Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    My lovely little Pre of 2 weeks started with a small oreo effect and now is worse. Enough so (coupled with a bad battery that last only 3 hours and an intermittent keyboard light issue) that I decided to exchange it. Went to my Sprint store and was told they would have to ship in a replacement. The rep couldn't say whether it would be a refurb or not.

Besides the fact I won't accept a refurb for a 2 week old phone, I didn't think to ask if they had any Pre's in stock. So here's the $25,000 question: If they have them in stock, are the Sprint stores under any obligation to replace the Pre with new inventory or is it policy to get a replacement ordered in?

I plan to call back tomorrow to ask if they have any in stock.

Thanks,

Jamboaz
    Since its two weeks old ask to do an exchange, bring the box and the charger.
    If it is within the 30days they are supposed to exchange it for a new one not a refurb.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    After returning 3 Pres already, I believe that I fully understand sprint's return/exchange policy. Within your first 30 days with any device, Sprint is either to return or exchange a device barring that there is no fault of the owner(water damage, cracked scree, etc). Being that you plan to get another pre, the sprint store which you made the purchase from should be able to swap out ur defected device for another with no problem. But heres the catch. If you purchased it from an authorized dealer(individually franchised) then they are allowed to set you up for a replacement phone. A refurbished phone that you won't receive for at least a day or two. Whenever new devices come out, buy it from a CORPORATE store. They can "crack" a box and switch out the defected device for a brand spanking new device. And for the keyboard haters, this reply was typed on my pre. HOLLA!
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Great info. How do you distinguish a corp store vs auth dealer? The store appears to sell nothing but Sprint, employees all wore Sprint shirts, all signs in the place where Sprint. I'm thinking that is a corporate store, but how do I tell?

Jamboaz
    This is a problem I have with the stores as they are hard to tell apart. Search for Sprint stores on their website and they don't distinguish it. Signage is the same. I couldn't tell them apart until I had a problem. Then, even though I'm billed online by Sprint, I have to go to a certain store to solve the problem for the first 30 days. After 30 days, I'm back on corporate terrain. Frustrating. I think they need to resolve issues and then deal with it between themselves afterward if they are on the website as being a ReadyNow store.
    Go to Sprint.com click on find a store. Look at the name of the store. If it just says Sprint Store it should be a corporate store. If it says Sprint Store by (insert name here) then it's not a corporate store.
    That's right. It does add "by name" afterward. Interestingly though, I looked again at my print out from a couple weeks ago and it didn't have that. They all were just Sprint Stores on the sheet I used when I was heading out to the stores. I don't know if that's new, not on the print view or what but it's definitely different.

Still, they don't list stores like Best Buy. If it's on the Sprint website, it should be covered by all of them.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Excellent. The map shows it is a Corporate, ReadyNow, better-be-able-to-open-a-new-box-and-swap-Pre's store.

Thanks!
    I personally think Sprint is great. I had a Pre with a lot of twist in the front. I called my dude at Sprint just to ask him how much play in the face was too much. He immediately said I'll have a new one for you tomorrow. So the next day I went in, they had received 5 or 6 phones. He took everyone of them out of the package and together we picked the best one of the bunch. My new Pre is unreal. Battery even seems to last longer than my older one. This is not a refurb phone but a brand new one and it has no, I mean no twist in the screen at all. Thank you Sprint you guys have been great. iphone who? AT&T what?
    P.S. I'm a novice musician, please check out my work if you get a chance, thanks much.

http://www.youtube.com/user/2ndDayRiffs
    Quote Originally Posted by eli783 View Post
    After returning 3 Pres already, I believe that I fully understand sprint's return/exchange policy. Within your first 30 days with any device, Sprint is either to return or exchange a device barring that there is no fault of the owner(water damage, cracked scree, etc). Being that you plan to get another pre, the sprint store which you made the purchase from should be able to swap out ur defected device for another with no problem. But heres the catch. If you purchased it from an authorized dealer(individually franchised) then they are allowed to set you up for a replacement phone. A refurbished phone that you won't receive for at least a day or two. Whenever new devices come out, buy it from a CORPORATE store. They can "crack" a box and switch out the defected device for a brand spanking new device. And for the keyboard haters, this reply was typed on my pre. HOLLA!
    I think this is true statement. I bought it from a sprint store but not a corporate store and when I had problems with it a couple of weeks after the phone release I took it back and they made me run around town to a different store. They didn't have any in stock. So I went to another sprint store and the ******* there told me that my phone was water damaged which is bull****. He wouldn't change my phone. I came in because the battery was loose and kept on shutting down. Well, with a piece of tape I learned to live with it and don't have that prolblem anymore. But for him to say it was water damage without even opening up the phone is BS.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I purchased a Pre at launch and just returned it to the corporate store I bought it at due to a defect no more than three days ago. Even though I was passed the 30 day mark they still cracked open a box and swapped me out a brand new Pre free of charge. Not only that, but I convinced the woman helping me to give me the wall charger with it. Now I have a brand new Pre with better build quality (build date 7/24/09) and TWO wall chargers. Is this heaven or what?
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I can happily report the Corporate store did swap it. It was a matter of calling and asking, "Do you have any palm pre's in stock?"
    Rep: "Yes."
    Me: "Ok, so I can bring in my defective pre right now and swap it, right?"
    Rep: "Yes."

The Sprint store Rep was great to work with when I got there. He was polite and very helpful. No problems at all.

I now have a new pre that has the most minimal of oreo effect. I plan to contact Sprint and give some kudos to the rep.

Thanks for everyone's help,

Jamboaz
    Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    Since its two weeks old ask to do an exchange, bring the box and the charger.
    Bring only the phone and battery for the exchange. Thats what I did and they gave me a brand new one, so I now have 2 of everything.
    I bought on launch day and my pre wouldn't charge from the usb and the screen had discoloration at the bottom. I showed them and they said they would order a replacement, but wanted me to wait until I got my rebate back. Why that would matter, I have no idea. Then they gave me a refurb. I didn't realize that it was a refurb, but didn't question when I went in to swap out. The refurb pre somehow erased all my contacts from my palm profile. After spending 3 hours putting them back in and getting it set up, I backed up my pre and went to bed. When I awoke, my pre said it needed to be activated again. After activating it again, I found that it had erased all of my contacts again. To top things off, the volume button doesn't work to increase the volume. I went to the Sprint corporate store and they ordered me another refurb pre. I think i'm going to raise holy hell to try and get one off the shelf..I'm a new customer and I think they are shady. My first bill had $10 in Sprint charges that I wasn't told about. Not for any service, just added costs onto my $70 simply everything plan. It should be called the $80 simply everything plan plus tax.I like how they didn't bill me for two months so I couldn't see their shannigans and cancel my agreement.
  16. SAO
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    So I bought my Pre from a seller on Craigslist, and have absolutely no idea where he bought it at. It has started to have the "oreo effect" and I'm thinking of taking it back to Sprint to get a swap out done. Does anyone know how I should go about doing this? Am I better just biting the bullet and using TEP? It's a manufacturing defect so I would think it should be covered.
    Why can you just go into the store and ask them if they are a corporate store or not. Also, only corporate stores have the in house technicians.

If you are in Manhattan, go to the 23rd Street and 5th ave store, that is a corporate store.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2nd Day Riffs View Post
    I personally think Sprint is great. I had a Pre with a lot of twist in the front. I called my dude at Sprint just to ask him how much play in the face was too much. He immediately said I'll have a new one for you tomorrow. So the next day I went in, they had received 5 or 6 phones. He took everyone of them out of the package and together we picked the best one of the bunch. My new Pre is unreal. Battery even seems to last longer than my older one. This is not a refurb phone but a brand new one and it has no, I mean no twist in the screen at all. Thank you Sprint you guys have been great. iphone who? AT&T what?
    Hmmm. Best of the bunch? They should all be the same quality!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricia View Post
    Hmmm. Best of the bunch? They should all be the same quality!
    You would think, however, some had more play in the screen twist than the one I picked out.
    P.S. I'm a novice musician, please check out my work if you get a chance, thanks much.

http://www.youtube.com/user/2ndDayRiffs
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I called sprint yesterday (where I bought mine) and the guy said I should take it to another sprint store across town so that a tech could take a look at it and see if they could fix it or tell me what to do.
    Any thoughts on this?

Edit:
    I just want a new one and it is still within the 30 days.
    It started with no give now it is a bit more noticeable.
    If I lift the slider up a bit I am able to twist somewhat noticeably clockwise.
    Last edited by j0sh097; 08/11/2009 at 04:09 PM.