Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I get a lot on numbers that I do not want to save, but at the same time be able to identify the number when it calls or I need to call it. Is there any way that I can set a reminder to an unsaved number to remember what that person called/text about? Thanks
    I don't think so, but your request almost seems contradictory to me (YMMV).

1. You want the phone to identify the number when that person calls.
    2. Want to be able to recall that number if you need to call it.
    3. Want to be able to set a reminder about what the person might be contacting you about.
    BUT...
    4. Don't want to save the number.

Any one of 1-3 wants alone would seem to suggest that the person/number is worth recording in your contacts. If your interest in those things is temporary, I'd just make a contact, then delete once it's no longer relevant.

Or am I missing something?
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bkemp88 View Post
    I get a lot on numbers that I do not want to save, but at the same time be able to identify the number when it calls or I need to call it. Is there any way that I can set a reminder to an unsaved number to remember what that person called/text about? Thanks
    It took some thinking, but I believe I see what you want. Let me confirm:

You get a call from a number (say 888-555-1212). It's a telemarketer from, say, WeAnnoyCorp.

You want to attach a note to 888-555-1212 that says "WeAnnoyCorp. Tell you that you asked to be on the Do Not Call List on August 5. Yell at them that they are in violation of the law!"

Obviously, you don't want to create a contact for WeAnnoyCorp.

Is this what you want to do?

If so, then no... The contact reminder feature on the Pre is cool (I never thought I'd use it, but I've found a few uses for it already), but it works only with actual contacts.

You'll need to resign yourself to adding WeAnnoyCorp as a contact, if you really want to be able to do anything with it.

Otherwise, you'll need to find another way to do this. For example, keep a list of phone numbers in the memo app (maybe one memo for each number or create a memo that contains all the numbers). Get in the habit of looking at the memos when you get a call. Not the handiest, but...

Personally, I find that with Google adding in contacts that I e-mail but once, my contacts list is already filled with things I don't care about. So, I've grown accustomed to having some "junk" in there and adding WeAnnoyCorp as a contact, in order to set reminders (or to add in things like a soundless ringtone), just isn't the end of the world.
    My suggestion is to just add them with a prefix, add the memo, and then periodically go back and audit your temp prefix for need.

Ex:
    TempDirectTVContracter - memo: follow up with the wiring install
    TempPlummer - memo: check on time for install

If you get a call it will pop up with the name, the memo and if you are done with them after the call you can simply delete the contact. Or set a task to occur once a month that reminds you to audit TempX.