it the same way they advertised their new copy and paste functionality. Once Apple has this functionality, the Pre advantage from a layman perspective is gone (even if the Pre can multitask more apps). If this happens people on this forum will fume that Apple is now claiming to have invented the 'Card System' for multitasking.

Bottom line: Apple will build on and really extend the Card System that the Pre has. If Palm does not advertise this effectively NOW, they will lose a key selling point for the Pre for lay people.
    excellent point.

People in this forum keep forgetting that although we obviously think the Pre is better than the iPhone, the common consensus is the opposite. I'd be willing to bet that at least 9/10 random consumers have heard of the iPhone whereas you might find 1/100 that have heard of the Pre.

Point is, even though I think Sprint has been doing an excellent job with their Pre and "Now Network" advertising lately, they still have a looooong way to go to give the iPhone any true competition. I'd hate to see any chance they have ruined when someone points out that the advertisements are spreading false information about the iPhone and making the Pre sound superior in ways that technically it is not. The Pre can't afford to lose any credibility in the battle with the iPhone.
    True, hmmm that makes me wonder, which should be the next selling point then? Synergy? I bet that can turn a few heads if advertized correctly for the business and social networking type as a pioneer ability only to the pre without being accused of false advertizing
    (\__/)
  19.    #39  
    I think as @Really said above, it is the ease of multitasking that really makes the Pre stand out. Simply saying that it can run multiple applications at the same time does not differentiate the Pre from the iPhone or Blackberry.

Synergy would be an excellent feature to focus on if done properly, especially with how popular social networking has become.
    For the topic at hand, all smartphones will be marketed against the iphone even in the make of the smartphone isn't specifically going after it because well they have a huge market share. Same for blackberry they have a good chunk of the market too but more business user than average joe consumer. Right now the pre is more for non business users but that may change in the future. It is obvious that palm wants to target teh market of consumers that aren't already smartphone users and pick up iphone and blackberry users who aren't particular about a very specific aspect of those devices.

I've seen adds that say that the Pre can run multiple applications at the same time and the iPhone can't. This is not true. The iPhone can have multiple applications running at the same time, they just don't have the card interface for easy switching between apps.
    iphone works in much the same way that the palmOS did, single tasked with saved states with certain things allowed limited multitasking.

Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    All of the Iphone's core apps multi task. Only the ignorant here seem to think they can't.

If you start a reply on Precentral in Safari, hit home, open an email to copy and paste a link and go back to Safari everything you typed will still be there. Same for when you open a text message and such. The Ipod, email, phone, messaging and browser all multi task. Including the ability to be on the phone and get data at the same time.
    If you begin loading a page and go to a different app and come back to the browser will the page have completed loading? I'm told this does not happen. Which indicates no multitasking. An already loaded page with text entered can simply have its state saved to go to another app and come back to it. This was done all the time on the old palmOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Also, many of the apps on the Pre are saved state returns. Which is a double edge sword since its not truly multi tasking. You can see that when you open a browser window, type something in a reply field, change to a different program and go back to the browser which will sometimes reload and you lose everything. Also when you load something in the browser, switch windows the card will not actually update until you go back into it and it will take a couple of seconds as the data is reloaded from saved state. I think this is mostly due to the Pre having a very limited drawing capability as is evident from how easily it gets bogged down when scrolling or rendering movement on screen so Palm had to jew it down to keep things moving at a somewhat acceptable level. Not really a big deal since the interface is pretty slick.
    This simply isn't true. Name the apps that can't be actively running while another app is actively running. I can open the app catalog go to another app and come back and the app catalog completed loading while I worked on another app. Tweed and spaz I can open it and switch to another app and go back to it and it will have loaded up all the info while I was working with other apps. I can enter a URL in the browser and go to another app before a page even begins loading, come back to the browser and the page is loaded. I can run pandora, get GPS nav from sprint nav, and have a passenger browsing the web. Note not all apps will show the activity when in card view reduces processing power needed to redraw so much info. But this does not mean that aren't actively running while other apps are actively running.
    Last edited by StoneRyno; 08/11/2009 at 12:28 PM. Reason: missed a bracket for the quote segement
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast